Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #46
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I remember the original Chrome had a 5MB limit, but I'm sure they've opened it up since then-must be some other issue?
Not running the latest Chrome, but it's pretty close. No matter. I have dial-up at home, so worthless otherwise, and ereaders are all fully packed with plenty to read, without going online.

Last edited by jgaiser; 08-10-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Edit: Just noticed. This makes 1000 posts.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #47
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
I guess I still don't get it, except maybe for #3 above. On a PC, there has been the Kindle 4 PC reader (an eBook-specific browser if you want to call it that) available ever since the Kindle came out. I still download books to my PC for easier cataloging and control and then use my home wifi to transfer them to the Kindle of my choice. The Kindle 4 PC program (I don't like calling it an "app") does exactly that. I suspect it would run on any Apple computers that emulate PC software. If you're using a tablet, your mileage may vary if the K4PC won't run on the tablet. But with the pathetic battery life of the larger, heavier backlit tablets, you wouldn't get much reading time before having to find an outlet to plug in. I don't find them to be viable reading devices if for no other reason.
Kindle for mac is available, and it doesn't have the same restrictions as the iOS Kindle app, so no need of an emulator or virtual machine.

For tablet users, either the native app, or the cloud version are your only options.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #48
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
This offers native support for linux. I like. And, fyi, K4PC did not come out until some time after the Kindle was released.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #49
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
I guess I still don't get it, except maybe for #3 above.
I think Amazon is just experimenting with different ways to allow people to get access to their content- "Kindle Everywhere". Right now, HTML5 is still a work in progress, but the promise is definitely there.

Amazon is supporting a LOT of different platforms right now, which means they need developer and support staff for each one. If, some time in the future, HTML5 (or 6, or 8) is robust enough to handle things as good as or better than the native apps, it would be very beneficial to be able to have "One platform, Everywhere".
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #50
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
If, some time in the future, HTML5 (or 6, or 8) is robust enough to handle things as good as or better than the native apps, it would be very beneficial to be able to have "One platform, Everywhere".
With the rush to the cloud that is currently in progress, that will probably be sooner rather than later.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #51
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
It's a 50MB limit for Web Apps in iOS, for now-is that the limit you are hitting?
Doesn't seem to be - surely it can load up my archive list and show a few covers in under 50MB? The Kindle for Ipad app has no issue.

I went thru three levels of support and they escalated it the programming group. The last support guy told me most of the 'big' libraries they had looked at had 100 books .... I have over 4,000. It looks like they are trying to grab the list all at one time (instead of in chunks, as the MYK page does) and it takes longer than the timeout value someone hard-coded into the app (yeah, writing programs for a living makes it so easy to see what someone else has done wrong, especially if you had to actually get a degree and had professors who tore up your designs if you didn't account for all cases...). Having had to write full-size applications that ran into megasize datasets, I know how easy it is to take be a bit lazy and then have to go back and account for very large sets that come back in chunks that are a bit easier to digest).

The Kindle for iPad app is much better, but the Read Now does work (funny that you only end up with one Cloud Reader app in your Kindle list, even if you install on two computers at the same time, too) and presumably would only use a book license while it was in use (which looks like it would be great for library computer installations, where patrons read at a desktop location, which is quite popular with the homeless population at our downtown library).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #52
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
(funny that you only end up with one Cloud Reader app in your Kindle list, even if you install on two computers at the same time, too) and presumably would only use a book license while it was in use (which looks like it would be great for library computer installations, where patrons read at a desktop location, which is quite popular with the homeless population at our downtown library).
Ah, I was wondering how they were going to deal with the limits on Kindle devices/per account with something as potentially open as this.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #53
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I want to select ebook rendering software with the features I want and I buy books independent from the application. Tying the reading app to the store is insane. Why do I have to get different reading features depending one who I bought the book from. I don't understand why people are so caught up in the pissing contest between Apple and Amazon on who gets the 30% when neither of them earned it.

Amazon will probably next drop Kindle for PC and Mac to get rid of the K4PC hack.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #54
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
FYI: Does not support Safari 4.1.3

So, those of us with PPC Macs STILL do not have a way to read Kindle books.

And on the platforms that are supported, Topaz looks like crap.

Last edited by curtw; 08-11-2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: update after looking at a book.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:59 AM   #55
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Ah, I was wondering how they were going to deal with the limits on Kindle devices/per account with something as potentially open as this.
There's no known limit to devices per account. The limit (set by the publisher) is on number of devices a book can be simultaneously read on. Many books have no limit (public domain etc.).

In the case of Cloud Reader, you can run two or more instances of it on the same computer, enabling quick switching between books, or two positions within the same book. Something I wish you could do with a Kindle, or Kindle app...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:33 AM   #56
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Apple's move seems to be pushing ebookstores quickly toward cloud solutions and web apps. Maybe its time to revisit the ideas explored in this thread,
BOOKS IN THE CLOUD without the acrimony.
I'm rather disappointed at the folks who show up to huff, "This app doesn't offer perfection, so what's it good for!" Kind of shows a lack of imagination. Plainly, its a 1.0 version application, but also plainly, there is a lot of potential here.
The KCR was rolled out as a riposte to Apple's -in-app purchasing move. Currently, its one advantage is that it has the big Kindle Store link in the corner. No big deal really, and its unlikely Apple will be shaking in its shoes over this. The most tech challenged Ios customers are still going to head over to iBooks if they can't figure out the Safari bookmark thingy, which is even simpler than going to KCR.
Where KCR might shine is is they offer a cloud subscription model, a la Netflix, or some kind of new pricing model. They would have to convince the publishers to join in , too-which some publishers might. In any event, Apple's move seems to have started a whole new ball game.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:55 AM   #57
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
So, those of us with PPC Macs STILL do not have a way to read Kindle books.
And on the platforms that are supported, Topaz looks like crap.
Safari does not work on ppc Macs?
Old 08-11-2011, 05:08 AM   #58
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Apple's move seems to be pushing ebookstores quickly toward cloud solutions and web apps. Maybe its time to revisit the ideas explored in this thread,
BOOKS IN THE CLOUD without the acrimony.
I'm rather disappointed at the folks who show up to huff, "This app doesn't offer perfection, so what's it good for!" Kind of shows a lack of imagination. Plainly, its a 1.0 version application, but also plainly, there is a lot of potential here.
The KCR was rolled out as a riposte to Apple's -in-app purchasing move. Currently, its one advantage is that it has the big Kindle Store link in the corner. No big deal really, and its unlikely Apple will be shaking in its shoes over this. The most tech challenged Ios customers are still going to head over to iBooks if they can't figure out the Safari bookmark thingy, which is even simpler than going to KCR.
Where KCR might shine is is they offer a cloud subscription model, a la Netflix, or some kind of new pricing model. They would have to convince the publishers to join in , too-which some publishers might. In any event, Apple's move seems to have started a whole new ball game.
What KCR does is open up Kindle books to any device capable of running a modern web browser. Its not just for the iPad. On a computer, dictionary support is less important because the search bar is result at hand.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #59
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There's no known limit to devices per account. The limit (set by the publisher) is on number of devices a book can be simultaneously read on. Many books have no limit (public domain etc.).
Agreed on the public domain/user content, but according to Amazon , there is a known limit to devices per account, and a lower limit by some publishers:

Quote:
Most books and other non-subscription items you purchase from the Kindle store may be simultaneously accessed for your personal use on up to six Kindles (or Kindle compatible devices, such as Kindle for iPhone) registered to your Amazon.com account. If the limit is less than six kindles for a specific title, you'll see the message "Simultaneous Device usage: Up to X simultaneous devices, per publisher limits" on the detail page.
That's why I was wondering how they would count Cloud Reader-I have the Kindle app on 2 computers, my iPad, my Kindle 2, and my iPhone.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #60
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Quote:
Agreed on the public domain/user content, but according to Amazon , there is a known limit to devices per account, and a lower limit by some publishers:

That's why I was wondering how they would count Cloud Reader-I have the Kindle app on 2 computers, my iPad, my Kindle 2, and my iPhone.
That's not a limit on the number of devices you can register. Its a limit on the number of devices you can use simultaneously to read a book.