Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #31
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I agree about the many splits that happened to Palm, along with the various flavors that cropped up as well. I think what ultimately killed Palm and the Clie, was their failure to adapt and grow with the times (I know they are still here, but not really contending). While mobile devices switched over to color and a new UI, Palm rested on their laurels for a while before finally conceding by producing a device that utilized color, albeit in a limited capacity. Their main problem then was they didn't take it further and revolutionize their device.

Meanwhile, well before Palm jumped into the color market, Casio produced the Cassiopeia (the main reason I switched from Palm to begin with) and other companies adopted color screens along with the Windows CE OS. Palm had many opportunities to refine their device and enrich what it could do, yet they never did. Sony did a little bit more with the Clie, for that matter it was starting to look really decent towards its end, but they abandoned it. Whereas, Windows CE evolved into Windows Mobile, which evolved an off-shoot the SmartPhone. I suppose that the Palm OS has remained in the Trio, but I haven't really been impressed with it. There's just so many incredible programs available for the PocketPC that I never saw available for the Palm OS.

What am I getting at? I believe a technology should evolve at a certain rate, and if it doesn't it will eventually either perish or become superseded by better technology and be left in the sidelines. I'm aware there is still a very large user-base with Palm devices, but I simply lost interest when it didn't change while it had the opportunity and the rest of the world left it behind. In my opinion, Palm could still make a very strong comeback if they put some thought into revamping their OS, throw in some bells and whistles, and continue to have a platform people can/will develop for.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:49 PM   #32
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I do feel like the Reader doesn't have a real mainstream user-base. I'm entitled to my opinion! Has Sony released any sales numbers?
I think you're right, WilliamG, regardless of what these techno-geeks believe. Ordinary people haven't even heard of the Sony Reader.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #33
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
I agree about the many splits that happened to Palm, along with the various flavors that cropped up as well. I think what ultimately killed Palm and the Clie, was their failure to adapt and grow with the times (I know they are still here, but not really contending). While mobile devices switched over to color and a new UI, Palm rested on their laurels for a while before finally conceding by producing a device that utilized color, albeit in a limited capacity. Their main problem then was they didn't take it further and revolutionize their device.
I think this can be better understood in terms of money than technology.

The original Palm Pilot created a market, and Palm devices became must-have accessories that Palm couldn't make fast enough. Jeff Hawkins split from Palm with some associates to form Handspring, and make budget devices running Palm Os. Sony joined the party with the Clie line, and produced a number of models (perhaps too many, in fact.)

But the PDA market recapitulated the PC market, only an order of magnitude faster. The original IBM PC also created a market, and created a set of standards others could adopt, and did. Competition became intense, price became the determining factor, and margins grew razor thin. It became harder and harder to make money making and selling PCs, and many companies exited the market. (IBM, who began it all, finally sold its PC operations to Lenovo.)

The same thing happened with PDAs. They become commodity products with commodity pricing and intense pressure on margins. Sony exited the PDA business because PDAs weren't making enough money, and Sony felt its funds could be better invested elsewhere. Handspring and Palm both fell on hard times, with declining revenue, profitability, and stock prices. Palm acquired Handspring to get the Treo, and the Treo is the reason Palm still exists.

Quote:
What am I getting at? I believe a technology should evolve at a certain rate, and if it doesn't it will eventually either perish or become superseded by better technology and be left in the sidelines. I'm aware there is still a very large user-base with Palm devices, but I simply lost interest when it didn't change while it had the opportunity and the rest of the world left it behind. In my opinion, Palm could still make a very strong comeback if they put some thought into revamping their OS, throw in some bells and whistles, and continue to have a platform people can/will develop for.
Technology is a means to an end, not an end in itself. It doesn't matter what technology is in a device, if the device doesn't do something people need.

Palm's challenge compelling new uses for their devices, regardless of the technology involved, and to differentiate their products based on features and usage, not price.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote