Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
elricks
Long in the tooth junior
elricks began at the beginning.

Device: none
using shared network drive on 2 computers

Aim - manage library on main PC; read books using Calibre reader on a laptop.

Environment - PC runs XP PRO, laptop runs Vista. Calibre installed on both. I have shared the directory that holds the library on the main PC as Y: My install on the laptop is stock standard.

Note::: I have the networked library on an external HDD, so I can move this from room to room, but I prefer not to if at all possible.

I have tried using the calibre-portable.bat, but I don't understand enough about batch files to understand the instructions. I can edit batch files OK, I just get lost with the mappings

Request - Could some kind person write me a batch file using my parameters OR if there is a better way, please lead me in the right direction.

Many thanks

SHIRLEY
elricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
What you will need to do is to install the OS as a peer-to-peer network, if memory serves me properly this is done by a Networking Operating System (NOS) and XP and XP Pro are not NOSs, they are what is referred to as a Client OS, so you will need to go buy a NOS first.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You can do what you want to do with the normal Calibre install. The only prerequisite is that you can access the library folder from both devices, if you've set it up as a shared folder on your network, that should be fine. Point both Calibre installations to the network folder as their library folders. You said you've already set up your main computer like this, you'll need to point the laptop at the shared folder, then, and tell it that there's already a library present in that folder.
There's a big caveat attached to this method: You'll need to make absolutely sure that both Calibre installations aren't running at the same time. If you try to access the library with one computer while the other is already running Calibre, you'll be in a world of hurt.

Another solution would be to use the content server and EPUBReader (a Firefox plugin) or similar.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:51 AM   #4
elricks
Long in the tooth junior
elricks began at the beginning.

Thank you - I now have the 'server' operational. There is always something new to learn!! I have had a PC since late 1980s, and never thought that his was possible.

My next thing will be to run as a service, but I will leave that for later.

Thanks again - SHIRLEY
elricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:22 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elricks View Post
Thank you - I now have the 'server' operational. There is always something new to learn!! I have had a PC since late 1980s, and never thought that his was possible.

My next thing will be to run as a service, but I will leave that for later.
If you're talking about the content server, there should be several solutions for doing that in the forum, mostly by starting it via task scheduler. Try searching for "calibre-server" or "calibre-server task scheduler", that ought to turn up something.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2011, 06:22 AM   #6
rbid
rbid began at the beginning.

Nice.
Is it possible to do modifications on the library from the two (or more) PCs, taking into account that only one calibre applications is open at a time?

That is, modifythe library from one PC, close Calibre... go to another PC, open and get the changes?
rbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbid View Post
Nice.
Is it possible to do modifications on the library from the two (or more) PCs, taking into account that only one calibre applications is open at a time?

That is, modifythe library from one PC, close Calibre... go to another PC, open and get the changes?
Yes - that works fine as long as you do not forget to close Calibre before switching to the other PC.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
Glennth
Glennth began at the beginning.

Device: Aldiko on Android
Hi All,

Do we have any timeline for the multiple user editable database?

I have set up the library on my home windows server. I have shared the location for multiple machines to access as my wife and myself both wish to add and edit the database as well as have the content server available at all times. Currently I have to stop the content server for either of us to be able to do anything.
Glennth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennth View Post
Hi All,

Do we have any timeline for the multiple user editable database?

I have set up the library on my home windows server. I have shared the location for multiple machines to access as my wife and myself both wish to add and edit the database as well as have the content server available at all times. Currently I have to stop the content server for either of us to be able to do anything.
AFAIK the content server can run. It is read only.
It is the Calibre.exe and the command-line tools that can have only one instance running.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:26 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
What you will need to do is to install the OS as a peer-to-peer network, if memory serves me properly this is done by a Networking Operating System (NOS) and XP and XP Pro are not NOSs, they are what is referred to as a Client OS, so you will need to go buy a NOS first.
This is abject nonsense; all versions of Windows support peer-to-peer networking just fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
To expand on HarryT
Workgroups started with Win 3 by upgrading to Win3.11 (WFWG)

Win 3.11 even had a driver called Windows for Workgroups For DOS
that allowed a DOS 6 PC to connect (use files and Printers) to a Windows 3.11 host
HP Home limits the 'uses' to 3
XP Pro allows 10
I believe this carries onward
Go Pro
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:06 AM   #12
Glennth
Glennth began at the beginning.

Device: Aldiko on Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
AFAIK the content server can run. It is read only.
It is the Calibre.exe and the command-line tools that can have only one instance running.
I have found how to run the content server seperatly under linux, but not windows. If you know how, it would be appreciated.
Glennth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:42 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennth View Post
I have found how to run the content server seperatly under linux, but not windows. If you know how, it would be appreciated.
Check out the Command Line Interface section of the manual. Post 7 in this thread has some examples.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-19-2011 at 06:45 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #14
g8dhe
g8dhe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle + Nexus 7
If you want to run the Calibre-server as a genuine service under Windows then download a copy of ServiceEx and then you can run as many copies as you have libraries as well if you need to, we have three here, one for each of us and a separate ScFi one, these are then available over the web when we are away from home as well.
g8dhe is offline   Reply With Quote