Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #286
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Returned mine. I will play wait and see and more than likely the price will drop probably sooner than later.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #287
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
So far, the Surface Pro looks like everything I'd have wanted from the RT. Once it's finally out, I can wait for its price to drop, too.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #288
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Returned mine. I will play wait and see and more than likely the price will drop probably sooner than later.
What were your reasons to return it?

From your initial posts I thought you were happy with it.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #289
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
What were your reasons to return it?

From your initial posts I thought you were happy with it.

Best regards,
Andy
The price for one thing. It is probably reasonable at inception BUT since it isn't a big seller, I think I can wait for a better one. And one is at the mercy of the app store so a wait and see how that pans out as well.

I'd like the device to be more portable when I unclick the keyboard but that will not change obviously.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #290
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Hi! I wanted just to drop a pearl of wisdom for the people that are having issues with the sensitivity to taps on the Surface. I found this and it speeds ups a lot plus there's less missed taps.

Quote:
Apparently, there are some folks who really notice a slight on-screen UI touchscreen lag for the new Microsoft Surface RT tablet. Luckily, there is a fix that supposedly helps reduce this lag, although your results may vary depending upon your perception. Here's the steps require for the "fix,"

First, you will need to activate the registry editor, which we of course must caution you to be careful doing. If you are undaunted, here are the steps:

1. Swipe in from the right of the screen, hit search, type “regedit” and select the app.
2. Navigate to the proper key
3. Once you’re in the editor, navigate over to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then to SOFTWARE, then on to Microsoft. Once there, scroll down a bunch until you arrive at TouchPrediction. If you don’t have tiny, stylus-like fingers, you might want to plug in a keyboard attachment if you have one handy, as the trackpad helps select the folders.
4. Change the Latency and Sample Time
5. Now, select “Latency” and change the value data from “8″ to “2.” Then, select Sample Time, and change the value data from “8″ to “2″ as well.
After that you are done, and you might notice a difference in your everyday activities.

There is one caveat to this trick. It polls the touchscreen at a higher rate, so it might negatively affect your battery life. Sound off in the thread if this was worth it.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #291
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Well I just bought a Surface a week ago so I'll add my quick two cents.

In summary, it has certainly been a love/hate relationship so far. I love the power and capability of Windows RT. I hate the bugs and unfinished feel of Windows RT. The hardware is beautifully designed but specs are underwhelming.

The USB port is great. Printers, mice, keyboards, my phone, etc plug right in and work immediately. The file system is familiar like Windows 7. For the most part, things work like you'd expect on a Windows PC. No extra apps or special adapters necessary. There is a lot more power and potential here than in iOS or Android.

The upgrades that immediately installed were ridiculous. I upgraded my phone to a whole new version of OS (Android ICS) in about 15 minutes. Surface took an hour to update with minor fixes. Ugh, that is so typical for Microsoft and really made a bad first impression. But at least they are supporting it well, unlike my phone.

Overall, although it's growing on me I'm still not sold on Windows 8. I only stick with it because that's where PCs are going whether I like it or not so I figure I should get used to it. I don't like the closed ecosystem (although that is now bypassed easily enough). I knew app selection wouldn't be great but the cost compared to Android surprised me. The rear camera stinks which at this price is inexcusable regardless of need. But at least it's there.

The profiles are nice, I have my account and 2 others on it now. It's kind of wonky though in that you have to install apps on each account rather than sharing. Which is good in a way, my kids can't access apps I install on my profile unless I enter my Microsoft credentials. But it's just not what I expected and it can be pretty inconvenient to install the same apps on multiple profiles. There should be an option to install on all profiles. If there is I haven't found it.

The kickstand is something every tablet should have. It's so simple, yet it completely transforms how and where I use it. I think the angle should sit back more though, it's too upright for my taste. I'm still waiting for my type keyboard to be delivered. I don't think it's necessary as some people claim but I think it will really add convenience and capability. It's overpriced for sure but still another great idea.

The Nook app stinks. You open it up to what looks like a pile of your books that you then need to try to pick out what you want. Flat out stupid, but that's not Microsoft's fault of course. Or is it, now that they own a piece of B&N? Anyway, since this is Moble Read Forum I figured I should mention it.

I went back and forth between this and an Asus Transformer Infinity. I've been in Apple's world before and have no desire to go back. What it came down to was the abililty to get more PC-type things done on the Surface and Asus's questionable quality control and support. I'm still not sure I made the right decision, but I'll give it a couple weeks. I'm pretty certain that it will do what I need it to do, if not everything I would like it to do. That will hopefully get better as more apps are made and the bugs are ironed out.

That wasn't as quick as I intended I guess so I'll quit now until I have some more experience with it.

Last edited by pl001; 01-30-2013 at 12:24 PM.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #292
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Lenovo Yoga

Just saw the Lenovo Yoga in German Saturn market.
Yikes!
You fold it back. If you hold it in your hand, your hands rest on the keyboard.
Same on Microsoft Surface, of course.
But a.) that's the reason why I most of the time prefer the touch cover over the type cover and b.) I can detach the covers from Microsoft Surface in an instance.

To me, Lenovo Yoga is an ergonomics-disaster.
And the hinges didn't look to trustworthy either...
No-Go for me.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #293
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sony Duo 11

Saw it yesterday in German Saturn market.
I've slept one night over it, because originally I wanted to have Surface RT and Surface Pro.
But I didn't want to wait for Surface Pro, so I bought the Sony Duo 11 today.

It's a slider.
The display in Ultrabook-mode stands in a similar angle as Microsoft Surface.
In Tablet mode, you simply push the display down.

With 1.8cm it's way thicker than Surface of course.
But I like the physical keyboard and the sliding mechanism.

And the HD display is stunning.
I've seen this on Sony Tablet P before: Unusually dark black. I guess, Sony did learn this from their TVs.

Right now I'm generating the recovery files.
More maybe later on...
Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #294
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
But I didn't want to wait for Surface Pro, so I bought the Sony Duo 11 today.
You know that Surface Pro is being released on Friday?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #295
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't wait that long. I'm disaapointed my company doesn't have a deal with Microsoft on hardware.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #296
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You know that Surface Pro is being released on Friday?
Only in the US and Canada, as far as I know.
And Friday is way too long to wait anyway, after I've seen a potential new gadget.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #297
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Only in the US and Canada, as far as I know.
And Friday is way too long to wait anyway, after I've seen a potential new gadget.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #298
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^Okay that one had me laughing because of the cat in the background.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #299
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Just saw the Lenovo Yoga in German Saturn market.
Yikes!
You fold it back. If you hold it in your hand, your hands rest on the keyboard.
Same on Microsoft Surface, of course.
But a.) that's the reason why I most of the time prefer the touch cover over the type cover and b.) I can detach the covers from Microsoft Surface in an instance.

To me, Lenovo Yoga is an ergonomics-disaster.
And the hinges didn't look to trustworthy either...
No-Go for me.
You know I didn't think I'd like the Yoga either, but when I tried it I liked it. I have a type cover, and as you mention it's really no different than the Yoga in that respect. Yes I can remove it, but I have found I hardly ever do.

The price of the Yoga is what steered me to the RT. It's really more of an Ultrabook than tablet and is priced accordingly. If I were were looking for an Ultrabook, that is what I probably would have bought.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #300
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
You know I didn't think I'd like the Yoga either, but when I tried it I liked it. I have a type cover, and as you mention it's really no different than the Yoga in that respect. Yes I can remove it, but I have found I hardly ever do.

The price of the Yoga is what steered me to the RT. It's really more of an Ultrabook than tablet and is priced accordingly. If I were were looking for an Ultrabook, that is what I probably would have bought.
I detach my covers from Microsoft Surface all the time.
I guess, it depends on your main use: Tablet or Ultrabook.
My preference clearly is Tablet and from time to time Ultrabook. From a Tablet perspective, I find the Yoga less than stellar. If one mainly focuses on the Ultrabook capabilities, it very well may be fine to them.