Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Question Immersion Reading

I have fallen in love with this feature!

The biggest issue is I am finding that the series of books that I like about 60% of the books are "Immersion ready" and the other %40 are not.

I am guessing that it must be an lengthy process to take a unabridged audible book and "sync" in up to the matching e-book.

has anyone else tried this feature out with their FireHD and what is their take?

Last edited by zebradude; 10-11-2012 at 07:24 AM.
zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebradude View Post
has anyone else tried this feature out with their FireHD and what is their take?
It's a fun toy, but not something I see myself using all that often.

I wish they'd support non-Amazon ebooks somehow - not just for titles on Kindle that I bought elsewhere, but for non-Amazon-retailed titles too (like David Weber's books from Baen).
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
It's a fun toy, but not something I see myself using all that often.

I wish they'd support non-Amazon ebooks somehow - not just for titles on Kindle that I bought elsewhere, but for non-Amazon-retailed titles too (like David Weber's books from Baen).
I agree, it is very frustrating to not be able to use books that I have purchased elsewhere and have the supporting audible book.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is there a listing or a way to search either on audbile or kindle store to see which e/audio books are compatible with this feature?

I wouldn't mind trying it as the first 30 days on audible are free but looking at a walkthrough on you tube, I don't know really that I'd use it all that much either.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
I have several audio books, and last night I have tried several ways to load them on my fire hd. I can play them as mp3 in music but not as a book. Looked in the audible book directory and >?< trying to find the two audio books that was bought from audible, they list in the play menu, but seems scrambled in the audible directory. Dragging and dropping audio books into the directory does not work for me.

No joy.

It seems that the only audiobooks that will show in the audiobook directory are books sold by amazon audible books. Seems third party audio books are locked out.

Not good!
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dusty:

You would have had to buy the audible from audible and the ebook from Amazon, as you have discovered third-party's are not eligible.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Is there a listing or a way to search either on audbile or kindle store to see which e/audio books are compatible with this feature?

I wouldn't mind trying it as the first 30 days on audible are free but looking at a walkthrough on you tube, I don't know really that I'd use it all that much either.

Look on the Audible and Amazon sites, they both have some samples of free books which you can use to test this feature. I tried it but I do not see many times when I will want to listen and read the book at the same time.

However, I was hoping to use the Whispersync for Voice but unfortunately most of my ebook/audiobook sets are not eligible.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Yea,

Reading this thread and what I learned last night supports that.

Well this is the first strike against the fire hd that I have found for me. Everything else is great, and has exceeded my expectations.

Maybe in time , if amazon gets enough complaints they will allow third party audio books on the fire hd.

Edit: My reading habits would not work well with Immersion Reading. I like audio books when I am racking up windshield time on the road.

Last edited by DustyDisks; 10-12-2012 at 11:06 AM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
Count me as one who thought "immersion reading" was a gimmick I might use on rare occasions but no more than that. After using it for a couple of books (Moby Dick, From Here to Eternity), I'm hooked. And I'm not even sure why.

Perhaps it's the reinforced focus of hearing the book read while I read it, a feature that's especially enjoyable with Melville's dense prose. I certainly don't feel it's essential. Been reading long enough that I have a voice in my head that works quite well. But I'd be lying if I said I don't enjoy it.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
Count me as one who thought "immersion reading" was a gimmick I might use on rare occasions but no more than that. After using it for a couple of books (Moby Dick, From Here to Eternity), I'm hooked. And I'm not even sure why.

Perhaps it's the reinforced focus of hearing the book read while I read it, a feature that's especially enjoyable with Melville's dense prose. I certainly don't feel it's essential. Been reading long enough that I have a voice in my head that works quite well. But I'd be lying if I said I don't enjoy it.
I tried this with my lending library and the audible would have cost $9, and that is not worth it to me.

I would only pay $5 at this time for a book I probably won't even like. But you probably could get a refund if you don't like it. Right?

Does anyone know of a sleep timer App for KFHD?
I need this if I use immersion reading. I have a timer for the Apple Ipod. I have to have it.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
I tried this with my lending library and the audible would have cost $9, and that is not worth it to me.
Amazon has lots of free classic books to try it with for free.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
mbp36933693
mbp36933693 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire hd
Does anyone know what "Authoring Tools" required to create and sync Audible Book with EPUB Amazon book?
mbp36933693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
I have several audio books, and last night I have tried several ways to load them on my fire hd. I can play them as mp3 in music but not as a book. Looked in the audible book directory and >?< trying to find the two audio books that was bought from audible, they list in the play menu, but seems scrambled in the audible directory. Dragging and dropping audio books into the directory does not work for me.

No joy.

It seems that the only audiobooks that will show in the audiobook directory are books sold by amazon audible books. Seems third party audio books are locked out.

Not good!
Non Audible audiobooks go under Music!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:33 AM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
What is immersion reading??
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #15
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
From Amazon website:

Experience Immersion Reading

"With Immersion Reading, Kindle Fire HD can now synchronize Kindle text with companion Audible audiobooks with real-time highlighting to create a more immersive reading experience, as well as deepen learning and comprehension. Almost 15,000 Kindle books and 15,000 companion Audible audiobooks across a wide array of genres are available."

It's pretty cool, it's text-to-speech only with professional narration.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote