Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Question Any Computer techies in here?

My ancient laptop is on his last legs. Last year I upgraded the HD from 40gb to 320gb, which may have been too much. A few nights ago I had a black screen of death!! Couldn't get onto him at all. A friend reinstalled his old HD and he really is slow now, and nearly full!

So I've taken the leap of buying a new one which comes with Windows 7 and a kind of trial version of Office. The only Office program I really need is Word, but I've read such bad reviews on Amazon of the 2010 version. For example, the dictionary is US, no UK option.

My current version of Word came with Works Suite 2005, and is Word 2002.

Does anyone know if this would be compatible with Windows 7? I'm guessing that it's not.

Apparently Office 2007 is better (I'd get the student and home version) but HUGELY expensive. (I've been looking at Amazon).

Please help if you can.

PS the new lappy is a Lenovo Thinkpad, one of the cheaper models and very ugly but I wanted a matte screen and it seems to have one (I hope that's what anti-glare means). And I think it'll be a good workhorse. Probably won't arrive till after Xmas.

in advance.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
I think it is compatible. I still use Word 2003 with my Windows 7 laptop without problem.

Another option is to use OpenOffice Writer. It is free (as in gratis) and it can read and save .doc files.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Lenovo is not exciting, but it's a very good brand. My desk computer is a (Lenovo built) IBM ThinkCentre that is 9 years old and still running well.

I'd also suggest OppenOffice or LibreOffice.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I have Office 2007 at work and 2010 at home. Since I use it much more at work than at home, I am more fluent in 2007. But I find both to be excellent; although for home, use perhaps a bit spendy.

The biggest reason I have it at home is for Outlook rather than Word, and could probably just buy that but the price of the bundle is not much more than the stand alone version.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Apparently Office 2007 is better (I'd get the student and home version) but HUGELY expensive.
Given that folks say that 2002 can be run on Windows 7, my next question would be - how comfortable are you with your Word 2002? Do you know just where everything is on the Toolbar and Menu? Or do you use it so seldom you can never find anything?

We switched to Office 2007 last year at work and I *still* hate it. I've been using one form or another of Office for 10 years and I knew where everything was. I still get lost trying to figure out where they moved or hid things with the new "ribbon" interface.

But newbies at work tell me they love that (stupid) ribbon. Apparently, it's easier to learn to use, if you've never used either or are not "fluent" in the old version.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I hate the ribbon, but I'm really liking the newest version of Excel.

I don't use Word enough to know where anything is. I do most of typing in textboxes on forums.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
older versions of Office or Word will work in Windows 7. If you experience problems you can run the app in compatibility mode. In another words, you can tell Windows 7 to run the app as if you were on Windoes XP or Window Vista to ensure it works. With Word though there should be no problem.

The big change from Word 2002 to a newer version is the use of the new format .docx, but after you do the updates Word 2002 will be able to open .docx

Install and enjoy, if you have any problems shoot me a PM here at Goodreads and Ill do what I can to help
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
Keep in mind that you can right-click on the ribbon and fully customize the interface. I've moved the commands that I use most to the "Home" tab, and it works great!
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for all the input. I do use my current version a lot and know it inside out. When I installed it, back in 2005, I bought a "Word 2002 for Dummies" book which has been well thumbed.

I think I could adapt to another version, with the help of another Dummies book but if it's true that there's only a US spellchecker in Word 2010, it would annoy me, even though I use WordWeb for spellings I'm unsure of, and as a thesaurus. (I'm terrible when words have double letters in, eg, accommodation.)

I have considered Open Office, but want to upload books to SmashWords, which insists on Word, although Mark Coker doesn't seem to have caught up with recent changes in the program.

Shack70, my old laptop has XP. I have the disc for Word 2002, so loading it should be okay. Would Word mind running in "compatibility mode"? Would it function fully. Thanks so much for the offer of help should I need it.

Cromag, the new lappy does look ugly on the pics I've seen, but I've read lots of reviews. IBM aka Lenovo build them for function not beauty. So glad to hear your ThinkCentre is still working well after 9 years. Bodes well for the new lappy.

One thing I love about the old versions of Word: the Office Manager!!
It entertains me to watch the little cat chasing butterflies or giving me dirty looks because no writing is going on!

So I might try installing the old Word on the new laptop. If it doesn't work, I'll have to get Office 2010.

Last edited by BookCat; 12-23-2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: change Levono to Lenovo!
Old 12-23-2011, 05:43 AM   #10
Confavor
Confavor began at the beginning.

Device: none
you should buy genuine microsoft office pack.
Confavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
BookCat
C L J

The 2005 Works Suite IS genuine and contains legit programs. It was just cheaper than the Office bundle and is missing several programs, such as Excel.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #12
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Shack70, my old laptop has XP. I have the disc for Word 2002, so loading it should be okay. Would Word mind running in "compatibility mode"? Would it function fully. Thanks so much for the offer of help should I need it.
You most likely wont need to run in compatibility mode, but if you do it will run normally. Compatibly mode really just tells Windows 7 how to handle how the program runs to avoid errors.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:48 AM   #13
BookCat
C L J

Well, I have the new laptop and it's taking some getting used to. I loved my old one, he was perfect in every way: xp being very user-friendly, and the lappy had a great keyboard and 15.5inch screen. This thing is tiny, just 14inches and widescreen, which makes it look too short. I'll get used to it though and learn to use the silly Windows 7 and its "libraries"!

As for the Word 2002; it installed fine and I've written a "hello" to the computer letter. But the office assistant feature doesn't work, even though it comes with that version; so no cat playing with butterflies....

The major hassle I'm having is activating it. The activation wizard is fine until it comes to connecting to the internet. Then I'm given a message saying something like "Unable to connect to the activation centre. Please check your internet connection or try later." My internet connection is fine! I've left Word open and minimised and tried every 30mins or so, but still can't activate.

I'm wondering if this may be because Microsoft no longer support Word 2002, so somehow aren't recognising it. I suppose it self-destructs after 50 uses without activation? No hope it'll just be "forgotten about" and left on my lappy...

Looks like I'm shelling out money for the horrible ribbon version! I've seen it used in vids - it's horrid.

I'm really glad that one of my annoying neighbours gives my cats snacks, saves me money on cat food. Will have a talk to the cats and tell them they'll have to catch mice for a while

Ho Hum...

Last edited by BookCat; 01-04-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #14
BookCat
C L J

After spending the entire night googling this issue and finding that it's very common, I eventually unearthed a forum in which someone had found two ways of fixing it. One way, the simplest, was to ring a UK number and activate using an automated phone method. So I spend ages jabbing numbers into the phone keypad and writing down the numbers the female android gave me to complete activation.

So it's up and running. Having other minor problems. Good job I bought a massive Dummies book about Windows 7!

Thanks for all the help.

Tags
computer, microsoft word, software