Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which eBook do you want the Book Club read for March?
The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death 6 12.24%
Against Intellectual Monopoly 2 4.08%
The Origin of Species 9 18.37%
Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking 2 4.08%
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make A Big Difference 6 12.24%
The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary 13 26.53%
A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains 11 22.45%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #46
stevejay
Enthusiast
stevejay doesn't litterstevejay doesn't litterstevejay doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500 prs
One for The Professor and the Madman here.
stevejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:15 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A close race this month! FWIW, I'd like to recommend "The Professor and the Madman" too. It's an absolutely fascinating story.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #48
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I highly recommend 'The Professor and the Madman'. It is fascinating reading.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #49
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I voted finally
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #50
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I recommend against "Origin of Species." Had to read that in college and thought I was going to die!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #51
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hmm.. this may be the first month that the book I voted for doesn't win.

I quite find I don't like that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And if the book I voted on had won, it would only have cost between free and $1. But now because it didn't win, we'll have to shell out between $8-$9.

So there is still time people to vote for the really inexpensive entry #1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #53
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hmm.. this may be the first month that the book I voted for doesn't win.

I quite find I don't like that.

BOb
Muahahahah! Been there done that partner!

But really though, you don't have to read what comes up. We can have extra discussions in the MRBC group. Since I've already read the one that is winning, I'll probably read another selection from the nominees (or more).
Old 02-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #54
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And if the book I voted on had won, it would only have cost between free and $1. But now because it didn't win, we'll have to shell out between $8-$9.

So there is still time people to vote for the really inexpensive entry #1.
Didn't I see in the forum somewhere that you already read it?

BOb
Old 02-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #55
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
But really though, you don't have to read what comes up.
Really?

No, I will read whatever wins. That's why I like the book club. To get some exposure to books I don't normally read.

BOb
Old 02-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #56
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Really?

No, I will read whatever wins. That's why I like the book club. To get some exposure to books I don't normally read.

BOb
Me too Although I couldn't bring myself to reading Time Traders...
Old 02-27-2009, 10:36 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Didn't I see in the forum somewhere that you already read it?

BOb
I only downloaded it when I found it for free. It's in my to be converted to be read pile.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:37 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Me too Although I couldn't bring myself to reading Time Traders...
If I can manage to actually finish A Passage to India you can manage to plod through Time traders.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:38 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

And the official winner is... The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary.

Now go and purchase a copy and get to reading.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #60
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

I hope everyone enjoys it, I know I did. It's an excellent book.

In the spirit of things, I'll read another one of his books that has been languishing on my shelf for years. And maybe another from the nominees, which I haven't decided on yet.