Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Jetbook HTML (XHTML)

The Jetbook supports HTML, I believe. Does it support CSS well?

Can it open zipped HTML files?

I'm thinking about buying one; was thinking for a while, actually, but got a Q7 thinking that FBReader would do fine. It hasn't worked out as well as I'd hoped.

Anyhow, thanks for any info about it,

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Well, I think that Jetbook actually uses FBReader.

I am not actually sure about CSS. I just read Catptain Blood from a project Gutenberg html file, and it was a decent read.

I am not sure how well it handles zipped html files. Depending on how they are packaged, an epub book might be little more than a collection of zipped html files, and it does handle those.

Are there any particular books (or sources of books) you had in mind? Maybe one of us with a device can test it out for you?

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Here's a set of books that I did in XHTML, with CSS. Take a look at it in a browser and then in a Jetbook and maybe that will let you know. In the browser, the books will look best at around 600 pixels wide.

In FBReader they look really ugly; all the cool formatting is dropped (including suppressing unnecessary headers.) Try zipping one of the books into a file with extension zip. If Jetbook is using FBReader, it will show up and the files inside will be accessible (assuming a late enough version of FBReader.)

Thanks,

m a r

ps: what is the best way to encourage Ectaco to update and include features?
Old 10-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
mcysr
mcysr is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Hey!! Thanks! These work on my jetBook. I can not chose a page from the table of contents, BUT the books look great!! Nice pictures too!

I had no idea that HTML really was supported in the jetBook. It doesn't say so in their specifications.

http://jetbook.net/faq.php?refid=29532

And I have NOT updated firmware. [ using the supplied v0.33c v13 ]

Really nice! thanks!

Matthew

Last edited by mcysr; 10-10-2009 at 01:19 PM.
mcysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
mcysr

OIC, my older jetBooks had v0.30f. New one has v0.33c
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
I read mostly HTML on my jetBook. It does a reasonable job of displaying the HTML output from ereader2html. Fonts are limited and the chapters don't start on a new page. In spite of that, the formatting is good enough for a pleasant read.
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
rogue_ronin
Banned

Thanks for the compliments. I haven't had time to do the Venus books yet, and I haven't found any great art, either.

Anyhow, I think you're suggesting that the CSS is being honored. I'd like to confirm it though:

1) Does the word "Inscription" or "Acknowledgement" appear as a header at the beginning of the book? (Near the inscription or acknowledgement, of course?

2) Do the navigation arrows appear in a column to the left of the first paragraph of each chapter?

Thanks!

m a r
Old 10-11-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
mcysr

I do see the words 'Inscription To my son Jack' near the beginning of the first book.

I do not see any navigation arrows anywhere.

The very first picture has it's top cut off and is possibly narrowed side to side.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
rogue_ronin
Banned

Thanks!

Okay, the Jetbook is not obeying the CSS. The word "Inscription" should be suppressed -- it's just there in the HTML as a way to delineate the book. All the sections of the book have a header, just to be consistent -- but there's no reason to see all of them.

As for the arrows -- they're three images, squares with symbols on them. I'm surprised that they don't show up at all... ??

And the cover is a 600x800 PNG -- it may be bigger than the Jetbook can display.

Try converting it into an ePub -- it may look better. Then again, it may not. It sounds like it's using FBReader, and FBReader cannot display either HTML or ePub very well.

Again, thanks for the info. I hope that Ectaco improves the CSS handling in the Jetbook. I won't buy one until it does. Which may be quite a long time, as I don't think the FBReader boys really have a fire for getting CSS to work.

m a r
Old 10-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
thenitch
thenitch began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
Hi,

I've got 0.33g firmware on my jetbook. Here are my observation on the Barsoom series that you put together.

It is printing the word INSCRIPTION centered on the screen. All the <h1> and <h2> are centered at the top of the screen and are the same size of each other and larger than the regular text. The <h3> and <h4> size headings are displayed the same size as all the other text in the regular paragraphs and are not centered on the screen. The first word of each chapter is not bigger and not capitalized.

The pictures don't seem to be scaled to fit the screen when reading in the book reader. The jetbook's picture viewer can scale the the pictures properly to see the entire picture at once, but of course you would have to exit reading the book temporarily to see the whole picture.

The little pictures with the arrows and such are displayed. They are centered on the screen directly below the headings, rather than at the left side of the screen.

The table of content links do not work. The .wav sound file are of an incompatible format, the jetbook only does .mp3. The jetbook can't directly open the .zip file.

Thanks so much for putting all those books together. Even with all the problems the jetbook has with the css, everything is still perfectly readable.

Lance
thenitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #11
rogue_ronin
Banned

@thenitch: nice report. Good to know that all the elements are there.

That WAV file thing is an idea left over from my REB1100 days. I may have to ditch it, or switch to MP3 as you imply. It's really too bad about the links -- it's pretty well linked -- most of the images are links, either navigation or function (if you click the cover, it jumps to the TOC -- if you click the colophon, it 'closes' the book by jumping back to the cover, etc.) and I went to a lot of trouble to code TOC, TOI and TOM macros.

Anyhow, here's hoping for a backlit, touchscreen Jetbook with links...

m a r
Old 10-28-2009, 11:40 PM   #12
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Does Jetbook support htlml link? or other ebook formats with chapter links?
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:33 AM   #13
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
By my observation, the jetBook seems to follow something like HTML 1.0, but with no hyperlinking. It uses the HTML purely as a text format descriptor. You get almost the same appearance with rtf as html. In effect, it isn't HTML, but a very small SGML subset. The renderer is pretty primitive, sort of 1999 way-back quality. It's one step up from plain text.

It supports internal linkage only in PDF, primarily as bookmarks for a table of contents.

WRT a backlit screen or a touchscreen, I hope never. I have plenty of those. The jetBook reflective screen can be read in fully sunlight to modest lamplight. If you want to read in the dark by touch, buy a PDA, or a flashlight.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #14
Schopenhauer
Schopenhauer is on a distinguished road

Device: JetBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
It supports internal linkage only in PDF, primarily as bookmarks for a table of contents.
I have not yet bought my JetBook. Is it true that there is no way to use links inside a document, or have linking between different documents in ANY format? (Except internal linking support in PDF).

Is this the case with the latest firmware as well? Can someone confirm?

Sorry if my question is stupid im not well tutored in the secret lore of ebook machinery

Take care!

Schoppy.
Schopenhauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #15
Schopenhauer
Schopenhauer is on a distinguished road

Device: JetBook
Nobody knew the answer to my question in the last post? Maybe you know this then:

If i have a huge - really huge - html structure (Like a free encyclopedia of western philosopy in HTML), then how would be the best way to convert all the text (just text, no need for pictures), into something that could be not painful to read on the ectaco JetBook? (IF the above posts are correct then it seems like i really should give up the idea of hyperlinking, Yes?)

But what can still be done then? What would be optimal way to convert?
I guess there are many ways to do something like this.. any suggestions or ideas?
At least something that puts me in the right direction since html dont seem to get displayed nicely.

Would programs like html-tidy make a improvement in the way html is displayed if it simplified it extremely much?

Im just speculating, but maybe someone with experience in this matters know the solutions i cant see.

Take care!
Schoppy.

Last edited by Schopenhauer; 02-11-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Schopenhauer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
html, jetbook, xhtml