Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #16
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
Indexing seems to take up quite a bit of space too, with 100mb of books on it, the index files for them were around 45mb.

Just disabled mine and removed all of the index files since i never use search anyways.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #17
statethatiamin
Avid Reader
statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
Just disabled mine and removed all of the index files since i never use search anyways.
Let me know if you experience longer battery life as a result!
statethatiamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #18
JeanC
Enthusiast
JeanC began at the beginning.

1. Did you reboot after editing the hack?
2. Can you still search in a book?
JeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #19
statethatiamin
Avid Reader
statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanC View Post
1. Did you reboot after editing the hack?
2. Can you still search in a book?
1) Absolutely, you have to reboot after editing the flag in order for the changes to take full effect. This is because it start the main java environment with the flag as one of its arguments.

Well, it looks like Valentino and I both removed the previous index files but if you dont, you might still be able to search inside books. I'd say this hack isn't really for people that spend a lot of time searching through books because I haven't tested it yet.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #20
interarch
interarch began at the beginning.

I'm looking for the start.sh file under the system folders and cannot seem to find it. Can someone help me with the exact location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by statethatiamin View Post
Hi all,
This is my first post/thread w/e.
I have a ton of books on my Kindle and I was having major trouble with the indexing/re-indexing of all my books causing dramatic battery loss and lock-ups. Personally, I think maybe the Kindle deliberately indexes books from sources other than the kindle bookstore improperly as a disincentive for people to use those sources.
Anyway, I found a way to disable the indexing all together! I'm really happy with it and my Kindle doesn't lock-up so often. It also dramatically increases my battery life.
The indexing is controlled by a flag in the file /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh on line 176:
-DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD=true \
I hope some of you guys will find it useful.
Cheers!
interarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #21
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I would like to know where this file is as well, but I have the k2i although I assume the file will be located in the same place. I never use the search function and constantly add/delete large quantities of books, so I would like to disable this feature.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:08 AM   #22
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
The path is in the first post interarch even quoted it :P

/opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh

This assumes your kindle is jailbroken and you have installed usbnetwork.
You need to telnet or ssh to your kindle from your computer.
There are alot of topics/posts explaining how to use usbnetwork.

You will also need to learn the basics of the vi editor.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #23
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Thanks for bringing this up! I actually do search in my books a lot, however, I would like to disable the indexing for the periodicals - I rarely need to search in a periodical and the frequency of periodicals updates (and thus also indexing) drains the battery very quickly.

I doubt there is a way to disable the indexing specifically for periodicals... however, ~disableIndexing could provide a way to do it manually - enabling indexing after new books were added and disabling it again after they were indexed. I rarely need to reboot so the fact that ~disableIndexing only lasts till next reboot is not a major problem. However, I could not find a command that would enable indexing again after it was disabled by ~disableIndexing... ~enableIndexing was not recognized, ~startIndexing was recognized but did not start the indexing... clearly, reboot does the trick but is rather inconvenient...

Does anybody know a command (or other way more convenient than a reboot) to start the indexing again after it was disabled?

Last edited by janvanmaar; 02-03-2011 at 05:23 PM.
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #24
statethatiamin
Avid Reader

Does anybody know a command (or other way more convenient than a reboot) to start the indexing again after it was disabled?[/QUOTE]

I think its like "~resumeIndexing"
you can verify by ";debugOn" and then "~help"
It should list all the commands
Old 02-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #25
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion!
~help only mentions ~startIndexing and that does not start the indexing after it was disabled. However, I have noticed these is also ~stopIndexing - perhaps I need to use that instead of ~disableIndexing... I will have a look at the behaviour.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #26
janvanmaar
Addict

Yes, ~stopIndexing solves it! I do not even need to use ~startIndexing as entering the "Items not indexed" from any search starts the indexing again. Perfect! Why are these nice features not documented... Thanks for your help, statethatiamin!
Old 02-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #27
janvanmaar
Addict

hm, not really: ~stopIndexing stops the indexing only till a new book is added... which makes it unusable. Back to ~disableIndexing and restart...

Last edited by janvanmaar; 02-06-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #28
statethatiamin
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by janvanmaar View Post
hm, not really: ~stopIndexing stops the indexing only till a new book is added... which makes it unusable. Back to ~disableIndexing and restart...
That's bizarre, my Kindle has that command.
Sorry it didn't work for you I keep my eyes peeled for another solution
Old 04-07-2011, 06:22 AM   #29
Nine989
Ebook Destroyer
Nine989 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 - Kindle 2 - Kindle Dx
Can someone help me do this please?

I think my kindle 3 wifi is jailbroken. Do I have to install the usbnetwork hack?
Nine989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #30
Panin
Panin began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Muse
Just got a Kindle, and the indexing is driving me mad!

Where do I go to alter these flags that you mention?

Is it in the systems folder?

Is there something that I need to do to the machine before I try to do this?

I am ---this close to sending the kindle back, as I seem to have 20 books out of the 1.5k that I transfered that will just not index, and of course they are my absolute favorites!
Panin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, disable, improvement, index, indexing