Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #16
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I wish there were a way to have your collections in two columns.

I used the sort by collection view, but if you have more than 9 collections it pushes your most recent book off the first page into the second.

I guess for most people this isn't a big deal, but I typically only put my books in a collection once I've done reading it.

So anyway, I first started out trying to use a collection for each author, but now I just do it for genre:

SF
Pulp
Mystery
Humor
Fantasy
Horror
Romance
Misc
My Stuff

Which so far works, but I've only got about 150 books on it and about 50 in collections.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #17
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmonster View Post
I also have lots (1000+) of books but have only about 100 on the Kindle. My all time favorites and some that I want to read in the future.

FF2 -Sorry about stealing your list.
No, I stole YOUR list - thanks for it.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #18
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
No, I stole BOTH of your lists, added mine (for fun and to avoid plagiarism) and formulated the ultimate super-list.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:03 AM   #19
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
2. Folder Structure
Again, as a general rule, I create a series of folders named after the various genres and store the appropriate ebook in the appropriate genre folder.
Excuse my ignorance, I still have no k3. Could you use directory
three to choose book you like to read? To me it sounds like the
most natural way to organize.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:00 AM   #20
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
What is directory three?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #21
wesleyer
Connoisseur
wesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Maybe he meant directory tree.
If that's the case, no, it does not work, because Kindle does not recognize the folders/directories structure. You may use them, but on the device display all books will be shown together.
wesleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #22
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, what is the directory tree? I don't hack or program
Old 10-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #23
niceboy
Enthusiast
niceboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
A directory tree is a semi-graphic representation of a folder and sub-fodder structure where the folder and it's sub-folders and their sub-folders are represented as a nested list... That is the sub-folders are listed indented from the folder or sub- folder in which they reside and you can navigate in the whole structure by clicking on any folder or sub-folder on this list. Windows provides directory tree navigation in the navigation pane of windows explorer.

The list might look like this...
Fiction
--- Classics
--- Contemporary
--- Science-Fiction
------ Classic Science-Fiction
------ New Science-fiction
--- Thriller
Non-fiction
--- Biography
--- Education
------ Computer
------ Humanities
--------- Anthropology
--------- History
--- Humor
--- Memoir
Etc. Etc. And you can open any of these folders/Sub-directories in a window or pane by clicking on it.

My understanding is that Kindle has a "flat" directory structure so it gives only a list of collections with no nesting or sub-collections and you can create "collections" and add books to them one-by-one using the Kindle interface.

These collections are essentially index documents which link to the collected books and that list along with all the book files on the device. It is like these collections are like a small book 'table of contents' that links to other books rather than to chapters within it.

I believe that you can put folders of ebooks on the device via USB but the contents are represented on the device as a flat list of all books in all folders but that the third party application Kindle Collection Manager can be used to create a flat un-nested set of "collections" based on the folders you have placed on the device.

I also believe that the Calibre ebook management software can make such "collections" of links to books but Kindle interprets these Calibre collections as conventional books and doesn't privilege them in the collections listing.

Last edited by niceboy; 10-28-2010 at 11:30 AM.
niceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #24
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
Talking Let's have a round of replies!

ALCON ... er, Hello All.

I thought I'd try and catch up on y'all's (LOOK AT THAT!! A two part Southern contraction!) replies so far in my thread. I'll try and be as short and succinct as I can and at the same time answer you as thoroughly as I can.

@cjottawa Thank you for your input. I do appreciate your time in posted it. I've got to say, however, I am just OCD enough to HAVE to have the kind of structure I put forth in my first post.

@supermighty I'm glad that the Kindle is working for you. I most certainly know I am. It sure beats carrying around a briefcase full of books!

@magicmonster Thank you for sharing your organization.

@Josieb1 I thought about creating additional collections by author and by title but discovered I can do that with the Kindle. HOORAY! I find it interesting that people have Read and Unread collections. I can see where it would make sense especially when you need to keep track of what you read and what you've not. Hmmm... I guess I could just remove it from my Kindle once I've read it and makr the filename read before I put it back on my archivial storage...

@ProfCrash Quite an interesting post you've made. Thanks for sharing your categories. I am SO looking forward to being able to nest collections. THEN my OCD can really go wild! ;-)

@emalvick Hmmm... You say that Cailbre allows tagging of your books into genres? Are the genre types built into the application or do you define the tags / genres themselves? I must look into Calibre's features.

@Dandy55 Hmmm... Are you referring to just having a collection structure up on the Kindle store or having the Kindle store hose all of your ebooks and collection structure? Personally, I like retaining control over my collections and books.

@Jeremy$ I really enjoyed your post and the comments concerning columns. It isn't something I've thought about before but certainly will mull it over now. I tend you use my Kindle as a secondary repository for my ebooks and only move them off to my permanent archive when I've read them and want to keep them.

@zoran and @ProfCrash what wesleyer said.

@niceboy What a wonderful and thorough explanation of a directory tree! I'm quite impressed with your explanatory knowledge. Thank you for sharing this with the readers! This is exactly the way I will organize my collections once the Kindle offers nesting of collections.

Thanks to all for your comments and I look forward to our continued dialogue.

Regards,

Vandy
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #25
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
If I was to copy over all content in the genre folder AND I already have some ebooks of the genre on the Kindle, am I going to end up with duplicate copies?
I don't think anyone addressed this.

No you don't end up with duplicate copies. Collections works through tagging and each book can have multiple tags. So you can have one book tagged five times. There is only one copy of the book on your Kindle.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #26
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
Post Just an update...

Hello, folks.

My apologies for not posting sooner and keeping this thread "flowing".

I have been diligently working on "collectionizing" my Kindle and ebooks based on the schema I put forward in my first post in this thread and have, so far, the following defined genre collections:

Action & Adventure
Auto- & Biography - Memoir
Christian
Comics
Compilation
Cooking & Recipes
Documentary
Education
Fantasy - General
Fantasy - OZ
Fiction - Christian
Fiction - General
Fiction - Historical
Fiction - Military
Fiction - Non
Fiction - Science
Games and Amusements
Gothic
Government
Health & Medical
History - General
History - Military
Horror - General
Horror - Vampires
Horror - Zombies
Humor
Literature & Languages
Mature
Military
Miscellaneous
Mystery & Crime
Poetry
Reference
Romance
Thriller & Suspense
Young Adult & Children

I know there are going to be more genres defined as I continue to catalog and index my ebook collection.

I have created the above folder structure in the \Kindle\Documents folder and then use the Kindle Collection Manager for Windows to put the ebook into the appropriate collection.

As I've been doing thsi, I've started to wonder if I should make a fundamental change in the way I store ebooks on the Kindle.

Regardless of how the ebooks are stored on the Kindle, I will continue to keep my archive ebook collection categorized by genre folders as well as continue to name my files as I stated in the first post of this thread:

[TITLE] - [AUTHOR] [(GENRE)].EXTENTION

For example: 1632 - Eric Flint (Science Fiction).mobi

I'm starting to wonder if it is really necessary to segregate the ebooks into their own genre folder on the Kindle itself. It seems to me (now...) that as long as I follow the file naming convension above and always include the genre, I could simply put my ebooks "naked" in the Kindle\Documents\ folder and not put them in their own genre folders. Then, using the Kindle Collections Manager for Windows, it would be an easy (relatively...) task of moving a given genre ebook into the appropriate genre collection.

Your thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Have a great day!

Regards,

Vandy
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #27
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Wow that is quite a list.

That would be way too long for me. My goal was to keep my locations to one page so I didn't have to leave the screen to find what I was looking for.

The only person who has to be comfortable with your organization system is you. Go ahead and do what feels right. Maybe when you put it together you will realize that you can merge some catagories or eliminate some catagories.

Last edited by ProfCrash; 11-08-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:13 AM   #28
bitschnau
Enthusiast
bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
At the moment, I want my collections fit on one page, with the Herald Tribune as the last option, this reduces my options to this list of collections:

General Fiction
Classic Fiction
Children's Fiction
Extraordinary Fiction
Non-Fiction
Lifehack
Reference
2 Read
Read
bitschnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:28 AM   #29
reech
Connoisseur
reech doesn't litterreech doesn't litter

Device: Sony eReader PRS-600
This all falls down around series lists. I'm anally retentive enough to want to continue reading in a series, so I have to have collections with the series name in them, and thanks to the Kindle's wretched sorting, I've got to either put a number in front of each book in the series, or use Calibre's pub-date info (which for some reason still lists last in the series first, but hey, I can cope with that!)
reech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #30
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I am spoiled, my DXG allows me to have many more collections on the front page. If I had a K3 I would allow myself two pages of collections.

Tags
collection manager, collections, genre, index, organize