Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #121
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecE View Post
I am convinced that sometime in the early 1960's I read a book that included the phrase "Coachman, coachman, whip up the horses! The rear wheel has fallen off and the postilion has been struck by lightning!"
I thought 'whipping up the horses' meant to go faster - wouldn't that be a strange thing to do in such circumstances?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #122
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Does someone know of this Sci-Fi book I read in the early 80's.

Set in the US (probably) the main plot surrounds the creation and spreading of millions of small glass beads capable of recording and playing back what they see.

I think the hero/inventor may murder or have his wife murdered.
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #123
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I thought 'whipping up the horses' meant to go faster - wouldn't that be a strange thing to do in such circumstances?
I think the absurdity may be deliberate
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #124
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCeeEll View Post
small glass beads capable of recording and playing back what they see.
These elements appear (in separate stories) in the Slow Glass patchwork novel Other Days, Other Eyes by Bob Shaw.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #125
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
Other Days, Other Eyes by Bob Shaw.
That is the one, thank you.
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #126
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecE View Post
I am convinced that sometime in the early 1960's I read a book that included the phrase "Coachman, coachman, whip up the horses! The rear wheel has fallen off and the postilion has been struck by lightning!" I had thought it was Jerome K Jerome's 'Three Men on the Bummel' but the Gutenberg etext I downloaded does not have this phrase at all (neither does it have the dialogue I remember between the narrator and a German shopkeeper regarding the purchase of a collar stud). Can anybody help? This is really bugging me now.
It might be The life of Voltaire By Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Stephen G. Tallentyre

http://books.google.com/books?id=MDA...esult&resnum=5
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #127
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Help, I'm looking for a story written from the point of view of a dog. Can't remember if he was a stray or not but he's intelligent, manipulative and has a superiority complex towards humans. It's a fairly humorous work of fiction that I read back when I was still in high school, but, for the life of me, I can't remember what the title or who the author is now.

Thanks!
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #128
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Help, I'm looking for a story written from the point of view of a dog. Can't remember if he was a stray or not but he's intelligent, manipulative and has a superiority complex towards humans. It's a fairly humorous work of fiction that I read back when I was still in high school, but, for the life of me, I can't remember what the title or who the author is now.

Thanks!
You called? (Intelligent? Manipulative? Superior? Absolutely! Hey, I should write a book!)
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #129
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Thanks!
Mark Twain's A Dog's Tale might be the one you mean.

Here's the opening:

Quote:
My father was a St. Bernard, my mother was a collie, but I am a Presbyterian. This is what my mother told me, I do not know these nice distinctions myself. To me they are only fine large words meaning nothing. My mother had a fondness for such; she liked to say them, and see other dogs look surprised and envious, as wondering how she got so much education. But, indeed, it was not real education; it was only show: she got the words by listening in the dining-room and drawing-room when there was company, and by going with the children to Sunday-school and listening there; and whenever she heard a large word she said it over to herself many times, and so was able to keep it until there was a dogmatic gathering in the neighborhood, then she would get it off, and surprise and distress them all, from pocket-pup to mastiff, which rewarded her for all her trouble.
Even better, vivaldirules has already uploaded it into our library.
LRF:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20938
Mobi/prc:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20939
IMP
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20940
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #130
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Mark Twain's A Dog's Tale might be the one you mean.
Nope, that's not it. Reading the summary and beginning, it's too dramatic to be the book I was looking for. The story's more contemporary and the dog was very tongue-in-cheek.

I'm happy to report I found the book on Amazon. The title is "A Dog's Life" by Peter Mayle. Unfortunately, it's not available in ebook format. I kinda had a feeling that was the title but when I did a Google search for it yesterday, the result I got was written by Ann M. Martin.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #131
markbond1007
Connoisseur
markbond1007 doesn't littermarkbond1007 doesn't litter

Device: CyBook Gen3, Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Ohh, maybe somebody here can help me!

There was this book, I read when I was 11 or 12.

I hardly remember the story, but one fact did stick in my mind.

It was about a boy, a slave, who escaped his slavery. He had a medallion, it was his and it proved he was some kind of king (I think it was) in some faraway land. I don't really remember the story, except that that medallion was very important.
Sounds a bit like the cartoon "Mysterious cities of Gold" (now this could have been from a book obviously, but I dont know)..

Mark
markbond1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #132
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does this thread still need to be a sticky?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #133
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm looking for a book I read about 30 years ago. It was fantasy. It was about someone (two men I believe) from the present who get transported to a medevil/fantasy type setting. He has an M1 rifle with him. They fight an evil villan (a wizard), I think. They walk around a lake. The barrel of the M1 gets bent (it gets stuck under a helmet when he shoots it). I thought the author first name was Terry (I checked Terry Goodkind and Terry brooks, quickly, and nothing stood out). How's that for a memory.

Thanks.

Last edited by John F; 08-10-2009 at 10:54 AM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #134
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does this thread still need to be a sticky?
Personally, I would prefer that it stay a sticky, Jon. There seems to a regular flow of people with the same desire and it's good to have an easy place to find the thread.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #135
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm looking for a book I read about 30 years ago. It was fantasy. It was about someone (two men I believe) from the present who get transported to a medevil/fantasy type setting. He has an M1 rifle with him. They fight an evil villan (a wizard), I think. They walk around a lake. The barrel of the M1 gets bent (it gets stuck under a helmet when he shoots it). I thought the author first name was Terry (I checked Terry Goodkind and Terry brooks, quickly, and nothing stood out). How's that for a memory.

Thanks.
Doomfarers of Coramonde by Brian Daley?

Last edited by wayspooled; 08-10-2009 at 05:44 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths