Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
simogere
simogere began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook over ADB problems

I'm trying connectig nook over ADB.... but it doesn't works....

Nook IP: 192.168.1.103
Nook firmware: 1.4 with 2.5.1 nookdevs Softroot

I've done those steps:

- downloaded from this page

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

the file "android-sdk_r08-mac_86.zip"

- executed [...]tools/android update sdk

- connected nook over USB with with the ADB server ON (in Wi-Fi Locker) and the WiFi locked

- executed

Code:
macbook:platform-tools Simone$ ./adb connect 192.168.1.103:5555
unable to connect to 192.168.1.103:5555:5555
tried
Code:
macbook:platform-tools Simone$ ./adb connect 192.168.1.103
unable to connect to 192.168.1.103:5555

Result: 4 hours of my life..... and nothing done!

Please, help me.

Thanks in advance, Simone.

Last edited by simogere; 01-12-2011 at 02:56 PM.
simogere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
donob10
donob10 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Simone
.. It is pretty difficult to get ADB to work over WI-FI, the route I think you are trying.
..The words:

- connected nook over USB with with the ADB server ON (in Wi-Fi Locker) and the WiFi locked
pretty much describes a technique that works. USB is the key. USB cable needs to be connected. Then you need to open a command line window (forgot my mac speak, maybe Terminal) and then type adb. ADB (executable, or whatever)has to be in a place (folder) on your mac that your your terminal knows the way to. It should work.
ADB server will, by default be on in WI-FI locker, you may want to use WI-FI locker to turn it off when not in use to save battery. I don't think it matters if WI-FI is on or locked for this path.
donob10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
ShadowDragon
Enthusiast
ShadowDragon has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Kobo Aura HD
Go to the Market and install adbWireless. You don't need to be tethered by USB. It worked first time for me. You still need to launch the sdk, but you will be able to run 192.168.1.103:5555 and it will connect.

edit: This worked for me on the Nook Color, so I'm hoping it will work for the Classic too.

Last edited by ShadowDragon; 01-14-2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: addition
ShadowDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
donob10

Shadowdragon
.. Good note. But I don't think a "nook classic" can even get to "the Market". That is if by market you mean the "Android Market". I think you need a nook color with the later version of rooting to get there.
.. Is there another market? The nookmarket from nookdev doesn't seem to list any AndroidMarket access apk.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
ShadowDragon
Enthusiast
ShadowDragon has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by donob10 View Post
Shadowdragon
.. Good note. But I don't think a "nook classic" can even get to "the Market". That is if by market you mean the "Android Market". I think you need a nook color with the later version of rooting to get there.
.. Is there another market? The nookmarket from nookdev doesn't seem to list any AndroidMarket access apk.
I was afraid that might me the case. Even though I have a nook classic, I never did root it. I don't know of any market for the classic. Maybe some one else will have some ideas for you.
ShadowDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
simogere
simogere began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by donob10 View Post
Simone
.. It is pretty difficult to get ADB to work over WI-FI, the route I think you are trying.
..The words:

pretty much describes a technique that works. USB is the key. USB cable needs to be connected. Then you need to open a command line window (forgot my mac speak, maybe Terminal) and then type adb. ADB (executable, or whatever)has to be in a place (folder) on your mac that your your terminal knows the way to. It should work.
ADB server will, by default be on in WI-FI locker, you may want to use WI-FI locker to turn it off when not in use to save battery. I don't think it matters if WI-FI is on or locked for this path.
The nook was connected over USB!
simogere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
donob10

Simone
..Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part. If the cable is in place, I assume you can see the nook as a portable device on usb, or whatever the mac term. That is you can look at the NON Operating System on your nook's memory card using your mac. This would include "sideloading" books from the mac to to the nook.
..If you can't get that far, I think you need to post your question with emphasis on the fact that you're using a mac. I like mac's, use to use them, but work has led me to the "dark side". There are mac people here who could help you.
..If you can "see" the nook from your mac, the solution should be easier. First of all, forget about connect IPAddress:5555. That is the way to connect through WIFI.
..Now we're back to my mac ignorance. In a terminal window you should be able to type adb help and have your mac spit out a listing of the adb commands.
..If adb is alive on your mac, you should be able to type adb device and have your mac screen spit back some string identifying your nook. If it says no device, you apparently don't have the correct "mac equivalent driver". That's a little piece of software for a mac that would be called a driver on mswin. There are people here or on nookdev that could tell you where to find that little piece. I'm not one of them.
..Another way to do the test is to type adb shell ls. That should display a list of the folders in the OS of your nook.
..I think that's all I can offer, but FOR SURE,
macbooklatform-tools Simone$ ./adb connect 192.168.1.103
won't work.
Try "macbooklatform-tools Simone$ ./adb
That should return a list of adb commands. If so then
Try "macbooklatform-tools Simone$ ./adb shell.
..That should return a #
If it does, you are there. That is you have accessed the OS Folder of your nook. Now you can do, for example a "rm filename" to delete a file. An "install filename folder" will install an apk. adb help tell all about this.

Last edited by donob10; 01-15-2011 at 08:09 PM.