Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2024, 03:05 AM   #1
Eason314
Eason314 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Deepl Translate with KoboStuff not working

Hi Everyone,
I just joined MobileRead- very glad to be here!
I recently attempted to implement Deepl Translation with NickelMenu, as talked about in this reddit thread and GitHub thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/kobo/commen...g_nickel_menu/
https://github.com/pgaskin/NickelMen...ent-1547035975
Unfortunately, the translation seems to work for a while, probably 5-10 translations, but then breaks down. It returns the following:
"wget: bad address "api-free.deepl.com""
I can fix it temporarily by powering off and on the device, but it seems like a very inefficient method.
Does anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks in advance! Glad to be here
Eason314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 12:45 AM   #2
shawnshact
shawnshact has learned how to read e-booksshawnshact has learned how to read e-booksshawnshact has learned how to read e-booksshawnshact has learned how to read e-booksshawnshact has learned how to read e-booksshawnshact has learned how to read e-booksshawnshact has learned how to read e-books

Hello,

I noticed that I could fix the issue by manually reconnecting to wifi. Apparently Kobo disconnects you from the wifi while reading after a certain time period. I managed to fix this problem always forcing the wifi to be on. I followed the guidance here and added the following lines to the bottom of my Kobo eReader.conf.

[DeveloperSettings]
ForceWifiOn=true

Hope that helps. Can also maybe play around with the MaxWifiTimeout setting but not sure if that is working.

Source: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...perSettings.5D
shawnshact is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2024, 06:03 AM   #3
Tommalka
Enthusiast
Tommalka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tommalka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tommalka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tommalka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tommalka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tommalka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tommalka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tommalka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tommalka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tommalka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tommalka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you are already using NickleMenu, you can just add:

menu_item :main :Force Wi-Fi On (toggle) :nickel_setting :toggle:force_wifi
Tommalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 11:52 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Just remember that having WiFi continuously on will increase battery use.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 02:10 PM   #5
elinkser
Groupie
elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnshact View Post
Hello,

I noticed that I could fix the issue by manually reconnecting to wifi. Apparently Kobo disconnects you from the wifi while reading after a certain time period. I managed to fix this problem always forcing the wifi to be on. I followed the guidance here

Source: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...perSettings.5D

Ahhh...so EnableDebugServices = DEVMODEON

Thanks for cluing me in!

EnableDebugServices
Enables a GUI for changing many of the developer settings, which can be found under the "Device Information" section of Settings. This can also be activated by typing 'devmodeon' in the settings. In addition, this enables a telnet server and writes logs to the ".kobo" directory.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...ration_Options
elinkser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2024, 08:51 PM   #6
shawnshact
shawnshact has learned how to read e-booksshawnshact has learned how to read e-booksshawnshact has learned how to read e-booksshawnshact has learned how to read e-booksshawnshact has learned how to read e-booksshawnshact has learned how to read e-booksshawnshact has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinkser View Post
Ahhh...so EnableDebugServices = DEVMODEON

Thanks for cluing me in!

EnableDebugServices
Enables a GUI for changing many of the developer settings, which can be found under the "Device Information" section of Settings. This can also be activated by typing 'devmodeon' in the settings. In addition, this enables a telnet server and writes logs to the ".kobo" directory.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...ration_Options
Oh I like this much better as it allows you to easily enable/disable in the UI. This can help mitigate the battery issue without needing to plug the device into a computer and modify a config file. For me doing

[DeveloperSettings]
EnableDebugServices=true

also works. Thanks for showing a better option!
shawnshact is offline   Reply With Quote