Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-26-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Okay, seriously confused about MobiDeDrm

Okay, while I love technology and new gadgets bring a tear to my eye, I'm sorry to say that when it comes to something like...oh, programming...I'm clueless. I have a book that I need to use MobiDeDrm on. I've tried and tried and TRIED to decipher the Idiot's Guide to using Python and all the other (I'm sure they really are to someone other than me) "helpful" guides to using this software. But not only do I not know what I'm doing, I don't even know if I've got the MobiDeDRM software! I downloaded a zip file with MobiDeDRM text files--but what the heck do I do with those? What's the point of those?

Is there any way I could get someone to take me through the process step-by-step (if you're allowed to, that is) so I can figure it out? Once I get it, I should be fine, but right now I've got a bunch of pieces that I can't quite figure out how to put together. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Ireadfreely
Ireadfreely began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone
join the club. Im lost too. I got so frustrated last night, I slammed my keyboard.
Ireadfreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflower75 View Post
I downloaded ... text files--but what the heck do I do with those?
In general, when you download source code from (say) pastebin.com it comes as a .txt file. You need to rename it to indicate its language. If it is a Python script, change .txt to .py. After it is renamed, if you have Python installed, Windows will recognize the file as a Python script and you can use it as a command name on the command line.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, I did that and it does recognize the file as a Python script, but when I click on the file to open it, a little black screen pops up, then disappears entirely. I know I'm doing this soooo wrong...
Old 10-26-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
Ireadfreely
Ireadfreely began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone
I get this message.

File '<stdin> ", line 1 in "<module>"
nameerror: name "mobidedrm" is not defined.

the script I have is mobidedrm04.py which i placed in the scripts folder.
Ireadfreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Okay, I did that and it does recognize the file as a Python script, but when I click on the file to open it, a little black screen pops up, then disappears entirely. I know I'm doing this soooo wrong...
You can't just double click on the script.

You need to open a command window. Navigate to the dir where the script is on your hard drive. Then, type the name of the script and press enter. It should respond with a message about the copyright and version number. Can you get that far?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
wallflower75
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You can't just double click on the script.

You need to open a command window. Navigate to the dir where the script is on your hard drive. Then, type the name of the script and press enter. It should respond with a message about the copyright and version number. Can you get that far?

BOb
Sadly, no. At the risk of sounding even dumber than I feel right now, the command window is the little black box that disappeared on me, isn't it? When I've opened it before, I've tried typing stuff into it and all I get are errors.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #8
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I now how you feel, it has taken me a few weeks to work out where ad what to do on the MAC, but finally got it working last night.

I'm sorry if you already know this but, to run a "DOS box" which is what I think pilotbob is suggesting, go to your start button and find the "Run" command/icon/instruction, when it opens, type in either CMD and hit enter, or Command and hit enter. In your case I don't think it will mattter which you use.

At that point one of 2 things will happen.

Either your whole screen goes black with a little white line and C:> appears at the top left or you get a "Dos Box" with the same inside it. (If the screen goes all black it just means your "Dos" is set to run full screen.
Then, navigate to where your script is on your hard drive within the Dos box, by means of the DOS commands.

eg if your script is in a file called "Softwarehack" in your C drive it would be:

"cd softwarehack" & then enter (ignore all quotes)

to check, just type: "dir" & enter & it should display all the files in that folder.

Then try running your script
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
wallflower75
Groupie

Okay, the little black box popped up, but instead of just the C:> prompt, I get C:\DOCUME~1\WALLFLOWER~1> instead. I typed in python25 and got a version number and copyright message. But when I typed in the name of the script, all I got was

Traceback <most recent call last>:
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
Name error: name is not defined

Am I at least on the right track????
Old 10-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Okay, the little black box popped up, but instead of just the C:> prompt, I get C:\DOCUME~1\WALLFLOWER~1> instead. I typed in python25 and got a version number and copyright message. But when I typed in the name of the script, all I got was

Traceback <most recent call last>:
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
Name error: name is not defined

Am I at least on the right track????
Yep. That is the C: prompt. It is set up to show you the path of your current folder too. If you type dir do you see the .py file in the list? If so, what are you typing at the command line to get the above error?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #11
wallflower75
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yep. That is the C: prompt. It is set up to show you the path of your current folder too. If you type dir do you see the .py file in the list? If so, what are you typing at the command line to get the above error?

BOb
The.py file doesn't show up when I type dir.

And I get the error when I type the name of the file (f2a681132). I've tried typing in the name of the program and got the same message.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #12
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Copy both the script and the ebook you want to open into your My Document folder. Then repeat the steps you did before to get to the black screen. Once you do all type the following into the black screen: mobidedrm04.py name-of-ebook your-PID
(Replace name-of-ebook with your ebook name and your-PID with the your PID number)
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:46 PM   #13
wallflower75
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Copy both the script and the ebook you want to open into your My Document folder. Then repeat the steps you did before to get to the black screen. Once you do all type the following into the black screen: mobidedrm04.py name-of-ebook your-PID
(Replace name-of-ebook with your ebook name and your-PID with the your PID number)
I get the following message:

mobidedrm04.py is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

And back to the C prompt I go. Is there an icon for throwing your keyboard through the monitor??
Old 10-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #14
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:

mobidedrm04.py is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

And back to the C prompt I go. Is there an icon for throwing your keyboard through the monitor??
Try locating the script (and document you are converting) within the python25 folder..and running it from there.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:51 PM   #15
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:

Sorry. My fault. After opening the command prompt (black screen) type first: cd "My Documents" (with the quotes)
Then type this line: mobidedrm04.py name-of-ebook your-PID
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote