Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #31
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I going to read at least one classic that I have never read before. Also, I want to read all my pbacks that are unread (and then donate them to the library) to clear off my bookshelves.
Many people want to wittle down their TBR lists (many number over 100) and I thought I was bad with about 50 books TBR. That makes me feel better.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:56 PM   #32
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I want to cut down my ever expanding TBR list.

That probably means I MUST STOP BUYING MORE EBOOKS. (Note to self - repeat 10 times whenever I turn on a computer.

This month I have acquired around 80 books. There were a few freebies, but mostly bought. Please note - I don't get pirated books. I've read nearly 40 but I'm running out of time this month. I did manage to read Oct and Nov purchases but they were around 50.

It's these new Geographic Restrictions to blame. I delayed buying some books, then they were put on the restricted list. Now if I want it I get it before it disappears (or I forget I wanted to read it.)
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
This month I have acquired around 80 books. There were a few freebies, but mostly bought.
WOW! How about this... commit to donating your monthly ebook budget to Darfur until you have finished your TBR pile. Then you can buy more books.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:38 PM   #34
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
My reading resolutions for 2010 are :
- keep trying to read approximately a book each week (this shouldn't be a problem, this is my normal reading rythm)
- read at least 10 non-fiction books (I did it in 2009 and was very glad I did)
- try to read at least one self-published work every two months.

EDIT: I also joined the mobileread group on goodreads.com, and I'll try to edit my status concerning the books I'm reading regularly. This could be a fun way to see what everybody is reading.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:45 PM   #35
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
If someone turned this thread into a poem it could be called the 'Ballad of Reading Goals'.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #36
leonnyan
Enthusiast
leonnyan began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700BC
Nice thread to read.

My goals for 2010 are in two large buckets:
1) Finish what I've already purchased!
In my reader waiting to be read or partially finished I have: The End of Overeating, The Drunkard's Walk, Free, John Adams, Team of Rivals, Who's Your City? and another 10 mysteries and sci-fi.

2) Learn how to update only the metadata via calibre.

--Leon
leonnyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #37
Enraptured
Connoisseur
Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Touch
I want to get two books off my TBR (whether it's by finishing them or by reading the beginning and deciding I'm not interested) for every book I buy. I have almost 300 TBR books, and I want to get some of them read; it's just so hard to resist buying new ones...
Enraptured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:50 AM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
If someone turned this thread into a poem it could be called the 'Ballad of Reading Goals'.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:50 AM   #39
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enraptured View Post
I want to get two books off my TBR (whether it's by finishing them or by reading the beginning and deciding I'm not interested) for every book I buy. I have almost 300 TBR books, and I want to get some of them read; it's just so hard to resist buying new ones...
I decided to STOP BUYING ebooks until my birthday (8th May). That way I might make my goal of halving my TBR folder (from 400 to 200) by the end of 2010.

I do rather like the idea of only buying one for every two removed from the list. Perhaps I'll do that once I start buying again. Or perhaps one for every three...
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:49 AM   #40
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
My goal is to keep track of the books I read (for once) and to complete the 100+ books challenge on Goodreads.
Also, I will try to finish reading the many fantasy and manga series' I have started and not completed. I'd also like to read a few more classics, I didn't read many this past year, same with Croatian authors. And I'd like to get through a decent sized text in Sanskrit, which I have started learning. Also, there are a couple of books on toponomastics that have been waiting for me to pick them up, and I've been putting it off for months...
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:26 AM   #41
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enraptured View Post
I like this idea. I think I'll do the same.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #42
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I've decided to re-read (and complete) some fantasy series that I read as a child but for various reasons never read to the end. I have it as a goal to have at least one in progress at all times, but I don't expect to finish my list by the end of 2010. If I do finish by December 31, I will be pleased, but I'm not going to be disappointed if I don't get to the end by then.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #43
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
In 2010, I intend
  • Not to buy any more eBooks until at least my birthday on 8th May
Sigh - fail. I bought the "The Girl Who Played with Fire" by Steig Larsson at 100% micropay rebate to boost my micropay balance.

Sigh... So I could buy 79 books with micropay at 100% micropay rebate. i.e. for nothing. Loads of books by Sue Grafton, Lora Leigh and Janet Evanovich. I suspect that many I won't read, but since they were free, it seemed silly not to get them while I could. I'm sure I'll find something there I'll really like.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #44
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Sigh - fail. I bought the "The Girl Who Played with Fire" by Steig Larsson at 100% micropay rebate to boost my micropay balance.

Sigh... So I could buy 79 books with micropay at 100% micropay rebate. i.e. for nothing. Loads of books by Sue Grafton, Lora Leigh and Janet Evanovich. I suspect that many I won't read, but since they were free, it seemed silly not to get them while I could. I'm sure I'll find something there I'll really like.
I feel your pain. Also read about the Sue Grafton offer and just had to buy 2 100% rebate CC books to get all the Grafton books except for P and U (and M, N and O which isn't on Fictionwise).

And, although it's late, my 2010 reading goal is to try to read 100 books (with a minimum of 300 pages per book).

Last edited by Crusader; 02-09-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Clarify number of pages
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #45
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I feel your pain. Also read about the Sue Grafton offer and just had to buy 2 100% rebate CC books to get all the Grafton books except for P and U (and M, N and O which isn't on Fictionwise).

And, although it's late, my 2010 reading goal is to try to read 100 books (with a minimum of 300 pages).
That's only 3 pages per book!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote