Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #16
shelleyp
shelleyp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
As an alternative to my "use Calibre" advice above, note that mobi2mobi (from MobiPerl) can remove the clipping limit (EXTH record type 401) entirely (like Calibre) or change its value. It can do this even if your AZW file has DRM. It does not remove the rest of the DRM, but it does remove/edit the limit. I don't know what effect this has if you have existing clippings and highlights, because the .mbp file might get automatically deleted if the AZW file is replaced.

wallcraft, I've not used mobi2mobi, and I'm not sure what you can write here, but can you point to documentation for the app? I've installed it, but not sure what command to run to specifically look at clipping limits, or change clipping limits.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
shelleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #17
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyp View Post
I've installed it, but not sure what command to run to specifically look at clipping limits, or change clipping limits.
There is an on-line man page. See also Kindle Mobi2Mobi Vista/XP, which includes screenshots that show "item: 401 - ClippingLimit", and Mobi2Mobi Advanced. The results of the commands should also be the same on a Mac or under Linux.

To see the limit, use mobi2mobi with no options:
Code:
mobi2mobi ebook.azw
this prints out all the EXTH records as well as other stuff. The ClipingLimit is in Hex. For example I saw 0xa (10), 0x1e (30) and 0x64 (100) in three AZWs. You can use Google to convert: search for "0x1e to decimal".

The Mobi2Mobi Advanced page gives examples of changing an EXTH record using --exthtype and --exthdata. Another option, perhaps easier, is to delete an EXTH record, for example:
Code:
mobi2mobi "Book.azw" --outfile "Book-EXTH.azw" --delexthtype TYPE
will delete the EXTH record of type TYPE. The number might work for TYPE or its name in lowercase.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #18
shelleyp

Quote:
There is an on-line man page. See also Kindle Mobi2Mobi Vista/XP, which includes screenshots that show "item: 401 - ClippingLimit", and Mobi2Mobi Advanced. The results of the commands should also be the same on a Mac or under Linux.

Code:
mobi2mobi ebook.azw
this prints out all the EXTH records as well as other stuff. The ClipingLimit is in Hex. For example I saw 0xa (10), 0x1e (30) and 0x64 (100) in three AZWs. You can use Google to convert: search for "0x1e to decimal".

The Mobi2Mobi Advanced page gives examples of changing an EXTH record using --exthtype and --exthdata. Another option, perhaps easier, is to delete an EXTH record, for example:
Code:
will delete the EXTH record of type TYPE. The number might work for TYPE or its name in lowercase.

Thank you so much. I see the clipping limit now. I tried it on one of the out-of-copyright freebie books that Amazon provides. Amazon attached a clipping limit of 10.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #19
shelleyp

Quote:

Code:
mobi2mobi ebook.azw

Code:
I think I have an idea about the clipping limit. I think it's a percentage, not an absolute value. Ten would be ten percent, not ten separate clippings; 100 would be 100% of the book can be clipped, not 100 separate instances.

This would match with what we would expect from non-DRM books, don't you think?
Old 05-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #20
shelleyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyp View Post
I think I have an idea about the clipping limit. I think it's a percentage, not an absolute value. Ten would be ten percent, not ten separate clippings; 100 would be 100% of the book can be clipped, not 100 separate instances.

This would match with what we would expect from non-DRM books, don't you think?
I realized after I wrote this, that the values being a percentage was possibly already obvious to some/most of you. You'll have to excuse me -- I'm still trying to wrap my head around "clipping limit".

And the mobi2mobi workaround worked beautifully. I lost the original notes, but I'd already made a copy of the clipping file with that info. Next time I'll modify the clipping limit before I start a book.

Thanks again for help.
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 01:14 AM   #21
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hi Guys, can someone please help me source a free ebook in AZW format with an example of the Clipping Limit & TTS Flag. I've recently updated the Mobi2Mobi_GUI to expand its EXTH flag range and would like to build some more specific support for AZW files into it. Currently you have to select 401 or 404 options from the Delete Type to clear the Clipping Limit & TTS Flag.

Any volunteers willing to tryout some beta builds would also be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jad
Jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #22
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

Disregard above, I've sussed out enough detail thanks to Daffy4U and the various threads in the forum to make the changes to the GUI. The GUI is now much more Kindle friendly. A Beta version is available in the Mobi2Mobi_GUI thread for anyone willing to do some testing.

Cheers

Jad
Old 06-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #23
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Hey Jad, you didn't go to Purdue, did you?
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:44 AM   #24
Jad
Groupie

Hey sirbruce, afraid not. I'm a born and bred West Ozzy, I've travelled a bit with work over the years but have never made it to the States as yet. Will probably do the whole Disneyland thing when the girls are older though.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:02 AM   #25
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's what I thought, but I used to know a JAD and was worried he moved to Australian or something.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:52 AM   #26
Jad
Groupie

There are worse things that can happen to you than moving to Australia.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:44 AM   #27
sirbruce
Provocateur

Yeah, he could have moved to New Zealand!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #28
kheber
kheber began at the beginning.

I realize I'm dredging up an old thread, but I can't find the answer anywhere I have looked.

What is the appropriate command line to change the ClippingLimit of an ebook, using mobi2mobi?

Before I make any changes the file as this value:
Code:
EXTH    item: 401 - ClippingLimit - 1 - 0xa
I use these options with mobi2mobi:
Code:
--exthtype clippinglimit --exthdata 0x64
but when I then investigate the settings I see:

Code:
EXTH    item: 401 - ClippingLimit - 4 - 0x30783634
The same thing occurs if I make changes using mobi2mobi_gui.

So why does the 0x64 I type change to the 0x30783634 in the file? Any ideas?

Last edited by kheber; 08-03-2009 at 07:47 PM.
kheber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #29
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Are you using the most current version of the GUI and mobiperl?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #30
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The best approach is mobi2mobi --deleteclippinglimit

This can also be done using --delexthtype
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exceeded, my clippings