Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
malkie13
malkie13 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Compatible Purchased Content

I did a quick search, but couldn't seem to find this info, so I figured I would ask.

Obviously, content purchased from the Sony Ereader store is compatible with their devices. Their selection, however, is... well, it leaves a lot to be desired.

While there are plenty of ways to "acquire" copies of books, which of the actual, legit web stores offer content that plays nice with Calibre?
malkie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkie13 View Post
While there are plenty of ways to "acquire" copies of books, which of the actual, legit web stores offer content that plays nice with Calibre?
Fictionwise: multi-genre ebook store; books available in "multiformat" are downloadable in LRF, and several other formats (which allows you to convert & tweak them yourself, if you care to spend the time).

Baen's Webscriptions: Science fiction, includes many current books & older ones that have been converted to ebook. Their monthly webscriptions include a bundle of 5-7 books for $15; books are purchasable individually for around $5 each.

Feedbooks.com: free ebooks, available in ePub or PDF, including PDFs formatted to fit Sony Readers.

Manybooks.net: more free ebooks--wider selection than feedbooks, but many are straight Gutenberg imports with no reformatting.

Some readers prefer Feedbooks' formatting; others prefer Manybooks'. Manybooks puts a blank line between paragraphs; Feedbooks indents the first line instead.

The sixteen free Harlequin romances are available in ePub format. However, Harlequin's standard ebooks are only available as DRM'd .pdf, .lit or .mobi.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Can I use Calibre to transfer books with DRM to my Sony? As long as I don't use Calibre to modify a ebook with DRM, I can keep it in Calibre's "library"?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #4
malkie13

Elfwreck, thanks for the reply, especially for the added info, over it just being a list.

John F, I'm going to assume that the only DRM'd content the reader can deal with are the books from the Sony Ereader store. Anything else, I would assume one has to. . . bypass the DRM.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
If you're in the U.S., many public libraries carry ebooks for download. The PDF format is compatible with your Sony.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Can I use Calibre to transfer books with DRM to my Sony? As long as I don't use Calibre to modify a ebook with DRM, I can keep it in Calibre's "library"?
Yes it will work. But, calibre can't read the metadata of many DRMed formats.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
malkie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
If you're in the U.S., many public libraries carry ebooks for download. The PDF format is compatible with your Sony.

cheers
Really? I gotta go to the library more often. I tend to want to /own/ books I get, so I've haven't really been to a (non-school research related) library in /years/.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Malkie, John,
To my knowledge the Sony store currently only supports their encrypted BBeB content (LRX). However since the Sony 505 and above support Adobe DRM, there are a broad range of DRM'd PDFs that work on the Sony Reader.

I don't know if they will work with Calibre, however assuming that the Sony Reader is authorized to the same person (AdobeID) that the content was purchased for, then all you need to do is a file copy onto the Sony Reader
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #9
malkie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Malkie, John,
To my knowledge the Sony store currently only supports their encrypted BBeB content (LRX). However since the Sony 505 and above support Adobe DRM, there are a broad range of DRM'd PDFs that work on the Sony Reader.

I don't know if they will work with Calibre, however assuming that the Sony Reader is authorized to the same person (AdobeID) that the content was purchased for, then all you need to do is a file copy onto the Sony Reader
Stupid question, I'm sure, but... How do you auth the reader with your AdobeID?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #10
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
On Windows (can't do it on a Mac)
- Launch Digital Editions (auth to your AdobeID if necessary)
- Plug In Sony Reader

Once ADE recognizes the Sony Reader it should ask you to Authorize (unless the Reader has already been authorized with a different AdobeID)
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote