Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
farfeduc
Kindle Addict
farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
9 Men Morris

Is it possible to cross-compile or adapt this 9 Men Morris onto the kindle paperwhite? or others maybe? (I only have PW)

Here is the game on linux : (with sources) http://nine-mens-morris.net/downloads.html

here is a demo taken for Assassin's creed III : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DS9BCXtPd4

here rules and history : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Men%27s_Morris

I don't know a thing about cross-compiling etc...

So if people can help/explain, they would be welcomed.
It is a very fun game, if you have'n t ever played it, try it.

EDIT : KUAL Package to Download here

All credit goes to baf who compiled it.(Thanks again )
Attached Files
File Type: zip morris.zip (284.3 KB, 1864 views)

Last edited by farfeduc; 05-25-2013 at 11:35 AM.
farfeduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
The main problem with x-compiling this one is the boost libs not being picked up by the configure script.

I have the x-compiled boosts libs but it fails to find them - even when pointed directly at them.

The configure also accepts --without-boost then fails to compile complaining that it can't find boost. Duh.

Perhaps this could be hacked together, shame about the poor configure support for x-compiling,

Also a gtk_set_title needs dropping into get it foremost.

I have a diff somewhere from when you mentioned it before.
Perhaps could be revisited.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
Originally Posted by farfeduc View Post
Is it possible to cross-compile or adapt this 9 Men Morris onto the kindle paperwhite? or others maybe? (I only have PW)
I gave it a try and it builds fine, which doesn't mean it will work fine

You may try to run attached binary from command line. There will be some dbus errors but these may be ignored.

@twobob
I didn't hack the configure script in any way, so your problem may be related to missing one of the boost libraries.

I just changed default window titles so that it suits kindle scheme and I commented out assert in line 1078 of gtkcairo_boardgui.cc (as there are more possible button codes on touchscreen).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_05_20T12_28_31+0200.png
Views:	1208
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	106044  
Attached Files
File Type: zip morris.zip (284.0 KB, 667 views)
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hmm... well I am having a tough time thinking straight right now.

Nice work mate. very KUAL
Attached Files
File Type: zip morris.zip (273.1 KB, 424 views)
Old 05-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
hmm... well I am having a tough time thinking straight right now.

Nice work mate. very KUAL
Thanks for dressing it up for me. One can always count on you!
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
farfeduc
Kindle Addict
farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It's working nicely, enough for me

You can modify but only if you want.

Thanks again ! I'm happy that one of my favorite game is working
farfeduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
twobob

Only bugbear is the overly long list in the OPTIONS thingy.

could be looked at. not a huge issue.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
There are various other board games feasible for porting to Kindle: Ataxx, Battleship... even snake..

See: http://youvscomputer.com/downloads.html

The zip has to be extracted to a folder and the index.html has to be opened with a browser..
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #9
Vicente
Vicente began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Thanks tested in a Paperwhite 2 FW 5.6.5 and it works!

Last edited by Vicente; 05-26-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
Escape314
Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Kindle Paper White, Android app
I know this is a very old thread, but I have a Paperwhite with FW 5.6.1.1 and I'm having trouble getting this to work. I read that all software on this firmware must be installed via MRPI, but I couldn't figure out how to set it up that way as there is no bin. I then tried to just put it in the extension and it then shows up on KUAL, but when I click on the link it just sits there and does nothing. Does anyone have advice for this?
Escape314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #11
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
my guess is it is a paperwhite version difference, PW1 is different form PW2 and PW3.

But try this. Try to launch it, and the generate teh logs, bu going to home screen of kindle, and putting this in search bar:
Code:
;dm
see if you can look at those log files and see if you find the part that kual launches the program, and see if you see any errors that can help.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape314 View Post
I know this is a very old thread, but I have a Paperwhite with FW 5.6.1.1 and I'm having trouble getting this to work. I read that all software on this firmware must be installed via MRPI, but I couldn't figure out how to set it up that way as there is no bin. I then tried to just put it in the extension and it then shows up on KUAL, but when I click on the link it just sits there and does nothing. Does anyone have advice for this?
Backup a bit.
There are several versions of morris attached to this thread, which one are you using?

Are you using the one in-lined in post #4?
That one was touched by twobob and is known to work on a PW1.

There isn't suppose to be an update_*.bin name format file that requires installation.
This game is a KUAL extension.
Just have your archive utility set to create the folder structure in the archive and un-zip it to the top visible level of USB storage.
DO NOT use win-zip! It will helpfully try to 'fix' the text files for you. Which results in trash.

What version of KUAL?
If not from NiLuJe's snapshots thread, update KUAL.

Did you finish that?
Ok, now try to launch the application.
Watch carefully, are there any messages put on screen while it fails?
Now check the KUAL log (IIRC, the current version does keep a log).

No log or nothing of interest found -
Go with coplate's suggestion above, dump the system logs.

Last edited by knc1; 10-25-2017 at 07:06 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #13
theol0403
Enthusiast
theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle PW3
Or try to run it with ssh

Open kterm or an ssh window, and execute the .sh file that KUAL runs. You can find that file by looking at the menu.json and looking at what happens when you click on the morris button. When you execute that file in shh any errors will show up in the window
theol0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #14
Escape314
Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Kindle Paper White, Android app
Thank you so much.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Backup a bit.
There are several versions of morris attached to this thread, which one are you using?

Are you using the one in-lined in post #4?
That one was touched by twobob and is known to work on a PW1.

I was using the wrong file, thank you. I thought since the first post was updated most recently that it'd have the best file. oops

There isn't suppose to be an update_*.bin name format file that requires installation.
This game is a KUAL extension.

I understood that it was a KUAL extension. The misunderstanding was from the jailbreak post that said I must use MBRI for all installations. Just my confusion.

Just have your archive utility set to create the folder structure in the archive and un-zip it to the top visible level of USB storage.
DO NOT use win-zip! It will helpfully try to 'fix' the text files for you. Which results in trash.

I didn't know that about winzip, I downloaded a peazip to handle the tz and 7z file formats that I've been encountering on here. I have been using winzips for all the zips though..

What version of KUAL?
If not from NiLuJe's snapshots thread, update KUAL.

I had most up to date KUAL, but lately it's been having issues closing. I've been getting popup messages from the OS saying that it didn't close properly and to contact AMAZON if I keep having issues. So I just reloaded it.

Did you finish that?
Ok, now try to launch the application.
Watch carefully, are there any messages put on screen while it fails?
Now check the KUAL log (IIRC, the current version does keep a log).

I updated KUAL and got the correct Morris and the only issue is I lost the first game. (-; I am way out of practice. You guys are so awesome. I still want to try the system logs (just so I know how to get the KUAL log) and see if I can figure out how to do the SSH thing (the remote hack sounded cool.) Your fast responses are amazing. I'm sorry I took so long to respond, I didn't have internet yesterday.

No log or nothing of interest found -
Go with coplate's suggestion above, dump the system logs.
Escape314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:27 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
A little bit of practice when things are working helps a lot.

The log files do not have any descriptions, they where not intended for customers to read them.
So it takes a bit to become familiar with what "good" ones look like.
Including the "usual" errors and warnings to be found. None of Amazon/Lab126 firmware builds ship "error and warning" free.

The Lab126 Q.A. process on a new build is similar to:
*) Boot it
*) Did it brick?
*) Did not brick.
*) Ship it.
That department is damn lucky I am not in charge of it.
The nation's telephone system works the way it does because our test and Q.A. standards where a bit higher than what Amazon/Lab126 uses.

Last edited by knc1; 10-27-2017 at 10:32 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cross-compile, game, men, morris