Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-26-2007, 04:16 AM   #1
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Talking I finally got my Reader!!!!!

I finally got my Reader yesterday at my local Borders and can only say that it is even better in person than it was in my imagination.

Of course, much of that was because I knew what to do and what to expect because of this great group of people on this forum, which I joined a couple of weeks ago.

I followed the lead of a post in one of the sub forums, where the person suggested getting a wrist lanyard from a camera and wrapping that around the back of the hand to provide a bit more support when holding the reader. That really does help, and lends a bit more mental security because I read in bed and would hate to fall asleep while reading and have it crash to the floor. That is one advantage of dead-tree books!

I also followed the suggestion of someone in the accessories forum and bought a Z-light at the same time, and have to say that it provides a terrific bath of light only on the Reader with very little spillover, which will make it excellent for me to read if my wife is still sleeping. The fact that the Z-light folds perfectly flat and uses the coin-type batteries is a definite bonus for travel.

I feel lucky that I ran into no problems in registering my computer and my Reader at the Connect store, and I've already used up my $50 credit.

So now I shall continue my project of renaming the PG files that I have and running them through the librie_textassistant program to remove the extraneous hard-returns so the text actually looks like a real page on the Reader.

I did actually let myself get some sleep last night, but it was difficult, I was so excited.

I also followed the advice on this forum to keep the books in the main memory and use the SD card for mp3 files, and find that the main memory will hold more than enough books, and my 4GB Transcend 150x SD cards will hold around 740 mp3 files (encoded at 192kbps) which will be more than enough for enjoyable listening when I wish.

I can't thank the members of this forum enough for all that I learned before getting this Reader -- things such as having the power on when removing or inserting a memory card, I never would have thought of to avoid potential lockups, but I was forewarned.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:19 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Excellent - welcome to the club . Enjoy using it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Welcome and congratulations.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ah, the joy of an informed consumer!

You deserve some credit yourself, dhbailey, for taking the time to figure out what you were getting into ahead of time.

I'm glad that you're happy with your purchase -- the Reader may not be perfect for everyone, but it's nice to see those folks for whom it is well suited enjoying it so thoroughly.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Hello, enjoy the reader, glad to have you. This forum has a very nice set of people around here when help is needed along with some crazy at times chit chat...........

Now I hope you got some sleep.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
You may want to check out the MobileRead Wiki Conversion Page. There are lots of great utilities there for preparing books for the Reader.

A lot of us started with RTF files and have moved to BookDesigner. The files it produces are less tha one-half as large as RTF and some of mine are as small as 10% of the original RTF.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
MikiBroki
MikiBroki began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Enjoy reading !
MikiBroki is offline   Reply With Quote