Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #31
seldd
seldd began at the beginning.

I would need a simple text editing feature in the PRS700 (to correct the OCR typos etc.). It seems that the new model still lacks of any editing capabilities.
seldd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #32
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldd View Post
I would need a simple text editing feature in the PRS700 (to correct the OCR typos etc.). It seems that the new model still lacks of any editing capabilities.
You can certainly mark the spots and then fix them on a PC later. The eBook reading formats do not lend themselves to editing directly for the most part. And the authors don't generally like giving you the ability to change what they wrote.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #33
yallcome
yallcome began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Well, still awaiting delivery to an APO address of a 505s from ship date of 10 Sep 08 from un-named major US bookseller. When shipped, the 700 didn't exist. I plan on returning the 505s and then making my decision. Jeez!
yallcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:37 AM   #34
pox67
Connoisseur
pox67 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (stolen), Bebook
Like a lot of you I have only recently got my 505. It was difficult to source from Australia and I had no idea about the new 700 coming out...

As a first time eReader buyer I think I would have still gone with the 505. It is significntly cheaper and the extra functions weren't high on my list. A dictionary would be almost worth it though. Also I use the RHS middle page turning buttons a LOT.

Now that I know I am completely comfortable with an ereader device and actually prefer it to paper books now the next one I buy will be have more features and cost more.

My only concern is that Sony will stop developing for the 505 now
pox67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:43 AM   #35
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by pox67 View Post
My only concern is that Sony will stop developing for the 505 now
Think I saw somewhere that Sony stated the 700 is not a direct replacement for the 505. I think they will still continue to produce and sell the 505 for those that neither want nor need the touch screen.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:17 AM   #36
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Think I saw somewhere that Sony stated the 700 is not a direct replacement for the 505. I think they will still continue to produce and sell the 505 for those that neither want nor need the touch screen.
the concern was not about either producing or selling the 505. Developing is a different thing. Will they continue to upgrade the 505? that is the question.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:52 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You can certainly mark the spots and then fix them on a PC later.
That's exactly what I do with the books I create - when I subsequently read them I just "bookmark" the pages with errors then, after I've finished the book, I go through the bookmarks, correct the errors, and produce a new version of the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #38
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
After a hands-on with the 700 at the SonyStyle store in Phoenix, I traded in my 500 on the spot for a 505.

I'm really mostly excited that I can now check out books from the library and put them on my Reader, something the 500 couldn't do. After playing with the 700, I decided the somewhat flaky touchscreen and uneven frontlighting wasn't for me.

I was also super amused that the Reader Revolution guy tossed his 505 like a frisbee against a wall and then proceeded to drop it waist high onto the ground and picked it up like nothing happened. Not a nick, scratch, or dent on it and it worked perfect as always. Not for the faint of heart (or me), but a pretty impressive demo of its durability to be sure.
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #39
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekchic View Post
I was also super amused that the Reader Revolution guy tossed his 505 like a frisbee against a wall and then proceeded to drop it waist high onto the ground and picked it up like nothing happened. Not a nick, scratch, or dent on it and it worked perfect as always. Not for the faint of heart (or me), but a pretty impressive demo of its durability to be sure.
It wasn't him that paid for it...
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #40
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
I, like many of you, just bought a 505 a little over a month ago. Also like many of you, I was relatively confident in thinking that Sony wasn't going to release a new model since they have been promoting the heck out of the 505.

However, I'm not at all disappointed with my 505 purchase (quite the contrary), and after reading about the 700, I'm not going to be upgrading.
< SNIP >
I just wanted to say that I agree with each and every point you made. Just display all my books, the PRS-505 is fine for my needs.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #41
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Btw, don't you fear the screen may be strongly scratched after a few
months using the touchscreen feature ?
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:48 AM   #42
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Don't really see how the screen would get scratched--unless there's dirt on it (or your hands). I've had an iPod Touch for quite awhile now, and haven't had any problems with scratching the screen.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #43
johnnyr
Connoisseur
johnnyr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekchic View Post
I'm really mostly excited that I can now check out books from the library and put them on my Reader, something the 500 couldn't do.
Can you please explain this, and what you mean? What format do the library's use for ebooks, and why did this not work on the 500? I'm also in Phoenix.

Thanks!

John
johnnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #44
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
Our Phoenix Public Library supports the Adobe Digital Edition (Adobe DRM) ebook checkout. It's PDF format, and you need to get the Adobe Digital Edition software loaded on the machine that you're going to drag it over to the Reader with.

The PRS-500 didn't support the Adobe DRM content, which I *think* is the reason why Sony offered the trade-up plan from the 500 to the 505's which do support the Adobe content.

All I do is check out the ebook from the library and it shows up in my Adobe Digital Edition app. That application also "sees" my PRS-505, and all I have to do is drag the book over to the PRS-505 from within the Adobe Digital Edition software and it transfers it.

The only book I've checked out so far though, is The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I just wanted a "can I do it?" test when I got my new PRS-505 last Saturday. I think I upped the size to Medium and it looks great to me.

YMMV (Your mileage may vary) on the other PDF's though -- I'd guess that PDF's with a lot of graphics and/or diagrams may not play as nicely. But so far the "novel" pdf's should work pretty well I think.

Hope this helps!
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #45
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's exactly what I do with the books I create - when I subsequently read them I just "bookmark" the pages with errors then, after I've finished the book, I go through the bookmarks, correct the errors, and produce a new version of the book.
I've been doing this as I go along - I read a few chapters (in bed), bookmarking pages with errors, then later in the day I open the source document in Word on my laptop to fix the bookmarked errors before transferring the updated book back to the reader. The advantage of this is that a lot of the errors are common throughout the text, so I try to do a global search and replace. This saves me extra work later. I sometimes wonder when I'll ever read the corrected book again - may be in 20 years time (at least I'll have a good proof).
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote