Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
drake-r8
drake-r8 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS T1 and Kobo wireless
Your impression of kobo wifi

I'm a long time user of a Sony PRS-500, and I'm thinking about getting one of those $60 kibo wifi's from borders. Any impressions on how it stacks up with the rest of the pack would be greatly appreciated! One specific question I have is the way it displays the contents of my library. Is it possible to display your books on a shelf, with covers, or are the simply in list form? Thanks for your inputs.
drake-r8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by drake-r8 View Post
I'm a long time user of a Sony PRS-500, and I'm thinking about getting one of those $60 kibo wifi's from borders. Any impressions on how it stacks up with the rest of the pack would be greatly appreciated! One specific question I have is the way it displays the contents of my library. Is it possible to display your books on a shelf, with covers, or are the simply in list form? Thanks for your inputs.
It is certainly the best reader you'll ever get for $60. It is very, very basic- it reads. And it reads nicely. But that's pretty much it. If you read straight text for the most part, it'll do well for you. If you want feature-rich, not gonna happen. It is, however, an extremely easy to use and reliable device and VERY well suited to someone new to e-reading. Daylight friendly because of the e-ink, good battery life.

It does have a dictionary, but it only works with Kobo-purchased EPUB files. PDF support exists, but it's a major pain button-ing over around left & right if you have to increase the page size because the text is small; I generally avoid PDF for that very reason.

It will indeed display your books in shelf form with covers.
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
Kobo wifi shows the justified text?
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
It's a great, basic reader. Integrates with Calibre like a dream.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I got mine at Boarders for $60 last week, and it's a nice little reader. Loads a bit slow, but so far everything is working fine and I have a ton of epubs on it. The font is okay for me, and the size choices work for me as well.

Nice little machine.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
I got mine at Boarders for $60 last week, and it's a nice little reader. Loads a bit slow, but so far everything is working fine and I have a ton of epubs on it. The font is okay for me, and the size choices work for me as well.

Nice little machine.
My only doubt is, text alignment is only to left?
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
drake-r8
drake-r8 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS T1 and Kobo wireless
Thanks for your replys. I will miss the ability to utilize chapter and footnote links, plus the Sonys ability to jump to whatever page you choose, but overall the Kobo looks like a solid second reader.
drake-r8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
historyb
historyb began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by drake-r8 View Post
I got one for my birthday a few weeks ago. I love it and I do have my books displayed as on a bookshelf
historyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:45 AM   #9
blastyrant
blastyrant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blastyrant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blastyrant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: KOBO WIFI
I picked one up a few days ago for $60 at a store closing.

The device is extremely easy to set up and use. You do not need to use the pre-packed software, but instead you should rely on Calibre. Files can be sorted into directories and named most anything you want. The KOBO will populate the master directory list based on the metadata.

The e-ink display is only 8 colors deep but it is enough for me. It even displays images rather well, enough to be enjoyable. The WIFI unit can be expanded up to 32 GB and supports micro SDHC (via an adapter). The unit syncs to the PC using a mini-usb cable, which is included. The unit can be recharged using the same cable and a powered USB port or via a wall adapter.

The dictionary feature, as previously mentioned, does not currently work on anything but KOBO ePubs downloaded from their store. From my limited research it appears that you must download them directly to the KOBO for the dictionary to function. Sideloaded (drag/drop or Calibre transferred) ePubs do not currently support the dictionary. As of the the v1.9.6 KOBO Touch software all sideloaded ePubs support the dictionary. I would recommend that all users take the time to contact KOBO's customer care and ask for KOBO v2 (WIFI) sideloaded ePub support (1-866-204-4714 or via e-mail at help@kobobooks.com).

The unit has options for Sans and Sans Serif font support and multiple font size options which make reading a pleasure. You can bookmark and pick up where you left off as well as browser via a TOC or by skipping around using the GOTO feature.

The most recent firmware (v1.9 r25373, Mar 29 2011) offers support for things like GOTO, closing books out of the "now reading" section, as well as CBR support. CBR is very limited as you can not currently zoom or scroll, there is also no landscape mode for CBR.

PDF support does allow you to zoom and scroll but is a bit slow. I find it interesting to browse around a PDF but have not had the patience to attempt to actually read a PDF magazine.

JPG images are supported if they are in a PDF or CBR file. I found that CBR images fit the screen better where PDF images are cut off. I think with some tweaking I could have had better results but for now I am only loading images for novelty’s sake.
The WIFI version has an Easter egg that gives you a black jack and video poker game. Both are rather fun and executed well, they help to pass the time.

The KOBO WIFI does not have any of the bells and whistles of its competitors. There is no Web browser, no e-mail, no mp3 support, no support for other popular e-book file types, etc. If you are just looking to read books then this might be the reader for you.

The only major bug I have come across so far is that sometimes after the KOBO populates its list with newly added files my view settings are changed. I currently keep my KOBO set to only display "My Books" and not the 100 free books which come bundled on the system. However, after adding new books the view is often set back to the default which displays all books.

I'm currently using the KOBO for light reading before bed, and I do not plan to use it for much more. I was spending around $20 a month on used thrift store paperbacks and decided that $60 put towards a KOBO was a good idea. I do not regret my decision.

I did buy the unit under the impression that the dictionary would work on all files no matter the circumstances, and I am very disappointed that it does not work on sideloaded ePubs. Hopefully they will address this problem soon.

KOBO's tech support is very good. I called today to request a firmware update for the dictionary and had a very pleasant experience. KOBO will continue to sell e-books and support their devices. I was told that v1 and v2 (WIFI) firmware revisions were still planned but that KOBO is more focused on the Touch. This is something to consider if you aren’t happy with the current state of the firmware.

You would be hard pressed to find another e-book reader with this kind of support, basic features, and great design for under $70 bucks. I say go for it and enjoy it!
blastyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
My only doubt is, text alignment is only to left?
I don't see anything on the "Display" setting to change alignment, which is to the left on mine. But that may be because that's the way the Epub is set up.

I like the left alignment, so haven't ever tried to change it. Don't know if it can.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote