Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #16
joepie
Zealot
joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Inkpad 3 -> Onyx Boox Nova 3
The firmware has now been finalized. I found it on the Ukranian site:
http://www.pocketbook-int.com/ua/support/pocketbook-302

Will install later today, when I find the time.

On the Ukranian forum some users noted that there is not much difference - if any - from the RC2. I'm curious enough .
joepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #17
doschdn
Zealot
doschdn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.doschdn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.doschdn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.doschdn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.doschdn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.doschdn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.doschdn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.doschdn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.doschdn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.doschdn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.doschdn can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: PB302
This is a RC3 wich is only available via pocketbook-int.com. German Pocketbook has it not released on their homepage. Be carefull when installing, it seems that flipping pages with PDF reader doesnt work proper (zoom instead of flipping, no reconfiguring possible). I havent installed it as its not yet official and final. Forkosigan told me in german forum that this is a RC, but didnt answered my question what RC it is.

You can follow the discussion here
doschdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #18
joepie
Zealot
joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.joepie got an A in P-Chem.

Thanks for that justification. I read on the Ukranian forum that this was the finalized firmware, but that appears to be an assumption by another enduser.

I have installed the RC3, and cannot see any improvements over RC2. Keymappings still do not work, which I dislike.

I will follow the thread you pointed out. There is still some hope for a final version then .
Old 01-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #19
joepie
Zealot

Some new activity

Hi everyone,

After the somewhat underwhelming firmware 15.4 there seems to be some new activity on the Ukranian forum just this week.

It appears that some bugs are scheduled to be fixed. I'll venture to say that there is still some hope for die hard 302 users like myself . I'll keep you informed.

Last edited by joepie; 01-26-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #20
joepie
Zealot

Hi everyone,

Just two weeks ago, a new alpha was launched for the 302. You can find it on the following link:
http://download.pocketbook-int.com/T...nxnew_user.zip

I bit the bullet yesterday, and this version solves the problem of the keymappings. They seem to work ok now. I have noticed no other problems yet, it may be a bit slower to load one specific epub book. Beware, it is an alpha release.

I'll let you know if anything strange happens .
Old 05-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi Joepie, et al,

I've been away for a while - my apologies, I just got out of the habit of coming here - but tried the link, and got an error message.

The file quoted is different to the one shown on the PB website, which I think we were warned about last year.

I note that even the file Joepie quoted is unfinalized... nice to know PB is as consistent as ever.

Many thanks for posting the info though, Joe, I'm certainly grateful for your determination and help.

Regards,

Michael P
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #22
joepie
Zealot

Hi Michael,

Your right, the link doesn't work anymore. The last message in the 302 firmware thread states that the final version is out, so I checked the ukranian site.
Eventhough I don't understand the ukranian language, I found the correct link by clicking around:

http://www.pocketbook-int.com/ua/support/pocketbook-302

then click on the 15.4, it has the exact same name as the one I got from the forum. Unfortunately, they differ at binary level. Nom I'm uncertain if this is the latest file or not.

I haven't run into problems yet with the latest alpha, and am using it happily. The navigation keys are working just as I mapped them. I have no real complaints other than I'd rather have a Pearl screen. The 302, built as a tank, will last me forever I'm afraid.

Plus there was one 'scary' moment, I had to redo the update. After a reset it updated fine, without problems.

Cheers,

Joe
Old 05-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #23
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
HI Joe,

many thanks for the additional help. I'll download the file and see how I go.

My 302 is also doing well - they are a solid device, and I just recharged it for only the second time this year! - but soon I'll be moving to a tablet, and will pass it on to my daughter.

Cheers,

Michael P
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #24
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepie View Post
...I have no real complaints other than I'd rather have a Pearl screen. The 302, built as a tank, will last me forever I'm afraid.
I put up a program (pbimageviewer) for which the downloads from here are holding steadily at just under 2:1 for the ratio between new and old ABI versions. I'm impressed by how many are still using their 3XX devices.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #25
prusaks
prusaks began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302
I would highly suggest updating your fw to 15.4 if you find the following new features missing currently:
+ web browsing/rss feeds(actually usable)
+ note taking while reading a book

I will clarify a littblebit on note taking. There are 3 ways of taking notes now.
1. highlighting text - similar to dictionary word selection but the selected words change background colour. Highlighted text stays highlighted when you go back to the appropriate page while reading and the note shows up in content page.
2. writing your own notes - like scribble application but on the actual text. This also stays on book page while reading and shows up in content section.
3. taking snapshots - taking an image of page. This has been also improved and allows to select an area using a rectangle. And same as other methods shows up in content which is really nice and has option for modifying the image.

New problems:
- fbreader wasn't willing to open. The way to get around it is to download graynm76-fbreader180 latest version from here: http://code.google.com/p/fbreader-po...downloads/list *At the time of creating the post "graynm76-fbreader180, v0.11.3 for PB60x/90x" seems to work without any problems on 302.
- pdfviewer doesn't have the new note taking capability but otherwise works just fine. On the other hand AdobeViewer has new note taking functionality but I was not able to open dictionary.

Lastly, here is my config file in case someone is interested:
Code:
hrss:@HTML_file:1:bookland.app:ICON_HTM
pdf:@PDF_file:1:AdobeViewer.app,pdfviewer.app,HackedAdobeViewer.app:ICON_PDF
epub:@EPUB_file:1:fbreader.app,cr3-pb.app,AdobeViewer.app:ICON_EPUB
acsm:@ACSM_file:1:AdobeViewer.app,pdfviewer.app,HackedAdobeViewer.app:ICON_ACSM
txt:@Text_file:1:fbreader.app,cr3-pb.app:ICON_TXT
fb2:@FB2_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_FB2
rar:@FB2_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_FB2
htm:@HTML_file:1:fbreader.app,cr3-pb.app:ICON_HTM
html:@HTML_file:1:fbreader.app,cr3-pb.app:ICON_HTM
php:@HTML_file:1:fbreader.app,cr3-pb.app:ICON_HTM
cgi:@HTML_file:1:fbreader.app,cr3-pb.app:ICON_HTM
asp:@HTML_file:1:fbreader.app,cr3-pb.app:ICON_HTM
jsp:@HTML_file:1:fbreader.app,cr3-pb.app:ICON_HTM
pl:@HTML_file:1:fbreader.app,cr3-pb.app:ICON_HTM
chm:@Z_HTML_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_CHM
rtf:@RTF_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_RTF
doc:@DOC_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_DOC
docx:@DOC_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_DOC
docm:@DOC_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_DOC
prc:@PRC_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_PRC
pdb:@PRC_file:1:fbreader.app,cr3-pb.app:ICON_PRC
mobi:@PRC_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_PRC
tcr:@TCR_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_TXT
wlnk:@weblink:5:fbreader.app:ICON_WWW
djvu:@DJVU_file:1:djviewer.app:ICON_DJVU
djv:@DJVU_file:1:djviewer.app:ICON_DJVU
jpg:@JPEG_image:2:jpegviewer.app:ICON_JPG
jpeg:@JPEG_image:2:jpegviewer.app:ICON_JPG
png:@PNG_image:2:jpegviewer.app:ICON_PNG
bmp:@BMP_image:2:jpegviewer.app:ICON_BMP
tif:@TIFF_image:2:jpegviewer.app:ICON_TIFF
tiff:@TIFF_image:2:jpegviewer.app:ICON_TIFF
app:@APP_file:4:start.app:ICON_APP
pbi:@APP_file:4:sysinstall.app:ICON_APP
Overall I would strongly suggest to update your firmware. You can get it from here: http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/support/pocketbook-302 The guide on updating is a littlebit flawed the number 5 step should be:
5. Holding both Big side buttons (page Up) simultaneously, press the “On/Off” button as if you were turing the device on. IMPORTANT: both “OK” and Upper Page buttons must be released ONLY after the message «Firmware update» appears on the top of the display (after the logo appears and dissapears! - don't release buttons after the logo appears - wait untill it goes away and you see «Firmware update» words!)
prusaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #26
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I would love to update to 15.4. The highlighting alone would make it worth it. But it seems to me though that if you make custom button assignments those assignments are lost. You only can use the buttons in the way they are originally assigned
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:45 AM   #27
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Sorry for the resurrection of an old thread. Is it possible to upgrade by using a flashdrive in the usb socket of the PB302 - asks someone who can't find a microcard !

I've not needed to upgrade to 15.4, but am still annoyed by the inability to connect to secured wifi.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #28
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Sorry for the resurrection of an old thread. Is it possible to upgrade by using a flashdrive in the usb socket of the PB302 - asks someone who can't find a microcard !

I've not needed to upgrade to 15.4, but am still annoyed by the inability to connect to secured wifi.
No problem - microcard discovered ....
Old 02-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #29
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
No problem - microcard discovered ....
Upgrade to 15.4 seamless - No change to the wi fi connectivity, though....