Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 04-03-2010, 03:16 AM   #1
rohar
rohar began at the beginning.

Device: Nintendo dsi
Smile Nintendo E reader

This is an 80 year fellow who is just discovering the expanding world of Nintendo DSi games and ebooks

For the past year I have been using the Classic Books put out by Nintendo for the DSi and am waiting for their latest, the DSi XL, hoping that Nintendo will eventually expand their library to cover a much greater range of literature.

Contrary to what may be believed, the Nintendo screen is not too small and I find that it is much easier to keep my place than might be imagined. The font can be altered, the pages bookmarked, and the two screens quite an advantage.

If Nintendo does not join the current ereader population can anyone tell me how to download ebooks from others on to the DSi ??

Please and
rohar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:39 AM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!

Super Nintendo fan here. I dont know much about the DS though.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi rohar and welcome to MobileRead. Sorry, don't know much about DS either
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, rohar!

I haven't used mine for reading, as I have the Sony 505.

MR does has a Wiki Page with more information.

I hope that helps. Just ask if you have any questions and a friendly member will answer or point you in the right direction.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Hi and welcome to MR! I'm pretty sure someone will come along soon enough to answer your questions!
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Hello,

I just got a Nintendo DSi XL, and I must say that the screen is excellent, and I really think that it has a chance to compete as an ereader if Nintendo chooses to go in that direction.

If you want to make it a more versatile ereader now, you will need a Flash Card, a micro sd card to store your content, and some software. You can buy a cheap DSTTi card (make sure you get an i version), and then you are free to use legal, homebrew applications.

On the flash card I reccommend DSLibris and DSReader. DSLibris is my favorite and supports epubs and XHTML formats. DSReader supports .txt format. Both allow you to adjust the font style and size, and also other screen options. However, DSLibris allows you to hold the DS like a book (why I like it the best), while DSreader only works with the standard orientation. They are both great, easy to use programs, and I have them both installed. There are other options out there, but those are the two that I find to be the best.

If you get one, let me know and I will help you set it up

Last edited by Noah98; 04-05-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello rohar, and Name:  black moose.jpg
Views: 2377
Size:  5.2 KB to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi rohar & welcome to MR
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
rohar

Many thanks for the very friendly welcome.
This is the first forum I have used and it sure is great to get your good wishes.
Many thanks to Noah98 and for the very informative reply
Old 04-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
tiggers7652
tiggers7652 began at the beginning.

Device: dell axim
Noah98. I have seen on the web that the DSi or the DS can be used as an e-reader as well. The directions to do this was quite confusing and complicated. Have you tried DSReader or DSLibris on any of the above? Also, what is a DSTTi micro card. CanI use a standard sd card? Last question (I think), if I try using these on my DSi can I harm the game system or should it be ok?
tiggers7652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #11
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
I have DSLibris and DSreader on my DSi XL. The DSi XL is the same as the regualr DSi (firmware). The older DS and DS lite can be used as ereaders as well, and actually just about any flash cart works on those models.

The Flash Cart doesn't actually change the firmware on the system, so it is considered to be safe. On other portables, you have to alter the firmware which could potentially harm the system. With the DS systems, you are simple running a program off of a cartridge.

You must use micro sd cards because they need to fit inside the flash cart which is inserted into the DS's regular game slot (called slot 1). The SD card slot (slot 2) can't be used because the system is limited in what can be run from that slot (security for Nintendo).

Setting up a Dstti cart is actually really easy. It is sort of a no frills cart with less features, but it is easy to set up and use.

Basically all you do is:

1. format a micro sd card
2. drag the latest official firmware files onto the card (download and unzip the firmware files from http://www.happydone.com/download.html)
4. insert the micro sd card into the little slot on the DStti cart
5. turn on the dsi and run the "game"
6. if everything looks good and it boots to the card, you can then shut it down, take out the cart, take out the micro sd card, and add any homebrew programs to it that you want.
7. dslibris can be found here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndslibris/
8. dsreader can be found here:
http://www.ds-xtra.com/DSReader#Down...l_Instructions

I hope that is helpful! There are many wonderful, free homebrew programs for the ds that make the device surprisingly versatile. The unfortunate thing is that many people will abuse the ability of the flash cart and use it for piracy.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:57 AM   #12
rohar

Thanks for your very constructive information. I now have the dsixl(by trading in the dsi) and will follow your instructions.
However I had believed in my ignorance that my 2300 points credit and Nintendo downloaded games would be transferred across. It appears this is not true and it seems they have to be forfeited. If this is correct Nintendo is doing itself a big disservice.
I am in Australia, does this apply in USA.

Regards
Old 06-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #13
Flynn Arrowstarr
Flynn Arrowstarr began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch + Stanza
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohar View Post
I am in Australia, does this apply in USA.
Yep, it's the same in the US. Lost a Mario Mini game and 200 unspent points in the upgrade, but they were free points from registering the original DSi, so I'm not really out anything.

I picked up a DSi version of Datel's Action Replay cartridge. It has a microSD card and can run the custom DS software. I'll have to try the ebook readers. Sounds pretty nice. DSOrganizer is pretty nice, too.

Flynn
Flynn Arrowstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #14
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #15
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Hello rohar and welcome to MobileRead!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote