Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Strange pagination in 1 book in Stanza

I have 1 book that Stanza doesn't like - at the top of each page it seems to leave 1 or 2 blank lines and the last 2 lines of text disappear (and are not displayed on the next page either).

The book is Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel and was a native Adobe ePub purchase, and moved to Stanza via ineptepub's good offices. None of the other titles that i have done this with display this odd formatting issue. I also tried converting it from ePub to ePub in calibre to see if it cleaned it up, but it didn't.

has anyone seen anything like this before?
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok - the problem was cured by turning off the "Display Styles" option in the Stanza Settings. Not quite sure what this actually affects, but it fixed the problem.

Phew.
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 01:58 AM   #3
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
I have 1 book that Stanza doesn't like - at the top of each page it seems to leave 1 or 2 blank lines and the last 2 lines of text disappear (and are not displayed on the next page either).

The book is Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel and was a native Adobe ePub purchase, and moved to Stanza via ineptepub's good offices. None of the other titles that i have done this with display this odd formatting issue. I also tried converting it from ePub to ePub in calibre to see if it cleaned it up, but it didn't.

has anyone seen anything like this before?
I saw a similar effect when I had taken a mobi book I bought from BoB, ripped the DRM, and used Calibre to convert it to ePub. The same book converted by Stanza on the computer, the problem didn't happen anymore.

Seems like some kind of oddity in ePub files that stanza doesn't handle well (or... maybe the formatting is bad, I dunno).

Could be the same as your issue.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:59 AM   #4
ChristopherTD
Addict

It could be some issue with embedded CSS stylesheets that Stanza is not parsing correctly. Perhaps that is what the "Display Styles" option does, with it off Stanza ignores them.

I was surprised that it fixed the problem, but it doesn't seem to have any bad effects on the other books either, so happy is me!!