Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
jeannieju
jeannieju began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Need help to read .mobi in Kindle

Hi.
I'm new to e-Books, and have had my new Kindle for about a month. I love it for the books I can buy, but of course would like to use the .mobi free books as well. I have downloaded two books in .mobi format which are supposed to work for Kindle, but although I can see it in my J drive (kindle memory) in the ebooks folder while I have the USB attached, when I unhook the usb cable, look in Kindle HOME, no new book is there. Have I missed a step? Two, maybe? Thanks. jeannieju
jeannieju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannieju View Post
Hi.
I'm new to e-Books, and have had my new Kindle for about a month. I love it for the books I can buy, but of course would like to use the .mobi free books as well. I have downloaded two books in .mobi format which are supposed to work for Kindle, but although I can see it in my J drive (kindle memory) in the ebooks folder while I have the USB attached, when I unhook the usb cable, look in Kindle HOME, no new book is there. Have I missed a step? Two, maybe? Thanks. jeannieju
If I'm understanding you correctly, while you have the kindle attached with the USB cord to your computer, you need to place the books in your 'documents' folder. Let us know if this helps.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 12-07-2008 at 05:40 PM.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi jeannieju and welcome to the Forum.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
jeannieju

Help to read .mobi

Yes, I can now see the book. I'm happy. Thank you so much. I had done that with the first d/l, but it didn't show. Second time worked. This time the d/l was from this site.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It sounds like you might be using the wrong version of Mobipocket Desktop. You need version 6.0, because it is the only that recognizes the Kindle, and will place ebook in the "documents" folder.

You can find it here:
http://mason.gmu.edu/~nhoffeld/Mobipocket6.zip

You might also want to read this (It sounds like you might know most if already):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...r+kindle+guide
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
lynntcb
lynntcb began at the beginning.

Device: Mybebook
New Kindle Global. Downloaded e-books into mobipocket which recognises them and puts them into the Kindle. Where are they, if in my documents, where do I find that? Is there someone out there that can take me through it step by step. Many thanks.
lynntcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
jeannieju

Wow, Wonderful!! Not sure why this e-mail with my 2008 help request came to me again today, but I have been trying to find another copy of mopipocket6 for weeks! All the blogs say 'amazon 'cooked' it', or words to that effect. So happy to have it again.. Want to try installing it on my 'H' drive to have less stuff using up my 'C' drive.

I wonder if version 6 will work in Windows 7 if I get a new computer? I use it daily to access RSS feeds. I am now using both Mobipocket6 and Calibre, both work, but at present Mobipocket is MUCH faster, and much less cumbersome to update feeds. Calibre, however, shows the date of the feed d/l in the index line on Kindle...nice feature!
Old 12-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynntcb View Post
New Kindle Global. Downloaded e-books into mobipocket which recognises them and puts them into the Kindle. Where are they, if in my documents, where do I find that? Is there someone out there that can take me through it step by step. Many thanks.
When you connect your Kindle to your computer, it is recognized as a USB mass storage device. Use Windows Explorer (or the appropriate Mac or Linux counterpart) to see the folders and files on your Kindle.

The image below does not show the "documents" folder specifically but it should give you a good idea of what you'll see.

daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #9
lynntcb
lynntcb began at the beginning.

Device: Mybebook
Smile books to kindle via mobipocket.

Thanks so much, downloaded to kindle so problems!

N the Amazon site on the right hand side there is a place where you can speak to a teckie and he will take you step by step. Then again, perhaps everyone knows that. Take care everyone out there, and all the very best for 2010.
lynntcb is offline   Reply With Quote