Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #31
quiris
Groupie
quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles: KOA1, KV
Quote:
And Calibre azw3 always ends up with "href first, ID second" sequence even if I reverse the ID/href in source epub.
No, atributte order is not a problem. I prepared test cases that id is always first, but it does not change the result behaviour.

I suspect, that PW firmware checks Mobi headers and if it finds that a file is not created with kindlegen it displays all footnotes in popup window, instead of a chosen one.

You can check below attached test cases. kg.azw3 works fine, since it was created with kindlegen. calib.azw3 does not work properly, since it was created with calibre.
Attached Files
File Type: azw3 kg.azw3 (17.0 KB, 249 views)
File Type: azw3 calib.azw3 (13.0 KB, 212 views)
quiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:11 AM   #32
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
I've done some testing and the way to get single footnote with Calibre generated azw3 is to add "page-break-before:always" to CSS. Which would look awful for book with lots of footones. So I will be using Kindlegen for book that have more than 5 footnotes.

Also while testing I noticed that if you markup your footnotes with href first id second but in seperate a tags then for both Kindlegen and Calibre generated azw3 file clicking on footnote number works "the old way", it jumps to the endnotes html file instead of opening a popup window.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #33
quiris
Groupie
quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles: KOA1, KV
Quote:
It looks like Calibre has some bugs regarding footnotes when converting epub to azw3/KF8
Kovid, fixed the bug in calibre: https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1293290
Next friday will be a new version of calibre with above mentioned fix published
quiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
I've done some testing and the way to get single footnote with Calibre generated azw3 is to add "page-break-before:always" to CSS. Which would look awful for book with lots of footones. So I will be using Kindlegen for book that have more than 5 footnotes.
That's always been my favored approach--regardless of how many footnotes there are. I like being able to follow the link to an endnote and seeing ONLY that note. Even before popup footnotes.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #35
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's always been my favored approach--regardless of how many footnotes there are. I like being able to follow the link to an endnote and seeing ONLY that note. Even before popup footnotes.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #36
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
can i make footnotes in a footnote?
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user743 View Post
can i make footnotes in a footnote?
I'm going to say no. Not because I know categorically that you can't, but simply because I selfishly want to discourage anyone from doing so.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #38
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm going to say no. Not because I know categorically that you can't, but simply because I selfishly want to discourage anyone from doing so.
I dont want real footnotes inside each other. rather i want to make a "pop up table of contents with levels and links". the built in one is horrible for long table of contentss.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #39
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I dont want real footnotes inside each other. rather i want to make a "pop up table of contents with levels and links". the built in one is horrible for long table of contentss.
Eh?

Clarification, please? What would be different about your pop-up TOC with levels and links than the kind that exists now?

P.S.: I'm with Diap and eschwartz on the footnotes-within-footnotes.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:47 PM   #40
user743
Addict

I have the first level TOC, inline. Each link will also have a "footnote", with the second level TOC etc.

The built in TOC can only display 4-8 (portrait/landscape on paperwhite) links at a time.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #41
user743
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiris View Post
No, atributte order is not a problem. I prepared test cases that id is always first, but it does not change the result behaviour.

I suspect, that PW firmware checks Mobi headers and if it finds that a file is not created with kindlegen it displays all footnotes in popup window, instead of a chosen one.

You can check below attached test cases. kg.azw3 works fine, since it was created with kindlegen. calib.azw3 does not work properly, since it was created with calibre.
They both displayed popup footnotes when i tried them.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #42
user743
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukzembla View Post
Hm, so because the way Old Kindle jumped back from endnotes to note cues, I'd actually automated moving the anchors from the note back to the main text back a few words, so the first thing on your screen when you jumped back wasn't just an asterisk / number - you had some context.
Why didn't you just press the "<" button.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Regardless of whether or not you'll be able to subvert the pop-up footnote functionality of the Paperwhite (which I don't think you'll be able to practically do), what do you foresee happening with your book on the rest of the devices/apps that don't support popup footnotes?

Trying to "game the system" usually causes more trouble than it's worth.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #44
user743
Addict

The same thing that will happen by a regular footnote.

But your probably write (obviously). I wont do it.

Last edited by user743; 04-30-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:21 PM   #45
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I have the first level TOC, inline. Each link will also have a "footnote", with the second level TOC etc.

The built in TOC can only display 4-8 (portrait/landscape on paperwhite) links at a time.
Uh-hunh. Right up to the point where Amazon takes the book down and tells you to "fix" it because it's BROKEN, because it would be utterly useless on all the devices that don't display pop-up footnotes. It would be annoying, as it would mean that everybody ELSE would have to jump to/back/to/back to second-level TOC items, instead of just viewing them on the screen.

Sheesh, come on, guys: millions upon millions of folks out there who still have K2's, are actively buying DXs and the like. If it floats your boat to do this for your OWN, to be used only by you books, then, great. But it's utterly pointless for the kajillions of Kindles that aren't Paperwhites, and would be downright ANNOYING.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote