Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
shlomof
shlomof began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unhappy viewing epub audio in a reader

hello,
after struggeling for wuite a while I succeeded in adding an audio file to an epub file, this way:

<audio src="SHLOMO-Greetings.wav" controls="controls">
Your browser deosnt support audio files
</audio>

after i did thatI was hopeing that since I could see the audio in a browser I will also see them in one of the ereader software.

so...it wasn't at all like this. I'm now in a new strugle to find an ebook reader SOFTWARE that will suit
1. PC
2. IPAD/IPHone
3. Android

so far every reader I tired, didnt support that sound file. am I doing something worng , or just still hav'nt found the right ereader?

the next chalenge will be making that ereader software support chinese characters, which is also a problem.

I appreciate the help,
thansks,
Shlomo
shlomof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
By default embedded audio or video is not supported in the epub specs. So, most readers will not display or play it.
Some players don't follow the specs, or at least not completely. In those readers it might work, if you can find the correct syntax. I think you might be able to do it in iBooks, perhaps.

Remember, an epub reader is not the same as a browser. An epub is not a full set of xhtml and css.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
shlomof

Yep, I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
By default embedded audio or video is not supported in the epub specs. So, most readers will not display or play it.
Some players don't follow the specs, or at least not completely. In those readers it might work, if you can find the correct syntax. I think you might be able to do it in iBooks, perhaps.

Remember, an epub reader is not the same as a browser. An epub is not a full set of xhtml and css.
I do know that it's not supported in the spcs. therefore I'm looking specifically for the reader software that it does work, even if I need to add different syntax and make different version for every reader.

would like to hear more comments please.
thansk,
Shlomo
Old 02-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think it may work in iBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It might possibly work in calibre or another Webkit based reading app.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
hard13
Enthusiast
hard13 began at the beginning.

i think you should try mp3 file format for the sound. wav basically doesn't support.

<audio src="SHLOMO-Greetings.mp3" controls="controls">
</audio>

try add, autoplay="false"
hard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
shlomof

calibre doesn work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It might possibly work in calibre or another Webkit based reading app.
but this could be that it's because i'm doing something worng. I'll change it to mp3 and see if it changes something.

thanks,
Shlomo
Old 02-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
shlomof

also, where do I add the autopaly=false ?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
shlomof

calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlomof View Post
but this could be that it's because i'm doing something worng. I'll change it to mp3 and see if it changes something.

thanks,
Shlomo
changing this to mp3 won't help. I still don't even get the controls to be shown. I just get the text that it's not supported.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
hard13
Enthusiast
hard13 began at the beginning.

<audio src="SHLOMO-Greetings.mp3" controls="controls" autoplay="false">
</audio>

remember you must convert to xhtml or html5
and try id to each audio tag e.g audio id="shlomo1" ,"shlomo2"....

<audio src="SHLOMO-Greetings.mp3" controls="controls" autoplay="false"
audio id="shlomo1">
</audio>

support on ipad and iphone (ibooks)
hard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That may not be ePub but instead iBooks. iBooks is not really ePub compliant and has a lot of stuff that's not part of ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, chinese, ebook reader, epub