Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
'Sample' books from Amazon

Is there any way to search on the Kindle device or the Amazon site as to what samples of books you've downloaded from Amazon? For a while I was using this as a way to keep track of future reads, but through (OK, total) fault of my own, my Kindle has taken on a life of its own. I should've used the collections software I've seen mentioned, but now I'm just going from book to book, enjoying each and every one and I stubbornly don't want to have to classify any books. Then there's that moment I think there's that one book I downloaded the sample of and it was about?

(I'm really a rather organized person. Except for my Kindle it seems.)

Help?
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
A sample on your Kindle will have EBSP in its filename, for example:
Code:
American Lion Andrew Jackson in-asin_B001FA0JSM-type_EBSP-v_0.azw
You can search for this when connected to a computer via USB. The rest of the filename is enough to find it in the Kindle Store, in particular you can search on the ASIN (in the above case B001FA0JSM).

If you ever decide to add collections, see Kindle Collection Manager for Windows,
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a big help! Thank you.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:21 AM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Wallcraft makes a very good suggestion.

There is no easy way of searching for all the samples on the Kindle directly. If you don't have many pages of kindle books then you can easily see samples on your kindle as they all have the word "sample" preceding them. This is no use to me as I have 60 pages of books to look through.

So I store all the samples into a collection on the kindle. If I buy a sample book then I remember to delete the sample off the kindle. Bit of a faff but it is a system that works for me. Be nice if the kindle automatically removed samples when you buy the same book.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
copyrite
Wizard

I have 30 some pages that I'd need to go through. I should've stored them in a collection from the get-go, but I had no clue I'd be acquiring this many books this rapidly!

Love your blog, TheKindleWorm... it's in a recipe that Calibre cooks up for me on a regular basis!

Here's what I did. Opened a command window, changed to the kindle drive and typed

dir *ebsp*.azw /s /on > c:\temp\amazonsamples.txt

Found 23 sample books! Yay!

Last edited by copyrite; 10-31-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Advert