Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
Problem with Micro SD.

I bought a Nook ST glow while I was in England last week. Love it. However, I had a problem with the SD card. I inserted it in the new Nook, plugged the device into my computer and dumped some of my books on the card using Calibre. It worked great for three days, at the end of the third day I put my Nook to sleep and the next day when I woke it up there was nothing on my Nook.

I took the SD card and put it in my old Nook ST - it also couldn't find the card. The old SD card that was in my old Nook worked fine in the new one as well. So it's obviously a problem with the new SD card. I couldn't ask the Nook to format it because the card wasn't 'found' on either Nook.

Now that I'm back home, I can try re-formatting the SD card on my lap top (I had a teeny tiny mini with me on vacation). Do I use FAT 32? If that doesn't work, then I guess I bought a dud card. *shrugs* It happens.

Anyone had this happen to them? Can a SD card suddenly stop working?
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
I bought a Nook ST glow while I was in England last week. Love it. However, I had a problem with the SD card. I inserted it in the new Nook, plugged the device into my computer and dumped some of my books on the card using Calibre. It worked great for three days, at the end of the third day I put my Nook to sleep and the next day when I woke it up there was nothing on my Nook.

I took the SD card and put it in my old Nook ST - it also couldn't find the card. The old SD card that was in my old Nook worked fine in the new one as well. So it's obviously a problem with the new SD card. I couldn't ask the Nook to format it because the card wasn't 'found' on either Nook.

Now that I'm back home, I can try re-formatting the SD card on my lap top (I had a teeny tiny mini with me on vacation). Do I use FAT 32?
It is FAT32.

I'd suggest that you first reformat it using sdformatter (https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/for.../eula_windows/) with "full overwrite" option.
Quote:
Can a SD card suddenly stop working?
Yes.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Thanks, livramax, I'll try that.

[Edit] Update: I used that software and put the SD card in my Nook. It 'found' the card and said it wanted to format it, so I let it. I haven't put any books on it yet, but for the moment at least the Nook realises that it has an SD card installed.

Last edited by JanG; 10-14-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
I've had a similar problem - my Nook ST developed an objection to my sd card. Sometimes it worked ok, other times it won't detect card until I remove the card and reinsert it. Tried another card, reformatted it with SDFormatter, also tried reformatting with the Nook. Tried a class 10 card but no better luck. Sometimes ok, other times can't find the sd card, or it detects a card but wants to format it - after reformatting the same problem occurs. Oddly once it is has recognized a card, it will work fine (can choose other ebooks after starting with one, and read for hours) until it is turned off. Then it is erratic. It's out of warranty, so I purchased a refurb from ebay and that works ok. I'm keeping the problem device because it does work after a fashion and is ok as a backup.

I've never found that the Nook corrupts the ebooks during detection problems; if I remove the card from the problem nook and use it in the refurb., all books are accessible and readable.

Last edited by bobcdy; 10-14-2013 at 09:43 PM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
JanG
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
I've had a similar problem - my Nook ST developed an objection to my sd card. Sometimes it worked ok, other times it won't detect card until I remove the card and reinsert it. Tried another card, reformatted it with SDFormatter, also tried reformatting with the Nook. Tried a class 10 card but no better luck. Sometimes ok, other times can't find the sd card, or it detects a card but wants to format it - after reformatting the same problem occurs. Oddly once it is has recognized a card, it will work fine (can choose other ebooks after starting with one, and read for hours) until it is turned off. Then it is erratic. It's out of warranty, so I purchased a refurb from ebay and that works ok. I'm keeping the problem device because it does work after a fashion and is ok as a backup.

I've never found that the Nook corrupts the ebooks during detection problems; if I remove the card from the problem nook and use it in the refurb., all books are accessible and readable.
Sounds like your problem is with the device not the SD card. With me, other SD cards worked in the new Nook and this particular SD card would not work in my other Nook. At least my problem is cheaper to solve, i.e. buy a new SD card. However, formatting seems to have worked...so far.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I had the same problem with my Nook touch, and found that anything faster than a class 4 microSD card had problems being recognized at odd times. It really was pretty random.

I don't know why, but keeping to the slower cards solved the problem for me.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote