Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #451
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If by folder support you mean: the ability place books in folders: the K4 allow this, You just don't get to navigate by folder

My ADE (MRSDK) PEz only uses folders.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #452
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, there is no device in the world that has support for folder navigation as they are not folders but directories/subdirectories.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #453
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
People have been brainwashed by the GUI world to call them folders Real men use the command line wherever possible
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #454
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
People have been brainwashed by the GUI world to call them folders Real men use the command line wherever possible
So now that we have it sorted that there is no such thing as folder support, we can move on.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #455
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I can see that I have a lot to learn. When my Kobo throws me something I don't like, I just grit my teeth and go with it, saying Grrrrr very loudly, but curiously, that does not help! One day very soon I will dive into the deep ocean of discovering how to have a better relationship with my Kobo
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #456
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2720 View Post
kikar..I'm green with envy...still no shipping notice for me. Pre-ordered the 16th, charged the 19th and then......nothing.... I was hoping to at least get a shipping notice today but it's looking like the pre-order was a bit of a joke since it's not going to get here by the 25th. Emailed kobo Friday and got a computer generated email back saying that they received the email and would response within 24-48 hours...nothing. Maybe they meant 24-48 business hours.
Same situation here. Pre-ordered 16th, pre-authorized 17th, pre-authorization has expired. You'll only get a canned email response "... you will receive an email containing tracking info when it has shipped...."
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #457
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
For people who are wondering about situations like this ... you can change where on the Kobo screen you have to tap in order to page forward. If one likes to hold their ereader in their left hand, they can make the left side of the screen the page forward area and the right side the page backward area. Problem solved.
A "solution" that would require me to remove my thumb from the bezel in a shaking, speeding, crowded vehicle and touch the screen for every page turn instead of holding it securely and just using a small rock of my thumb to change the page. Sounds inferior in every way to my page turn buttons. However, I can understand how an inelegant, second-rate solution would seem only natural to Kobo users.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #458
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I currently have my lovely PRS-650 and I almost never use the page turn buttons. If anything is inelegant it's neanderthals who haven't developed the proper thumb dexterity to turn a page and hold onto their reader at the same time. Still, I don't see how any of this is relevant to the Kobo Aura HD. If anything it sure seems to attract the haters who have no reason to post.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #459
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #460
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBilly View Post
A "solution" that would require me to remove my thumb from the bezel in a shaking, speeding, crowded vehicle and touch the screen for every page turn instead of holding it securely and just using a small rock of my thumb to change the page. Sounds inferior in every way to my page turn buttons. However, I can understand how an inelegant, second-rate solution would seem only natural to Kobo users.
I never thought I would be a touch person, but I am. I don't hold a belief that buttons are evil and touch is great, different people have different preferences and neither are wrong.
I will say that I can (and do) quite happily turn the pages on my touch based Kobo one handed just using a small rock of my thumb. No inelegant, second-rate solution required .
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #461
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
Kumabjorn has a good point: this would be really great for reading manga. I find the resolution is the biggest problem with reading manga on a Kindle.
Completely agree. Makes me glad the Glo was out of stock at all the places I looked when I wanted to purchase it. Even if the battery lasts just 2 weeks (of screen time), that's still a major upgrade compared to the tablets I use now (ranges from 4-10 hours screen time). And hey, it already has native CBR and CBZ support.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #462
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Got the Aura today -- Some remarks

It came by post from Toronto to California in 4 days. Here are some impressions:
1. It seems superior (to me, at least) to the Kindle Paperwhite, which I also have. Not only better resolution, but more uniform lighting. The size seems better for reading, and while it's slightly heavier, it's no harder to hold.
2. The only thing I don't like so far is that it tends to leave too much blank space at the bottom of pages. Perhaps when Calibre adds the device and one can send a book in kepub format, that will help.
3. It is possible to use the browser to access and download Calibre books through Calibre's content server.
4. It does give the option to use the original font that Calibre embedded.
5. For Calibre epubs, you can adjust the margins, the font and the font size, but not the space between lines. If Calibre generates a file with indented paragraphs, that's how it will appear in the Aura. If the file is justified in Calibre, that cannot be changed on the Aura.
6. One review said the Aura takes 10 seconds to wake up. Must be older firmware, because mine wakes up in a half second or so.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #463
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
Perhaps when Calibre adds the device and one can send a book in kepub format, that will help.
What is kepub? I have seen this term a few times and am not familiar with this format. Is this something different than epub?
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #464
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
What is kepub? I have seen this term a few times and am not familiar with this format. Is this something different than epub?
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kepub
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #465
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
kobo insist us being slaves to a pile of hardware using the very laborious one at a time bookshelf idiocy.
Then use Calibre to define bookshelves. It is much more efficient than doing so on the reader itself, and may even be more efficient than organizing files via the filesystem (since Calibre allows you to do filtering via various fields). Organizing via the various shelf implementations is more powerful than organizing via a filesystem anyhow. Filesystems force you to place books in one folder, and everything must be organized hierarchically. Shelves are nothing more than tags, so you can stick things into multiple categories.