Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #151
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
//============================
// sndplay - play sound buffer
// this plays until we kill it
//----------------------------
void sndplay(void) {
unsigned char buf[1024]; // play buffer
snd_pcm_sframes_t fc; // frame count
unsigned int i,j;
for (i=0;;i++) { // forever
for (j=0;j<sizeof(buf);j++) buf[j]=(random()&3)*i*350;
fc=snd_pcm_writei(hp,buf,sizeof(buf)); // play buffer
if (fc<0) fc=snd_pcm_recover(hp,fc,0); // error recovery
}
}

HEH! I love it! Brilliant
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #152
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Below is a detailed description about how I plan to add sound into my GMV (geekmaster video) file format, in a (mostly) backward-compatible way. Also described is a little bit about how to process that data to overcome potential problems caused by eink update time variability. Click the show button if that sort of thing interests you. [B]
I read: click me twobob - it is your destiny

Nice work. Love the extra touches, they will make this awesome as opposed to great.
Most exciting!

RE: THE DROPOUTS.

This may be something to do with the ALC / Noise Gate or some other Alsa thing that unwittingly got inititialised via one of the mixer programs. I will have a play and see if I can replicate tomorrow.

Last edited by twobob; 07-16-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Added some actual thoughts to the cheerleading
Old 07-17-2012, 12:30 AM   #153
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I read: click me twobob - it is your destiny

Nice work. Love the extra touches, they will make this awesome as opposed to great.
Most exciting!

RE: THE DROPOUTS.

This may be something to do with the ALC / Noise Gate or some other Alsa thing that unwittingly got inititialised via one of the mixer programs. I will have a play and see if I can replicate tomorrow.
It only drops out on the K3 at max volume. If I click Vol- one time, then it only occasionally drops out (for about a half second). Down two clicks from max and no dropouts at all. I think it may be thermal protection for the tiny little speakers. White noise like this would get somewhat low-pass filtered by the speakers causing them to heat up, I think...

I rebooted after playing with the mixers.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:29 AM   #154
twobob

Quote:
I think it may be thermal protection for the tiny little speakers. White noise like this would get somewhat low-pass filtered by the speakers causing them to heat up, I think...

I rebooted after playing with the mixers.
Possibly so.wondrous little box of joy
Old 07-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #155
twobob

Hi GM. when you built those Alsa libs you didnt -fomit-frame-pointers did you?

I can't seem to get the bt in gdb to work.

Thanks GM
Old 07-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #156
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Hi GM. when you built those Alsa libs you didnt -fomit-frame-pointers did you?

I can't seem to get the bt in gdb to work.

Thanks GM
I do not recall doing so. I rarely do more than -O3...
Old 07-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #157
twobob

Quote:
I do not recall doing so. I rarely do more than -O3...
Okay thanks, much appreciated.

Oh and the bug is in my use of the graphics.
something to do with reading beyond the end of the wave, simply eliding the calls to draw stuff fixes the seg. Have to look at the read data rates one more time. ho hum

EDIT: Which still doesn't explain why it is less stable via myts... (unless it's splatting into myts mem space somehow hmm... have a think about that)

Last edited by twobob; 07-20-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: added the myts thought
Old 07-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #158
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
-fomit-frame-pointer has been enabled by default in GCC 4.6.x or 4.7.something (on x86, at least), so you might want to build with -fno-omit-frame-pointer if you care about backtraces .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #159
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
@geekmaster whenever i open any video using this app in xterm,it just displays endless lines with words and symbols.is this normal or has something gone wrong?i have kt 5.1.0 and have used this code: zcat /mnt/us/videos/videoname.gmv.gz ./mnt/us/gmplay
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #160
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
You're missing the pipe symbol before the call to gmplay. So the gunzipped video data is put to the terminal output, instead of being piped in gmplay. Try
zcat /mnt/us/videos/videoname.gmv.gz | /mnt/us/gmplay
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #161
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there a converter to convert mp4,avi,etc to .gmv.gz format?
Old 08-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #162
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

Woooohooo!it works!i managed it.thanks to geekmaster for providing us such a wonderful app and thanks to hawhill for pointing out my mistake.the only way i can thank you is by giving you some karma.please accept it
Old 08-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #163
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
Is there a converter to convert mp4,avi,etc to .gmv.gz format?
Here is the "geekmaster video transcoder" (raw2gmv):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2074379

You can use ffmpeg and raw2gmv and gzip to convert videos to .gmv.gz using these commands:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2145443

You can read video streams from the internet with ffmpeg and pipe them directly to gmplay instead of through gzip to a video file. That works well on the K4 and K5, but on a K3 (especially for x264 video) you really need to use the .gmv.gz file instead (not fast enough). A K5 is fast enough to stream a 1080p x264 video to the eink display. A K4 only streams fast when booted from diags (booting from main uses K3-emulation eink drivers).

Enjoy!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #164
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
Woooohooo!it works!i managed it.thanks to geekmaster for providing us such a wonderful app and thanks to hawhill for pointing out my mistake.the only way i can thank you is by giving you some karma.please accept it
Check out the "clock" and "harvey" videos you can download where you got gmplay. And the "geekmaster video #1" shows that the videos really are full 600x800 (or 800x600) video. For such simple video compression (dither/bit-pack/gzip), the compression ratio is surprisingly good compared to the original video before transcoding.

Thanks for the karma.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-04-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #165
icantbebothered
Penguin
icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1
If you wrote a launcher extension with this shell script,would it work?

#!bin/bash

zcat gmvid.gmv.gz|./gmplay

#!bin/bash

Something tells me I got that script completely wrong, but you know what I mean.
icantbebothered is offline   Reply With Quote