Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Sharp Creates Solar Powered eReader

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Art...-dull-days.htm

This might be interesting to those of you who have complained about the short battery life of your eReader devices. Now you have all the battery you'll need, provided you occasionally get out of your house. I know there are some of you who never see sunlight!

I really wouldn't mind having something like this on a Nook or Kindle as backup. If this could operate purely on indoor lighting, that would be a bonus. But I can see this being adopted in the future, just like calculators took to solar cells before.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:41 AM   #2
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
what a cool idea! i'd leave the house occasionally in daylight if doing so would let me charge my reader
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
what a cool idea! i'd leave the house occasionally in daylight if doing so would let me charge my reader
it's a hot idea
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:06 AM   #4
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Would you absolutely have to leave? My solar powered calculator works indoors. Maybe double the number of solar cells?
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:50 AM   #5
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
You know if I could put the reader in the window for an hour or 2 and not have to charge it, would be way worth it.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Solar cells on the back of the device should be enough to power it up. In fact, it would be another way to make ebooks more consumer-friendly.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Personally, I have always thought putting solar cells on the front of the Kindle leather case would make sense. It could be "permanently" plugged in using the hinge to attach the Kindle 2 to the case. This way, a trickle charge could be applied to the Kindle while it was unused. And, given the Kindle already has a two week battery life, you'd rarely run the battery down.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
I wonder how heavy the reader would be with the solar cells. Any pictures of the reader?
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Since the screen needs an external light to be visible anyway this could make a lot of sense; the main technical goal would be to make the processor and memory consume low enough power that a standard reading light could power the device indefinitely without a "charge up" period (like those solar calculators). Exciting times. Wouldn't look for it in the store though.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
Haha...Sharp is therefore indirectly promoting exercise, tanning, and possibly increased Starbucks coffee sales.

Seriously though, having a solar unit on the device that can also "buffer" energy for future consumption while not in use would be amazing. This would ensure that you almost never run out of battery. You wouldn't even think twice about how many pages you have left before a charge anymore. Let's hope they take a serious look into this technology.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:41 PM   #11
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Or one could use a multi-purpose solar charger (at least for readers with a compatible plug)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SOLAR-BATTERY...item27b2ead895
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:01 AM   #12
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy_s View Post
Or one could use a multi-purpose solar charger (at least for readers with a compatible plug)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SOLAR-BATTERY...item27b2ead895

I like the idea of this. Can be used for a variety of things like ipod, mobile phone, etc also. It doesn't seem that expensive either. The additional ways of charging the charger gives additional flexibility when not in the sunlight.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I prefer the reflective TFT display over the e-ink. (Like the Ectaco Jetbook.)
Now if "they" could develop an LCD display that had a solar cell for the reflective
layer, that would be something.

This would work fine for my Ectaco Jetbook Lite, which runs on 4ea AA batteries:
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/sh...rsllit8gi3gna7

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; I should be able to find 7hrs of daylight before the ~30hrs of reading time a
charged set of NiMH AAs gives me, runs out.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-27-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
My calculator runs on a solar cell with nothing more needed than enough light to read the screen. So the "printing" of the text on the screen shouldn't be a problem.

But I wonder about the memory, such as remembering "last page read". Perhaps that would take a little more power than a typical calculator does.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #15
BenLee
eReader Junkie

Actually, on second thought...

I don't think the built in solar cell in an ereader is going to catch on. As Apple has proven, the sale of accessories is as big a business as the actual device. With no more cables that ever need to be "replaced", that's extra money that will not be made. Will any company be willing to make less on power-cable sales? Hmm