Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
konrad
konrad began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking For Lucidor 0.9.1

I am trying to find a Lucidor 0.9.1 epub reader. Seems Lucidor.org is down and I can't find another source. If anyone has it and/or can give me a link to this file I would appreciate it .Thank you very much
konrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Hi all,

I have tried accessing lucidor.org in the last two weeks, but it is always down.

I am looking for the source tarball (or at least the debian .deb package) of the latest version of lucidor, which should be 0.12.something.

If someone has it, could she or he PM me (or post a link to it), please?

Thank you!
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here you can find lucidor_0.9-1_all.deb :

http://www.handsomeplanet.com/archives/203
Old 02-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
Here you can find lucidor_0.9-1_all.deb :

http://www.handsomeplanet.com/archives/203

Thank you.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

You are welcome.

Note for other Debian users: the linked deb won't install on a newly installed Debian box due to a check on the xulrunner version installed on the system.

I will try to fix and re-package it soon.

AlPe
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Unfortunately, just changing the DEBIAN/control in the deb package file is not enough to have it run on a fresh Debian box.

I will investigate the issue, but I am sure that the current xulrunner-9.0 is "too new" to run that code.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Just encountered this by chance, in the process of solving the problem on my machine

Quote:
Unfortunately, just changing the DEBIAN/control in the deb package file is not enough to have it run on a fresh Debian box.

I will investigate the issue, but I am sure that the current xulrunner-9.0 is "too new" to run that code.
I got things working under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I grabbed the Xulrunner 1.9.2 deb archive as the base. This required satisfying a dependency for lubhunspell-1.20 >=1.2.11 (I had 1.30, and needed the earlier one too.) Once Xulrunner was installed, I could install the Lucidor deb package mentioned above.

There was theoretically a Lucidor 0.9.7 deb archive available on the Lucidor site, but the site is down and I haven't found a mirror with it. The 0.9.1 version seems to work.

There is also Lucifox, a Firefox extension that implements the Lucidor functionality, available at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ucifox/?src=ss

It's what I normally use, and prefer to EPUBReader, which is the other alternative. (See https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...reader/?src=ss ) EPUBReader insists on adding the ePub file to a catalog and keeping a local copy in the Firefox profile directory, neither of which I want.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Hi, yes, I have been using Lucifox for quite a while now.

Due to other businesses going on, I gave up trying to re-pack Lucidor, and simply switched to Lucifox, which is far less annoying than EPUBReader, as you mentioned. But thank you for the info anyway!
Old 07-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi, yes, I have been using Lucifox for quite a while now.
:-)

Quote:
Due to other businesses going on, I gave up trying to re-pack Lucidor, and simply switched to Lucifox, which is far less annoying than EPUBReader, as you mentioned. But thank you for the info anyway!
Another possibility I haven't tried yet is installing Lucidor under Mozilla Prism. Prism was essentially an effort to package Xulrunner in a manner that would let you create "webapps" runnable from the desktop. I got the 1.0b1 version working under Ubuntu, and use it to access TiddlyWiki, a personal wiki implemented as a single HTML file, and YouTube. There are quirks, like Prism deciding it's offline when you invoke it, even if it was online when you closed it. I haven't discovered where it keeps that status, but did find a work-around.

Meanwhile, I'm pleased you discovered Lucifox, but posted mostly for the benefit of anyone else who might encounter the issues. Since you hadn't responded after mentioning looking at repacking, I assumed you found other things to do.
______
Dennis
Old 07-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Honestly, I forgot about this thread. But thank you for revamping it, I have always been quite shocked --- talking with fellow pros and amateurs --- that they do not know Lucifox!
Old 07-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Honestly, I forgot about this thread. But thank you for revamping it, I have always been quite shocked --- talking with fellow pros and amateurs --- that they do not know Lucifox!
I'm not. Lucidor.org is a content free placeholder now, and I had to poke around to find a mirror for the version of Lucidor I have running under Ubuntu. (There was an 0.9.7 version I found for Windows, but I couldn't find a copy later than 0.9.1 for Linux.)

I exchanged email with the author a while back, and he was talking about moving into electronic publishing, with work on Lucidor suspended. (I have no idea how that worked out.)

Lucifox is a fairly old version, if the FF addon version corresponds to the version on Lucidor itself. Still, if seems to work well enough, and handles what I've thrown at it.

No one has been actively promoting Lucidor/Lucifox for quite some time, so the lack of knowledge is no surprise. Pity, since Lucifox is in many respects a better option for a Firefox resident ePub reader.

(I emailed the EPUBreader author about my dislikes, and got an "I understand your concerns, but I'm not going to address them." reply. His call.)

I'm just happy Lucifox is still available on the Mozilla addons site so I can point folks at it.
______
Dennis
Old 08-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Hi all,

just to mention that the source code of Lucidor 0.9.7 might be found here:

https://hotfile.com/dl/150181525/203....7.tar.gz.html

I plan to have a look at it in the next weeks, with the goal of "enhancing" it.

I will try to figure out what happened to the original developer "Ordbrand", checking if he is still working on it or not. (lucidor.org is always down)

Is anyone interered? Should I setup a Google Code project?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #13
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
just to mention that the source code of Lucidor 0.9.7 might be found here:

https://hotfile.com/dl/150181525/203....7.tar.gz.html
Thank you. Grabbed.

Quote:
I plan to have a look at it in the next weeks, with the goal of "enhancing" it.

I will try to figure out what happened to the original developer "Ordbrand", checking if he is still working on it or not. (lucidor.org is always down)
He still exists, but dropped development of Lucidor some time ago. These days, he's doing ebook publishing: http://ordbrand.se/

Quote:
Is anyone interered? Should I setup a Google Code project?
Interested, yes, though I can't guarantee participation.
______
Dennis
Old 08-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #14
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
It's a pity Lucidor has been stopped, because it was, for me, the best available reader. I will be very happy to see the project resume but I can't participate because of my thorough lack of knowledge...
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:51 AM   #15
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

I am (supposed to be) on vacation until 8/20, and then I have some business/personal duties until the end of August, so I plan to open a Google Code Project for Lucidor at the begininning of September. Meanwhile I will spend some time examining Lucidor code.

If anyone is willing to join the development staff of this "new Lucidor", please just reply here and/or PM me her or his email address.