Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
DismalEvans
DismalEvans began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking to Buy my First Reader in Canada.

Hello everyone!

Well, it seems everyone is giving me money this year for my birthday (Two days away, I turn 18.) So I'm pretty certain I'm going to go out and buy myself a reader. I already have quite a few e-books on my netbook that I haven't read because of the eye strain it causes.

I'm going to have around $300 to spend, give or take $50 and I'd like to order online. Is there any 3G e-readers that have a carrier in Canada? Next year I'm off to school in Nanaimo and I'd finally be able to experience the wonders of 3G.

Anyways, for preferences, screen size doesn't really matter to me, but I definitely want an e-paper display. MP3 playback while reading would be nice, I don't know if this is a standard feature or not. Size and weight are also not much of an issue, can always shove it in the netbook bag and I do most of my reading in bed anyways.

I'm new to this, so I'd really like some advice on which direction to go in, I really like the look of the Nook with the colour touch screen for navigation, but with the US only mentality it has been pretty much ruled out. And I've seen so many mixed views on the Kindle 2, I have no idea what to think about it anymore. I know nothing about these other companies except Sony, who I've had good experiences with in other products.

Err... Sorry for rambling, maybe I should have waited until the morning to post this.

Anyways, any help will be greatly appreciated.
DismalEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
eMadman
eMadman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle 2 is neat, but I skipped that because I didn't want the Amazon lock-in. That said, if you want 3G internet capability, it's probably your only option up here.

Sony's readers are excellent, and are probably the only option you'll have if you decide to buy locally. The PRS-300 is well priced, and I love the clean interface. The 600 has a finger-sensitive touch screen, but there is a bit of glare as a result of that.

You can check Newegg - they have the Ectaco ebook reader which I hear is decent, but I didn't like the physical interface (too many buttons)

The BeBook Neo looks excellent - 6-inch touch screen without any of the glare issues on the Sony PRS-600 I have. It also sports a wifi connection and a wacom touch interface which will only work with a stylus.

I had similar requirements and bought mine this week - between the options, I had my heart set on the Sony PRS-600 and the BeBook. I went with the Sony for the sole reason that I got an excellent price for it off Craigslist.

I can vouch for the Sony -it's a great reader, but the glare might be an issue for some people. I know it is for me and it sort of bugs me if I'm in a poorly lit room. People have mentioned that you get used to it. I guess I'll find that out in the next few weeks of use. Worst case, I can always sell it for the BeBook.

Last edited by eMadman; 02-03-2010 at 10:35 AM.
eMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, dismalevens.

The kindle has a 30 days no questions asked warranty. If you dont' care for it after playing with it, you can just return it, paying shipping only.

As for the "locked" in myth..........you might want to read the following link.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...Partial_Truths
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Fellow Canuck here.

From comments I read the nook is slow compared to some of the other newer readers out there.

My favorite right now has to be Onyx Boox (same as BeBook Neo but with a nice cover and charger included). It has wifi and supports a lot of formats and seems to have a newer epub version than Sony 600. I heard about a 30$ discount for MR members at Dulin's Books but don't know if it's still valid.

The downsides are you have to pay for shipping and it's a little taller than the Sony 600.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I have a Kindle. I bought it off Craigslist and hence did not pay shipping etc. I am in the GTA and whispernet works fine. I have yet to buy a single book from Amazon except a replacement for the dictionary since I preferred a French one, so being 'locked in' is not a problem. I buy from Fictionwise or Sony, liberate the files and convert them in Calibre.

I have a Sony 505 as well and loved it, but really wanted a reader with text to speech feature and non-English dictionary support.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
For me the International Kindle 2 was a nobrainer. Really nice device that works right out of the box. Great battery life. Small size. Easy to buy books from Amazon.

However be aware of the following:
* Lack of an sd-card slot.
* Not very suited for reading large PDF:s or large technical manuals.
* No cover for the device included
* No support for folders to organize your books
* Not all Kindle books available in the U.S is available internationally
* No ePub support

What made me go for Kindle:
I saw a lot of books that was easily available right off from Amazon and this was important for me. Amazon also has a goal to make every title they have available for Kindle. It's a nice goal but far from realized.

If you got time to wait, a couple of new devices will be coming out around march/april that might be worth looking into.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
LenzGr
Enthusiast
LenzGr began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
For me the International Kindle 2 was a nobrainer. Really nice device that works right out of the box. Great battery life. Small size.
All of the above would apply to the Onyx Boox (or the BeBook Neo), too

Quote:
Easy to buy books from Amazon.
Haven't tried that with the Boox built-in web-browser yet. But Adobe Digital Editions supports installing books with DRM protection on it.

Quote:
However be aware of the following:
* Lack of an sd-card slot.
* Not very suited for reading large PDF:s or large technical manuals.
* No cover for the device included
* No support for folders to organize your books
* Not all Kindle books available in the U.S is available internationally
* No ePub support
All of the above (except for the Kindle books) are available/supported on the Boox. The PDF reading capabilities are great. It also supports ePub, CHM, HTML, TXT and some other formats...

Quote:
If you got time to wait, a couple of new devices will be coming out around march/april that might be worth looking into.
That's a common problem - regardless when you do your purchase, something new will come out any time...
LenzGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenzGr View Post
Haven't tried that with the Boox built-in web-browser yet. But Adobe Digital Editions supports installing books with DRM protection on it.
The Onyx looks like a great reader, really thought through with a lot of format support. However it will not support Kindle books.

I still think the main reason for buying one of Amazons readers is because of the big selection of books and the fact you know they're not going away. They will be there in years to come improving the devices and work to get more titles on board. After all there main business is about selling books.

Just out of curiosity, is it easy/comfortable making page turns with the Onyx? I see that it doesn't come with any buttons on the side only a scroll wheel down at the bottom.

Found this youtube-video of the Onyx device for anyone intersted:
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
Quote:
The Onyx looks like a great reader, really thought through with a lot of format support. However it will not support Kindle books.

I still think the main reason for buying one of Amazons readers is because of the big selection of books and the fact you know they're not going away. They will be there in years to come improving the devices and work to get more titles on board. After all there main business is about selling books.

Just out of curiosity, is it easy/comfortable making page turns with the Onyx? I see that it doesn't come with any buttons on the side only a scroll wheel down at the bottom.

Found this youtube-video of the Onyx device for anyone intersted:
The Onyx Boox will be providing eBook store(s) soon.
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
LenzGr
Enthusiast
LenzGr began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Quote:

Sure, but the Kindle ties you to a single vendor. With the Boox, I can purchase and install eBooks from any vendor (incl. Amazon). And I don't risk that Amazon goes ahead and deletes stuff from my reader, which they could with the Kindle. It's a matter of privace and control, I guess.

The EFF's E-Book Buyer's Guide to Privacy is an interesting read in that regard.

Quote:
The ring on the button is actually not a wheel, but two rings with four-way buttons. The outer ones (left+right) can be used to turn pages, the inner ring buttons (up+down) allow you too increase the font size. Alternatively, you can turn pages by swiping the stylus across the screen.
LenzGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenzGr View Post
Sure, but the Kindle ties you to a single vendor.
No it doesn't; that's a complete fallacy.

The Kindle will read DRM-free Mobipocket books, which can be obtained from many sources (eg Baen, for example).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote