Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #16
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Anybody ready to buy at $299 or is the Kindle 2 still overpriced?
I can only speak for myself but to me anything over $200 makes me balk a little. Maybe I'm just too cheap.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #17
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yep... they discontinued it in September:

http://www.retailerdaily.com/entry/6...ce-protection/

That said, you still have the 30 day return policy for a Kindle. So, just tell them if they don't give you the lesser price that you will just return it and order another one at the $299 price. You'll have to pay for return shipping but it is worth it for $60.

BOb
I understand the frustation, but what if Kindle 2 got more expensive? Would existing customers pay Amazon the diference?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2009, 04:23 PM   #18
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
I can only speak for myself but to me anything over $200 makes me balk a little. Maybe I'm just too cheap.
Geez, how did you buy a house?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #19
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Geez, how did you buy a house?
I probably should have clarified that I was speaking in terms of small electronics. Houses are an entirely different category of thing.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #20
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Anybody ready to buy at $299 or is the Kindle 2 still overpriced?
The price looks really good now when coupled with the Kindle store. The Astek EZReader is $259 at Fry's as is the Sony PRS-505. JetBook (5-inch screen) is $199, but supports no DRMed formats, so the book selection is limited.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #21
trooper94
Loves to read.
trooper94 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I like the price drop. I have been thinking of getting a K2 for my mother as she enjoys reading but is having more and more trouble with smaller type. My siblings and I can go in for this for her and she would love it.

-Simon
------------------
I'm mooning you now, you just can't see me.
trooper94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #22
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
It's not a matter of "too cheap;" it's a lot of money to devote to a single-purpose device. I read ebooks on a second-hand PDA for two years before I decided that I really would get that much use out of an ebook reader. And I researched the options first, because it'd be rough to get one, decide it was okay, but I'd really rather have another one that cost $40 more, but I can't possibly afford two of them.

E-ink devices occasionally get as low as $200 (and the Astak mini should be out soon at that price), but most of them are going to cost more than that. I don't think they'll get to the $150 range unless the DRM market collapses... at which point, they'll actually become convenient & useful to college students, and get enough sales to bring down the per-unit cost.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #23
kmvargo
kmvargo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Amazon should have thought of this sooner. I was still siding with the SOny 700 but the pulled me to the Dar Side when the went $200 for the 505. I wasn't happy about their weird conversion process for some PDFs and the wireless but I am happy with the Sony.
I think you will see more $200 or less readers come out soon and their price will have to drop again. I see Sony following suit soon when they introduce their new reader.
kmvargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #24
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
As for the "auto" page turning, I use it quite often when I am feeling lazy. I put the TTS mode into the fastest speed and then the volume all the way down. I find that I read it a little faster than the page turn so there is a slight delay waiting for it to turn. It's nice to bedtime reading so that i am not constantly "clicking" the buttom while my hubby is going to sleep. The button click sound is not real noticeable but when we are all in bed, it's quiet time!
Nice that the K2 is lower in price now. I think sales are down so they are trying to generate some income! I wonder of the K3 has taken some of the wind out of their sails?
I am downloading some free audio books from LibriVox for our vacation next week. We have hours and hours of driving so audio books are going to be nice. I have a audio jack to tape connection so I can play them from my car's stereo speakers and my cell phone charger also fits the charger port of the K2 so it stays charged no matter how long we are on the road!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #25
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
I am downloading some free audio books from LibriVox for our vacation next week. We have hours and hours of driving so audio books are going to be nice. I have a audio jack to tape connection so I can play them from my car's stereo speakers and my cell phone charger also fits the charger port of the K2 so it stays charged no matter how long we are on the road!
I haven't tried to read any audio books with my K1 because every book I have is multiple MP3 files -- and the Kindle plays MP3 files in a random/shuffle order. I don't think I'd enjoy a book if I heard the chapters in non-sequential order!

I have a tiny MP3 player that supports "Playlists" and use a mini-jack to mini-jack cable to connect the player to my car's stereo system. The new car even has a USB connection and will play sequentially through the files in a folder. I put my audio books onto a 8G thumb drive (along with lots of music) and plug it into the car; another way to have audio books in the car.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #26
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I haven't tried to read any audio books with my K1 because every book I have is multiple MP3 files -- and the Kindle plays MP3 files in a random/shuffle order. I don't think I'd enjoy a book if I heard the chapters in non-sequential order!
If you place those MP3s in the "Audible" folder they will play in sequence, provided the files are named in sequential order.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #27
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Astak Text-To-Speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
Part of me was waffling on this for a gift for my father. On one hand, I'd like to make it easier for my father to get the books he wants for it and the Kindle seems to be good for that, both with selection and ease to find books. On the other hand, It was hard to justify the $100 premium for it for that reason.

This price drop puts things into the same ballpark. I still don't know if it is something I will get him. (he wants a reader that scrolls text automatically without him turning pages)
Dear Longshot:

Astak's new Pocket PRO comes with the Epson controller, 400MHz processor, 8 levels of grey scale, Adobe Digital Editions, supports 14 formats and 22 languages, comes with everything including a leather case, can be carried easily in a pants or jacket pocket, E-Ink, has left and right hand page change, has a scroll wheel, and comes in six colors for about $200. It also has automatic advance on the Text-To-Speech and plays MP3. There is NOTHING like this near as fast and inexpensive!

Last edited by Robertb; 07-08-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #28
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmvargo View Post
Amazon should have thought of this sooner. I was still siding with the SOny 700 but the pulled me to the Dar Side when the went $200 for the 505. I wasn't happy about their weird conversion process for some PDFs and the wireless but I am happy with the Sony.
I think you will see more $200 or less readers come out soon and their price will have to drop again. I see Sony following suit soon when they introduce their new reader.
I wonder it this is Amazon responding to:
a. the upcoming release of a Sony product (PRS-700 being discontinued)
b. pressure from the release of a dozen other ereaders circa $200
c. the extended unavailability of the KDX

Last edited by pking36330; 07-09-2009 at 12:16 PM.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #29
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
More likely is that something in the supply chain fell in price, enough that they can whack $60 off the price tag and still turn a profit.

Keep in mind that Amazon does not sell the Kindle at a loss, they intend to make a profit off of both the Reader and the e-books.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #30
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Isn't that the Amazon "kindling" in the OP photo?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote