Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Any fans of Barry N. Malzberg?

I'm a huge, huge fan of Barry N. Malzberg, and can heartily recommend Beyond Apollo and a number of other titles from this powerful writer.

If you want a funny take on the Science Fiction scene, read Gather in the Hall of the Planets, or Herovit's World.

Back in the late 60s and and all of the 70s, Malzberg wrote some of the most penetrating science fiction you'll ever read. If you like character-driven sci-fi and anti-heroes with neuroses and psychoses, then I HIGHLY recommend him.

I have almost all of his books, but of course they're in the U.S. in storage. I consider myself a Malzberg Completist, but have only about 2/3 of his complete writings. I also would like to acquire his Lone Wolf series of books that he wrote under a different name.

Any other fans of Malzberg's writing here at MobileRead?

I would like to see every single one of his books made available as ebooks. I frequently re-read his work. Give him a try, but know that he is not to everyone's liking. However, if you have a bent and twisted way of looking at the world (as I do), then you might really love his work.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Between Heaven and Hell

The 45th anniversary of JFK's assassination is Saturday. Did you know that C.S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley also died on Nov. 22, 1963? A number of years ago, Peter Kreeft imagined what kind of dialogue these three men might have in the afterlife. The result was Between Heaven and Hell, a very C.S. Lewis-ish take on life, the universe, and everything. The book was recently reissued, you can hear an interview with the author here:

http://radio.nationalreview.com/betw...FjNzQ4N2IxNWQ=
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2008, 06:56 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
The 45th anniversary of JFK's assassination is Saturday. Did you know that C.S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley also died on Nov. 22, 1963? A number of years ago, Peter Kreeft imagined what kind of dialogue these three men might have in the afterlife. The result was Between Heaven and Hell, a very C.S. Lewis-ish take on life, the universe, and everything. The book was recently reissued, you can hear an interview with the author here:

http://radio.nationalreview.com/betw...FjNzQ4N2IxNWQ=
JFK's assignation date and day, yes, that I knew.

However, I did not know that these two writers also died on the same date.

Also, thanks for the link. I'll check that out. Much appreciated.

Don
Old 11-20-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I see that I posted this in the wrong thread, I planned on its own separate thread under Reading Recommendations. But I guess it does not matter that much.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:22 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I see that I posted this in the wrong thread, I planned on its own separate thread under Reading Recommendations. But I guess it does not matter that much.
Actually, I thought you posted in the correct thread, due to Malzberg's ongoing fictional concern in his work dealing with the JFK assassination.

At one time, this was also an interest I shared along with Malzberg's interest.

I had the complete House Select Committee on the JFK Assassinations, (I may have the title slightly wrong) that came out about 1978, which determined that there was indeed more than one person involved. (By definition, a conspiracy involves more than one individual; also - and not surprisingly - the report did not exonerate Oswald.) This was in perhaps 12-14 separate volumes published by the GPO.

I also had an extensive library of over 30 JFK assassination books, most of them hardback editions.

Don
Advert