Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
replacing foreign characters

1. a future request - instead of having to load up my "special characters.epub" & search that for a 4 digit alt code , it would be great to hit a help key in Sigil and get a list of characters + codes that can be used

2. specifically - I am currently reading a novel with a lot of japanese words & it uses 2 characters that are OK in Sigil but not in ADE,( they show as ?) & not on my specials list

they are lower case o and lower case u but with a horizontal line above the letter.

does anyone know if it possible to get those to appear in ADE/ Sony reader via cunning re-coding ?
my specials list has various choices for things that appear over an o or a u btu none is them is a horizontal line
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Not with re-coding, you need a font that has those characters, either embedded or selected in the reader if it supports that.

That is, unless you want to "fake" the characters by using a <span> with border-top or something like that...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 04:50 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Not with re-coding, you need a font that has those characters, either embedded or selected in the reader if it supports that.

That is, unless you want to "fake" the characters by using a <span> with border-top or something like that...
i thought that might be the case. I can live with plain O & U substitutes.

I don't know enough about Japanese to even know if the horizontal top is correct usage.- though if I google Iaido ( one of the problem words) & read the Wikipedia entry , I do see those top lines
Iaidō ( though in the later text it is just Iaido )

here's a whole bunch of overscored o & u examples which look fine in my google chrome on PC, but would choke ADE:

Maegiri Musō Jikiden Eishin-ryū
Zengogiri Mugai-ryū
Kiriage Shindō Munen-ryū
Shihôgiri Suiō-ryū
Kissakigaeshi Hōki-ryū
Old 10-19-2012, 05:13 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
here's a whole bunch of overscored o & u examples which look fine in my google chrome on PC, but would choke ADE:
The default ADE fonts don't support the Latin Extended-A block, which contains the characters used for Romaji transliteration.

You'll have to embed a font that contains this Unicode range. I posted a simple .epub template in this post. You can easily modify it by adding a different font to the Fonts folder and modifying the stylesheet so that it points to your font.

BTW, if you often have to write Romaji characters, you could easily create your own custom keyboard layout with the free MS Keyboard Layout Creator.

IMHO, it's rather strange that Adobe, who could have licensed any number of their fonts, picked default fonts with such a poor Unicode coverage.

Last edited by Doitsu; 10-19-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
You could the Kunrei-shiki romanization system for Japanese, which among other things uses ô and û instead of ō and ū (check the Wikipedia article).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
You could the Kunrei-shiki romanization system for Japanese, which among other things uses ô and û instead of ō and ū (check the Wikipedia article).
that is good to know as those alternatives are in the special characters epub that I refer to: , so I can use alt codes to insert them into the find / replace box

0244: ô
0245: õ 0246: ö 0247: ÷
0248: ø 0249: ù 0250: ú
0251: û
Old 10-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@cybmole - did you know that all those characters are available in the "Insert Special Character" dialog (in 0.5.90x onwards) on the Insert menu (which can be kept open), and that you can insert from that dialog directly into the Find or Replace fields (as well as Book View and Code View)?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

wow - I didn't know about that!

there's probably lots more new stuff I still don't know - looking forward to reading all the documentation once it's done, to see what else I'm missing!