Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #31
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Space Angel.
Adam Strange.
Brick Bradford.
Rip Hunter.
Space Ghost.
The Herculoids.
Johnny Quest.
Doc Savage.
Perry Rhodan.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #32
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Space Ghost.
The Herculoids.
Johnny Quest.
Doc Savage.
Perry Rhodan.
Not Perry Rhodan.
The numbers on the covers scared me. I figured the series was too far gone to catch up.
Hanna Barbera did some fun adventure shows back in the day.

On the other hand, when it comes to pulps, I was around for the early Mack Bolan. (Passed on the Destroyer, though the movie was fun.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #33
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Not Perry Rhodan.
The numbers on the covers scared me. I figured the series was too far gone to catch up.
Hanna Barbera did some fun adventure shows back in the day.

On the other hand, when it comes to pulps, I was around for the early Mack Bolan. (Passed on the Destroyer, though the movie was fun.)
Good choice to skip it, especially if you're at all politically Left or Center. First 50 or so books were great, but once the ghost writers came in after Richard Sapir's death, it just got worse and worse politically - to the point where it seems almost like the second-last ghost writer, Jim Mullaney, was outright worshipping Bush in one of his final books, and anything even vaguely Left was a target for his hate. Tim Somheil, the final ghost writer, was far more balanced politically - but Warren Murphy, who created The Destroyer with Richard Sapir, didn't like it. He took back the license from Gold Eagle [a Harlequin imprint, aren't they?] and managed to go two volumes on his reboot before it disappeared completely since, unlike Gold Eagle books, bookstores weren't carrying it (but are still carrying Mack Bolan, The Executioner, Stony Man, Deathlands and Outlanders).

Last edited by JD Gumby; 07-31-2012 at 07:58 AM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #34
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Science has caught up with the Fiction , That leaves only Magik
Alchemy was half chemistry half crappy rituals.
Magic is half psi half crappy rituals.
Quantum physics is on its way to prove that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Romance IS the genre.
Nah, romance is a subyet of contemporary fantasy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
My guess is it has something to do with a return to childhod, a revisiting of the fairy tales we grew up.
I'm an exception then. Read contemporary historical and travel adventure YA and classics as a kid.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:51 PM   #35
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Agreed: SF has always been the chihuahua of literature, which occasionally grows to the size of a Jack Russell before shrinking back to chihuahua size (which is where we are right now).

It's possible, though, that the shakeup being caused by tightening budgets and the impact the Internet is having on access and marketing may change the dynamic enough to allow SF to grow more than it ever has before. If SF figures out how to crack the marketing code, we may see it grow to... oh, maybe terrier-size in the future.
Which time period do you think about? Locus statistics does not seem to support this. E.g:
Quote:
From the 1980s until 2000, by the Locus figures, the numbers of new fantasy and SF titles were about the same. Then the number of fantasy titles published began to steadily increase, while the SF titles stayed the same. I suspect the success of the Harry Potter and similar series are partly responsible for this.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 04:42 AM   #36
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I started as a young child on classic adventures - Twain, Stevenson, Verne. These were abridged versions for younger readers. Then I moved heavily into fantasy territory and enjoyed my stay there immensely during the teenage/early adult years.

However, although I still have an active interest in fantasy, it's much more specific than it used to be and several pretty well known authors won't even get a blink from me. At the same time, I've developed a stronger interest in Sci-Fi in general. In fact, I think what happened was that I started getting tired of the more "traditional" or "epic" fantasy trilogies and started casting around for something new. I found Steampunk and New Weird and started experimenting with Sci-Fi starting with Cyberpunk and spreading out into Space Opera.

Now I enjoy Dystopian, Post-Apocalyptic, Steampunk, Cyberpunk, Sci-Fi in general and more...

I too feel that Fantasy and Horror have become diluted somewhat by Paranormal Romance, but them's the breaks I guess. It just means I have to search a bit harder to find what I want. Others complain about the rise of Dystopian fiction, but I love me some grim. Swings and roundabouts.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #37
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I started as a young child on classic adventures - Twain, Stevenson, Verne.
So did I. Twain not so much, though; but Verne, oh yes. And the Tom Swift books. Somewhat later John Christopher (the 'Tripods'-trilogy) and Doc Savage.

Ah, to be that young again
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #38
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I believe I'd been mainly a fantasy reader for many years before I started my current task of reading all the Hugo winners, which got me back into SF a bit more, but I'm having real trouble remembering what it was that I was actually reading. I guess I must have started and abandoned a lot of bad trilogies.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #39
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not Perry Rhodan.
I always did feel like I was missing a lot with that series... especially since I never caught consecutive books at my local bookstores. After awhile, I stopped seeing them on the shelves, and stopped looking.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #40
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I was historically a sci-fi fan - but I haven't been into it much in years.

Classically I'm mostly a fan of Asimov with a little Arthur C Clarke and Heinlein scattered in...without Asimov I haven't been big on the genre lately.

Clarke's co-written books haven't been as good as his older stuff to me.

Minus Orson Scott Card (and I hate to give him money) I don't think there's even a modern sci-fi writer I keep an eye out for books from.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #41
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I don't think there's even a modern sci-fi writer I keep an eye out for books from.
Have you sampled James P. Hogan?
Forward?
Cherryh?
Or, Bujold?
Niven+Pournelle?

The Asimovian school is still going strong.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #42
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Forward?
Cherryh?
Or, Bujold?
Niven+Pournelle?

Avoid anything by James P. Hogan that isn't "Inherit the Stars", "The Gentle Giants of Ganymede", and "Giants' Star". Turns out that he wasn't all that great after that.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 08-02-2012 at 09:04 PM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #43
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
My guess is it has something to do with a return to childhood, a revisiting of the fairy tales we grew up.
You may be right about that.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #44
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just hate that I have to go to four separate sections to find all the Terry Pratchett at my library. There's one in PBSF, one in Fantasy, some in Fiction and some in the Children's section. Good grief, it's all Discworld. In my library everything would be Fiction by author or Non-Fiction by author. Don't get me started that alphabetically some sections are left to right and in other's it is right to left. It's a wonder I can find anything in the library some days.

Overall there's good stuff and crap in every splinter genre we want to come up with.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #45
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Forward?
Cherryh?
Or, Bujold?
Niven+Pournelle?

I'll try a couple, thanks for the recommendations. I've got a Cherryh book on my wish list (don't think I've read any in a decade or so), I'm familiar with Larry Niven (can't remember if I've read any of his or not). I'll check out the others.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote