Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #166
KindleTatsch
KindleTatsch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Bhaak, Varnie - is anyone of you working on getting the dictionary usable?

----btw. great work so far - thanks a lot you two!----
KindleTatsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #167
Ashmorgof
Nameless Being

Quote:
What doesn't work:

still a lot that needs keyboard input
no automatic screen refresh for removing e-ink artifacts
Hi guys

Little question, there is always bugs in Varnie package or we havent these issues anymore ?

Thanks !
Advert
Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #168
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleTatsch View Post
Bhaak, Varnie - is anyone of you working on getting the dictionary usable?

----btw. great work so far - thanks a lot you two!----
I am currently not and AFAIK varnie isn't either.

I fall back to the Kindle dictionary when I need one but that is of course not as convenient as having dictionary support builtin.
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #169
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashmorgof View Post
Little question, there is always bugs in Varnie package or we havent these issues anymore ?
My previously released version didn't have all the fixes that varnie coded up in the meantime. So it was still true for that one.

But the new 0.2.0 version which has all of varnie's changes, this is of course no longer an true.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #170
bhaak
Groupie

Lightbulb New release 0.2.0!

New release 0.2.0!

https://github.com/bhaak/HackedUpReader/downloads
  • Customizable page turning areas: press Top-Bottom, Left-Right, Right-Left, or Bottom-Top for "previous page"-"next page".
  • Changed bookmarks dialog behaviour. Short press on existing bookmark will open this bookmark. Short press on non-existing bookmark or long press on existing bookmark will set it. No accidental overwriting of bookmarks anymore.
  • Moved HackedUpReader into /mnt/us/hackedupreader. A less cryptic name so you might even remember what this directory is there for.
  • HackedUpReader version in the About dialog.
  • Updated with varnie's changes since my last release (working Goto dialog, arrows in bottom area, page refresh updates, etc. ...).

My GUI launcher extension has also some updates:
  • File names are sorted case insensitive.
  • Directories with no books underneath are not shown.
  • Support for the new location of the 0.2.0 binary. Falls back to the old location if not found.
https://github.com/bhaak/HackedUpRea...sion/downloads
Advert
Old 07-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #171
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

In the new version, in the settings, every option that is changed counts as a page turn therefore refreshing the page more than necessary.
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #172
bhaak
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftail View Post
In the new version, in the settings, every option that is changed counts as a page turn therefore refreshing the page more than necessary.
Yes, that's true. If you have the page refreshing set to less often than every page, it is much less noticeable. But that doesn't help if you start the program for the first time.

But I already have some idea on how to workaround that problem.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #173
flashmozzg
Enthusiast
flashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaak View Post
Yes, that's true. If you have the page refreshing set to less often than every page, it is much less noticeable. But that doesn't help if you start the program for the first time.

But I already have some idea on how to workaround that problem.
Is there a way to set default books directory? Because i have a lot of books in a lot of folders, and my kindle touch behaves a little laggy at first. For example I have to wait ~10 seconds before GUI launcher menu appears (normal menus working as usual). Maybe it's new launcher bug idk.
flashmozzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:08 AM   #174
bhaak
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashmozzg View Post
Is there a way to set default books directory? Because i have a lot of books in a lot of folders, and my kindle touch behaves a little laggy at first. For example I have to wait ~10 seconds before GUI launcher menu appears (normal menus working as usual). Maybe it's new launcher bug idk.
It's quite possible that my launcher extension is slow with a large amount of books. But I'm also sure there's potential for optimization.

How many books do you have?
Old 07-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #175
flashmozzg
Enthusiast
flashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
It's quite possible that my launcher extension is slow with a large amount of books. But I'm also sure there's potential for optimization.

How many books do you have?
6795 (Don't ask me why so many) What does it do with books? I have "Open last book" and "My clippings.txt) option only anyway. (another launcher on older version was ok)
Old 07-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #176
bhaak
Groupie

Quote:
6795 (Don't ask me why so many) What does it do with books?
It has to read their filenames.

I profiled my launcher extension today, it takes about 20 seconds to read a directory structure with 1400 sub directories and 12700 files.

Quote:
I have "Open last book" and "My clippings.txt) option only anyway. (another launcher on older version was ok)
You only see those 2 entries? But in HackedUpReader you see all your books? looking into the source Ah, you're having only fb2.zip files? They are currently ignored, i'll add them.

Did you use varnie's launcher extension before? This one doesn't read all the books that's why it's faster.

I'll try to speed it up and report back sometime today.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #177
flashmozzg
Enthusiast

Quote:
It has to read their filenames.

I profiled my launcher extension today, it takes about 20 seconds to read a directory structure with 1400 sub directories and 12700 files.

You only see those 2 entries? But in HackedUpReader you see all your books? looking into the source Ah, you're having only fb2.zip files? They are currently ignored, i'll add them.

Did you use varnie's launcher extension before? This one doesn't read all the books that's why it's faster.

I'll try to speed it up and report back sometime today.
Yep, varnie's launcher and fb2.zip
Old 07-28-2012, 01:09 AM   #178
dlcmdrx
dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch
Ive been trying to enable landscape mode in teh web browser of the touch with no luck. Will this be able to give me a landscape usability for web browsing html?
dlcmdrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:39 AM   #179
bhaak
Groupie

I didn't succeed in making it faster. The profiling I did suggests that the "disk" in the KT is just not fast enough.

For the time being you can delete the extensions/hackedupreader directory.

You still have varnie's launcher and if you edit extensions/hackedupreader/config.xml as I said in the 0.2.0 release post it will start the new version of HackedUpReader as well.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #180
flashmozzg
Enthusiast

Quote:
I didn't succeed in making it faster. The profiling I did suggests that the "disk" in the KT is just not fast enough.

For the time being you can delete the extensions/hackedupreader directory.

You still have varnie's launcher and if you edit extensions/hackedupreader/config.xml as I said in the 0.2.0 release post it will start the new version of HackedUpReader as well.
Ok. Will use varnie's then.

Tags
epub, launcher add-ons