Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by spideog View Post
What kind of publishing restrictions are there between the UK and Ireland that they have reason to be doing that to me?
This isn't a gvmt thing, it is a contract between publisher and author thing. Authors get more money overall by having a US and a UK publisher. They would get the most money of all if they could get individual contracts with every single country with an English speaking market. Sometimes the UK and US publisher's rights cover the globe between them and sometimes not. I don't know which publisher of the two would typically get the rights for Ireland, but it looks like in this case either the US publisher got the rights or neither did.

What governments could do to fix this overnight is to say that the ebook needs to be licensed in the country selling the ebook only. This is the way physical book sales work. I don't see this as likely to happen, but it is the only "simple" solution to the ebook rights mess.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #17
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
There is pretty much zero market for any Ireland specific publisher, any books published here are by UK publishers.

I suspect it is just poor programming by whoever setup the website and as far as publishing rights are concerned I'd be very surprised if there was a separate deal for Ireland and the UK as it is basically the one market for all products.

I do have a way round this, using alternative addresses and cards that I happen to have, but seems that the site is not actually completing any payments at the moment for me once I do manage to get to that stage.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #18
SusanJ
Enthusiast
SusanJ has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle for PC
I'm glad someone posted the link - I just found the email in my spam folder! I had a look and it seems to be working OK now. Some of the books do have "Available everywhere" beside them. Not that many, though...
SusanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #19
K8Ereader
Connoisseur
K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Bum, I just ordered, last week! They had a sale but not 50% off everything!
K8Ereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #20
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Has anyone been able to check out? I get an error every time...
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #21
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Has anyone been able to check out? I get an error every time...
Nope, error every time for me. Usually this one, but sometime just get a database srror message:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHSmith
We’re sorry, but we are unable to complete your transaction at this time.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #22
camino real
Enthusiast
camino real is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
I'm getting system errors and non-loading pages. Looks like WHSmith isn't going to get any of my money.
camino real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #23
spideog
Connoisseur

It now says that the website is down for maintenance.

I think I've now jumped through enough hoops to try my best to give them my money, next step will be to use much quicker and simpler means to get the books I'm after.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #24
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I managed to check out and pay for a few books at 5pm but I am unable to check out now with some further books so I'm going to wait until later this evening, if not tomorrow.

Looks like they underestimated the extra custom they would get.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #25
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I managed to buy books at about 5:15pm, but no luck since then.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #26
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Who would have thought so many people would jump at the chance of half price (=at last reasonably priced) ebooks, that they would crash the website
I hope this little adventure sends the right signals about what the readers expect in terms of ebook prices. The only reason they will not triple their monthly sales in one day is that their website is down
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #27
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Seems ok for browsing at the moment.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #28
justlizz
Connoisseur
justlizz began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
They did the same offer last year and I have been saving and waiting to see if it came up again I have just finished reading the lot I bought then, so I will try in the early hours to check them out and buy if I can
lizz
justlizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #29
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
The same than between france and UK.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #30
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
That can happen as you get older

I just managed to check out. Two Reginald Hill books - haven't read him in ages - but they wouldn't sell me the third I wanted. Saved me some money, then
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote