Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #46
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
That's interesting, maliciousloki, but a little too tedious for me to do personally much as I dislike the "personal" banner. I do have my book covers showing properly by checking Enable sharing of book content in calibre, but I wish there was a simpler/faster way to get rid of the personal banner.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 10-07-2012 at 08:04 PM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #47
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@maliciousloki: There's a FAQ entry for this, but, basically, there's far less tedious workaround:

Enable the 'Enable sharing of book content...' in mobi/azw8 output settings.
This is what I did to show covers properly, but yes it still shows the "personal banner. Bit annoying as I'd like to be rid of the banner altogether, but ah well.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #48
boh_1
boh_1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
@maliciousloki: this worked for me as well.

I'm not sure I want to go to all of this effort again, nor am I sure I like the "simpler" enable sharing option with it's tradeoffs either. I may just wait this out to see what happens in future revs of Calibre.
boh_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #49
maliciousloki
Member Retired
maliciousloki is on a distinguished road

Device: KPW, KKBx2, K4NT
Never mind, use the plugin below.

Last edited by maliciousloki; 10-08-2012 at 02:14 PM.
maliciousloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #50
maliciousloki
Member Retired

UPDATE: Thanks to NiLuJe for making me re-visit one step in my process. So I just took a file that was converted, and all I did was use the MobiMetaEdit program to change its ASIN to the Amazon number, and turned off Airplane Mode, and the Kindle downloaded the art for me! The steps just got a lot easier! Thanks!

So:
-All you need do is change the ASIN parameter in the file.
-You do not need to load the thumbnail or format the filename of the book itself to include the ASIN.
-You still likely need to clear old metadata if you sideloaded books before this ASIN change. I think this is what was stopping my Kindle from downloading information when I tried this before.
-The number you put in the ASIN field, as far as I can tell, must begin with a B. You cannot use an ISBN-10 or ISBN-13. I tried on one book, at least. So what that means is if you have a book that is not on Kindle yet (one book I have is an old Xanth novel that was scanned in that's not available in Kindle format yet, so it doesn't have an ASIN yet), you have to manually load the thumbnails, yourself.

In any case, thanks again for the clarification! Makes the Calibre modification easier, I would think!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:43 AM   #51
TheRamin
The Village e-Diot
TheRamin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Wow, maliciousloki - great find! All I had to do was really ensure that ASIN was a B-number and it went to "Books" and got rid of that "Personal" banner.

For the books not on Amazon, I used a generic B00000000# or B0BBBBBBB# ASIN and just made sure the thumbnail matched that ASIN to show up correctly.

Seriously hoping future Calibre updates are able to, as you mention, automate this process!
TheRamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #52
setite
Enthusiast
setite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
When editing a book individually, in Calibre, there is a second tab for custom data. It just has ASIN and location. I spent a bit of time searching Amazon and putting the right ASIN in all of my books, 297 to be exact. Is there a script that will move that ASIN from that part of calibre and put it in EXTH 113, replacing the UUID? I would rather not use fake generated ASIN or the UUID one since that is breaking the covers.

I know the world doesn't revolve around the Kindle, but there must be an easier way to do this.
setite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #53
maliciousloki
Member Retired

Bad news, all. Just heard back on my bug request from Kovid. He says that because there's an option already in Calibre ("Enable sharing...") that "works," he has classified the bug as invalid and junked it. So basically Calibre isn't the solution. I'm really disappointed in him; this tool is so fantastic, and now just a simple little thing is evidently too much work. I honestly got the impression that he didn't even look at this thread and gave me a stock, scripted reply... otherwise he should have seen that his option does NOT produce the same output, it produces a WRONG output... my hope is that he reads this thread at some point and realizes it wasn't a vain request.

UNGH. Okay, so since he's unwilling/unable/whatever to do this tiny change for us, who out there wants to try and figure out how to code this? I'm considering writing some kind of Python script to accomplish what he's refusing to do.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #54
maliciousloki
Member Retired

Sorry. Another bad news update. So, in attempting to re-file the bug under a different way, I found this link: https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/894137

So, evidently, Kovid and team have had this issue reported to them in the past. And they actively dismissed it in a condescending manner, saying "Search Google, it's been reported 300 times." They don't adequately explain WHY (if you try to see why, they say "Amazon doesn't like sideloaded content." - which means... what... exactly?). There's no explanation about the ramifications in doing that, just a vague "Amazon doesn't want sideloaded content using their services".

For instance, does Amazon's software see the ASIN set properly but without their exact DRM, and think we're stealing or something? Or is it that Whispersync breaks somehow if two ASIN match but are actually slightly different files (honestly, DON'T CARE on that one, I only read on one device at a time and WS is OFF).

So basically, I feel cheated. I contributed $ some time ago to Calibre and now he/they are not only too lazy to code this, there is no adequate explanation why this is bad, even in the face of a real, clear bug.

Even the calibre manual at http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/...t-14.html#id29 doesn't get into it. It says it won't sync to Amazon and to go complain to them about it. Well, how about this - change that option so that instead of a blank field, it puts the correct, valid, in-spec ASIN in there as it should be? If it still won't sync, who cares? The flavor text for that option already says that!

I'm going to go look again on Google, seems to me some time ago there was a post somewhere where someone figured out how to alter Calibre's output script to use the amazon: tag instead of the uid field. Not the best solution (because the script likely gets overwritten every time Calibre is upgraded), but it might work. I'll report back if it does.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #55
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@malicousloki: You really need to learn to use google. Oh and do send me your PayPal details, I will be delighted to refund your donation.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #56
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbharman45 View Post
I then applied Collections.
Can you expand a little on what exactly you did to "apply Collections"?

93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #57
maliciousloki
Member Retired

Kovid: You really learn to learn civility. And I do know how to use Google. I searched on all kinds of variations of "Enable sharing" and "asin" and "calibre" - evidently, I missed your magical page that you insist explains everything. I've looked all over and all I see is that it causes sync issues with Amazon. Which I don't care about.

Here's one of your many, thoroughly un-illuminating replies:
http://oldbugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/9290

"Bad Things Will Happen?" Define, please. I've searched on Google and I've searched in the Bug database, and evidently I am completely missing something because I'm not seeing why it's bad, other than the non-sync. I see that you added the UID as a default because a lack of anything at all in the ASIN makes the Kindle unhappy, but no specifics on why ASIN = ASIN is bad that I can see.

And seriously, if that's it, then just tell us and I'll come to terms with your lack of cooperation. But if there's a concrete, valid reason not to do this - something that would be genuinely bad (i.e. "It breaks certain devices' ability to read the doc" or "Amazon will remotely disable your device if you do this" or something similar), then please tell me.

Here's a thought - you could have redirected me to the Quality Check plugin, as you did on an obscure thread that I found on that magical Google engine you talk about:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125428

(By the way, everyone, this automates the ASIN fix - YAY - but there's still an issue; the file, if transferred manually to the Kindle by Windows, shows the cover, but if transferred by Calibre, the cover does not show! Progress, but there's still something about Calibre interacting with a Paperwhite that doesn't let the two get along...)

And I don't want a refund, thank you very much, since I still think it's an otherwise terrific product - and also, thanks for making a person who donated feel like his contribution is invalid, unwanted, and unappreciated - speaks volumes for how much you really care about your contributors.

Instead of insulting me, you could have sent the link I pasted above. To each their own. Even though this fixes my issues (I can write a copy script easier than a binary editing script), I still have no idea what, EXACTLY, this breaks. So far, all my (evidently incompetent) Google searches show that using the Amazon ASIN is actually something that FIXES, not BREAKS, anything...
Old 10-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #58
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@malicousloki: > /dev/null

Keep talking to the vacuum, I'm sure it is all ears.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #59
maliciousloki
Member Retired

*sigh* Fine. removed

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 10-08-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #60
setite
Enthusiast
setite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
So there is no batch method to move the ASIN on the custom metadata page to EXTH 113? I have nearly 300 books, I put them into Calibre manually thinking it would replace the UUID ASIN, but it didn't. Kovid, is there a way? Otherwise I don't see the point of that particular field.

setite is offline   Reply With Quote