Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #196
Big Mack
Enthusiast
Big Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of light

Device: iPod Touch 4; iPhone 4; Kobo Touch; Kobo Glo
These lockup/spontaneous resets were getting annoying - several times this afternoon when i tried to turn the page. I was never plugged in.
Just performed a factory reset and in the process of reinstalling the sideloaded books fresh using Calibre.
fingers crossed....
Big Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #197
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I checked out the Glo (and the Mini) in the Chapters store today. They had them parked side-by-side with a regular KT like the one I've had for more than a year.

The only way I knew it was a Glo was by the extra button on the top. It looked identical. I didn't notice the slightest difference in screen contrast or resolution when I first looked at them side-by-side.

The Glo light seemed even across the screen. I could see the LEDs at the edge if I really looked for them, but overall the lighting was good. It does make the screen look a little whiter when it's on.

BTW, the store display was deserted, and there were no signs up at all saying that there was anything new. No pricing posted.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:49 AM   #198
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I was at my local Chapters early Friday AM. The display was in a prominent place, but had just been set up as the devices had only come in late on Thursday. How white the display looks depends on where the slider is set. It is too white for me at the extreme end of the scale.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #199
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Any left handed people got the glo?

I was having a look at it this morning, and it did look nice, but I found the buttons on the left a bit awkward (not to easy to get a good feel for it in the store)
paulsalter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #200
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I use my Glo like a lefty (it's a disability thing). You can adjust the page turn zones in "Reading Settings". The hardware button for the light and the slider on the top don't pose a problem for me. I'm ok with the various sliders etc.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #201
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I use my Glo like a lefty (it's a disability thing). You can adjust the page turn zones in "Reading Settings". The hardware button for the light and the slider on the top don't pose a problem for me. I'm ok with the various sliders etc.
Thanks

They make it hard to get a good feel for them in the shop, tied up with about 3" pice of security wire so cant pick it up properly
Old 10-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #202
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
Thanks

They make it hard to get a good feel for them in the shop, tied up with about 3" pice of security wire so cant pick it up properly
Gar, this drives me up the wall. Dick Smith has its Kindles locked tight onto a bar-height ledge designed for walkies. I couldn't try one out at all - when I reached up to bring one down to my level, the security cable alarmed and drama ensued. And afterwards when I said "I'd quite like to look at the device" no one bothered to offer any sort of assistance - they just pointed out the security system and left me to it. Gotta love a business that shamelessly puts out the "NO CRIPPLES" sign.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:34 AM   #203
Bidibulle
Enthusiast
Bidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Clara Hd
I bought a Glo (a black one) yesterday and my bank account was refunded today.
The button to switch it on and off was not working. I had to bring it back to the shop (Fnac in France)
A little disappointed, but the reading experience was pretty good during the moment it worked.
Bidibulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #204
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
My Glo arrived lunchtime yesterday. So far with my limited use, I prefer it to the Kindle Touch I bought earlier this year which I find uncomfortable to use and often hit the wrong thing without trying, but the only thing I don't like is although my hands were totally clean when I took it out the box immediately marks from my skin oil caused marks on the hot pink back.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #205
Big Mack
Enthusiast
Big Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of light

so far so good...
after using it last night and this morning - no issues thus far....
Perhaps it was related to just using the SD card without Calibre. this time, i put in a blank SD card and put all the sideloaded books in through Calibre - perhaps its a database thing....
Old 10-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #206
Big Mack
Enthusiast

Now that my issues are seemingly over, a quick review:

1. screen is whiter than than KT. Contrast is good and the resolution is very good.

2. i really like the light. don't understand the dead pixels issue - i don't seem to have it. From the photos posted by the Amazon users, the Kindle PW seems to use the same tech. They're likely disappointed due to the hype (i.e. 4 years in the making) and that the previews and advertisements do not seem to look like their screens (kind'a like how my Big Mac doesn't look like the ads...). i would like a lower setting, however. i still found it too bright on its lowest setting when reading in bed (complete darkness).

3. very fast and sensitive. i barely touch the screen and the page turns. I think i coughed and the page turned...

4. covers do not seem to load as fast on the KT - when i change pages in my library (or go home), i usually only see 1 cover immediately and the others fill in. Same thing when i put the unit to sleep - i see a "placeholder" rectangle with the book's title first, and a half second later, the image fills in.

5. i really like that i did not need to hook it up to the Mac to initialize, similar to a Kindle. Setting up via Wifi much better.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #207
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
You can still use Amazon if you use Calibre on your PC with some plugins from "apprentice alf" (Google this). Also, there are lots of other bookstores with great prices such as Booksonboard, diesel-ebooks, your public library (free!) etc.

Also you will find a very active thread on Mobileread about Kobo coupon codes in the Deals thread. You can use these codes virtually every time you buy a book unless it has agency pricing, in which case everyone, including amazon must sell at the same price.

Enjoy your Glo!

Can you link to the Deals thread you mentioned? I couldn't find it on a quick search.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #208
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrXca View Post
Nope, I can confirm it just dies with the "charge your reader" message, and it's a bit more disconcerting with the light on in a dark location, suddenly the light just goes out..
Actually it gives a message at the top of the screen when the battery is getting low and will need charging in a bit...not sure how long that started before my died, but at least it gives some warning...
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #209
paulsalter
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Can you link to the Deals thread you mentioned? I couldn't find it on a quick search.
Here you go

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115233
Old 10-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #210
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mack View Post
so far so good...
after using it last night and this morning - no issues thus far....
Perhaps it was related to just using the SD card without Calibre. this time, i put in a blank SD card and put all the sideloaded books in through Calibre - perhaps its a database thing....
What happened is unlikely to be related to using calibre. The Kobo Touch/Glo/Minii driver for calibre hardly touches the database on the device when it puts the book onto the device. The only touches are to clean some records that might be left over from the book being on there previously (only because of previous firmware versions) and the shelves if you are using them.

The only other thing that calibre does is to update the metadata in the books after the copy. The only reason this could help is if you had books with corrupted metadata and this was fixed. But corrupt metadata would cause problems when the device processed the books the first time it saw them.

The first time you did this, how did the books get to the SD card? Was the card in the Glo or directly mounted in the computer? Had you ejected the card after the Glo had seen the books?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote