Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #46
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'd love to see a similar update for my Kindle 2, but I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to upgrade to get KF8. If only there was a newer model that had the full, physical K2 keyboard, physical page-turn buttons (wider than the K3's), AND touch-screen navigation with the new Paperwhite/external lighting feature. I'd be one happy camper.
The one thing I'd love to have from the K2 for my K3 is that wonky joystick. It may look a bit odd but it's a lot easier to use than those tiny directional buttons.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You do realize how stodgy that sounds?

"Bah! Humbug. You kids and your 'progress' and 'improvements.' Bring back ice boxes, that's what I say!"

It's hardly anything to get excited about. I have absolutely no problem with the previous fonts and how they displayed. The fact is, I read off the default font (whatever it is) and have no desire to change it.

Keep in mind that I treat my Kindles (K3 & K4) like paperbacks and read strictly for entertainment. I open a book and read. I don't use the dictionary, highlighting, bookmarks, notes, different fonts, etc. I also don't use calibre.

If Amazon wants to get me excited, then they'd use folders for organizing content. That, I'd find truly useful. Otherwise, ...meh.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #48
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
If Amazon wants to get me excited, then they'd use folders for organizing content. That, I'd find truly useful. Otherwise, ...meh.
I was hoping it would be part of the update. Oh well, a girl can dream.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #49
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #50
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Surely you can fix that in Sigil, no?
I don't think Sigil handles KF8 files. You would probably have to convert to epub, edit and then reconvert to KF8. Not really worth the effort in my opinion.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #51
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
KindleGen then?
I don't edit my content so I'm fairly clueless.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #52
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Does this new firmware update cause any problems for the new tools_v5.3 at all?
Good golly, Miss Molly. I'm behind the times. Glad you posted that.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #53
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
KindleGen then?
I don't edit my content so I'm fairly clueless.
Nope. Kindlegen still needs an epub, htm, or html file. I may play around with conversion just to see if it's *possible*. Still probably not worth the effort unless you're especially anal.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #54
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool You're Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Good golly, Miss Molly. I'm behind the times. Glad you posted that.
You are quite welcome!

On another note, I got my first KF8 and on my 3.4 enabled reader it looks just plain awful. Awful line spacing, the drop caps look terrible, the fonts spindly and the file is HUGE!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #55
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
You are quite welcome!

On another note, I got my first KF8 and on my 3.4 enabled reader it looks just plain awful. Awful line spacing, the drop caps look terrible, the fonts spindly and the file is HUGE!
Isn't the whole point of KF8 to give creators the freedom to make things truly awful?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #56
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
You are quite welcome!

There should be an option to turn off publisher font in the aA menu if the embedded font is done correctly (at least KT and K4 have this option). Most embedded fonts will not look great at the smaller text sizes. Not enough screen resolution.

It sounds like you might be rolling your own KF8 with kindlegen or kindle previewer? in which case the file contains mobi, kf8, and source, and will be roughly 3x larger. There is a python script here (mobi forum) that will extract just the KF8. KF8 is not significantly larger than equivalent mobi in general. KF8 files delivered by Amazon only contain the KF8 segment. I haven't played with calibre's conversion to KF8, it may not have this problem.

There is also an issue with KDP when some Word docs are submitted for conversion (unless that has been fixed). Looks okay in previewer and on Fire but on KT text is tiny. "Wool Omnibus Edition" for example. Len Edgerley (Kindle Chronicles podcast) had this happen to a book he submitted.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #57
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool KF8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There should be an option to turn off publisher font in the aA menu if the embedded font is done correctly (at least KT and K4 have this option). Most embedded fonts will not look great at the smaller text sizes. Not enough screen resolution.

It sounds like you might be rolling your own KF8 with kindlegen or kindle previewer? in which case the file contains mobi, kf8, and source, and will be roughly 3x larger. There is a python script here (mobi forum) that will extract just the KF8. KF8 is not significantly larger than equivalent mobi in general. KF8 files delivered by Amazon only contain the KF8 segment. I haven't played with calibre's conversion to KF8, it may not have this problem.

There is also an issue with KDP when some Word docs are submitted for conversion (unless that has been fixed). Looks okay in previewer and on Fire but on KT text is tiny. "Wool Omnibus Edition" for example. Len Edgerley (Kindle Chronicles podcast) had this happen to a book he submitted.
Nope, original azw w/DRM downladed before the update was 545 KB. Downloaded after the update the file is an azw3 w/DRM and is 2007 KB. Calibre w/tools_v5.3 converts it to a 542 KB mobi and surprisingly a 1945 KB EPUB.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #58
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yes, that option is there (and needed!) on the K3 for the KF8 files I've looked at since updating.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #59
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
...and surprisingly a 1945 KB EPUB.
Not surprising if the original KF8 file contained embedded fonts. The MOBI would, of course, omit the fonts as it would be the older "classic" MOBI. The EPUB likely contains the fonts and hence is rather large.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #60
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool KF8 file contains embedded fonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Not surprising if the original KF8 file contained embedded fonts. The MOBI would, of course, omit the fonts as it would be the older "classic" MOBI. The EPUB likely contains the fonts and hence is rather large.
Ah ha! Your explanation lends sense to the issue! Thanks!