Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #16
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
What I am wondering about is, that the "original" TTS of Touch is 250 MB, the one taken from K3 for the translation is 35 MB, at least the ones I am using.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #17
iPocketBook
iPocketBook doesn't litteriPocketBook doesn't litter

Device: pb 302, KT
I noticed that text-to-speech gets stuck sometimes, when I try to resume after having pressed pause. In those cases the whole audio system seems to be blocked (mp3 player doesn't work) and only a restart helps.

have any of you experienced the same?
I replaced some tts voices, could this cause the error?

will have a look at the logs when I have time...
iPocketBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:22 AM   #18
kittipong500
kittipong500 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Can someone help me?

I was removed(I think I'm not but it not appear now) tts folder from my kindle touch. I try to create new tts folder by new folder function on windows 7 and then create data folder inside tts folder and download both of tts-en-tom.zip and tts-en-samantha.zip from ixtab's link and extract them in G(kindle):\tts\data\
but, It not work, I try soft and hard restart but it still not work. Can someone advice me or sent tts folder link to me T_T
kittipong500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #19
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
I'll send you a link via PM in a minute.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #20
victor_2203
Connoisseur
victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Thanks to diba, I got everything together again. I'm currently uploading a file containing all 4 german/english voices, so you can combine them whichever way you want.

UPDATE: Here are the tts-* files: http://ge.tt/9XeUvcC
Is there any possibility to get the spanish tts pack ready to use with the Kindle Touch like the packs contained in the previous link?
victor_2203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #21
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor_2203 View Post
Is there any possibility to get the spanish tts pack ready to use with the Kindle Touch like the packs contained in the previous link?
Yes, of course. It's actually just a simple matter of renaming the usertts files appropriately. I'm attaching the perl script that I used for generating the german packs (meant to be used on Linux).
Attached Files
File Type: txt ttstouch.pl.txt (1.8 KB, 583 views)
Old 02-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #22
victor_2203
Connoisseur
victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.

Thanks for the script ixtab, but I don't have possibility to use it in several days. Is it possible to get the full pack compiled please?
Old 02-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #23
ixtab
(offline)

Ah well...

For consistency, I just converted and uploaded to that same location all other locales that I could get my hands on and that seemed to be "convertible". However, everything except tom, samantha, steffi and yannick is completely untested.

But please, for future readers: don't ask me to build new packages for you. You have all the required tools and information available, and I'm not a package-building machine.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #24
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

@ixtab: don't let them ride on your back, buddy or they'd ride you to death...
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #25
victor_2203
Connoisseur

Quote:
Ah well...

For consistency, I just converted and uploaded to that same location all other locales that I could get my hands on and that seemed to be "convertible". However, everything except tom, samantha, steffi and yannick is completely untested.

But please, for future readers: don't ask me to build new packages for you. You have all the required tools and information available, and I'm not a package-building machine.
Thank you very much ixtab, and apologize for the inconvenience.
I have been testing the spanish TTS pack and it doesn't work. An error appears sometimes when the TTS is activated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAMan View Post
@ixtab: don't let them ride on your back, buddy or they'd ride you to death...

EDIT: The spanish TTS pack works fine!! I have restarted the device twice and finally it works. Thanks.

Last edited by victor_2203; 02-29-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:09 AM   #26
A-I
A-I began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook Color
Does anyone know if using a Chinese TTS pack would work with the KT?
The KT does display Chinese characters, but I'm not sure if the TTS will read the Chinese characters even if there is a free Chinese voice pack?

I don't want to risk bricking my KT. Thanks.

Quote:
Yes, of course. It's actually just a simple matter of renaming the usertts files appropriately. I'm attaching the perl script that I used for generating the german packs (meant to be used on Linux).
Edit: Does the KT only allow 1 male and 1 female voice pack at a time? In other words, are you just renaming the "Tom" and "Samantha" voice packs with the Spanish male and female voice packs?
Or does adding several males and females voice packs mess up the KT TTS because the common/pp.dat is configured for 1 male and 1 female voice packs?

Thanks.

Last edited by A-I; 03-08-2012 at 09:58 AM.
A-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #27
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
For K3 there is a hack allowing more than one "male/female" package, switching is done via launchpad.
For Touch I have no clue, what you can do is, as described, having the male with one, the female with another language. And it is just a try, no harm to your touch, worst case is that it will be silent or giving you anerror message. Rename as you have mentioned yourself.

If multiple language could be made available, it is ixtab who could be your man.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #28
A-I
A-I began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook Color
Okay, the tts-README.txt at http://ge.tt/9XeUvcC limits to 1 male and 1 female (or 2 total voice packs only) on the KT. Substituting the "Tom" and "Samantha" with the other voices using the dsmid's file convention will just replace the "male" and "female" selection in the TTS, which is the best hack for the KT at this time.

As for the Chinese voice pack, I have not found a ready made *.zip language pack like those processed by seaniko7 . The closest free Chinese voice that I've found is at http://www.speaktext.com/downloadtts.htm, and the encoding is not formatted to the *.dat or *.hdr files like those used for the Kindle TTS. I also tried to extract the Duokan Lite install files, because Duokan supports English and Chinese for their TTS. But this is beyond me, because I will just risk bricking if I try to re-format and use those files.

However, I suspect the reason that Kindle's TTS engine does not support Chinese is because Chinese requires a different TTS engine (being non-Latin) in addition to the voice pack. SVOX has a free TTS engine for Android but sells the Chinese voice pack, and that does not mean it is compatible with Kindle TTS. So unless someone else more knowledgeable is willing to hack the voice pack of the 2nd most used language on the internet, then I suggest waiting for Duokan to release their Kindle Touch version with English/Chinese TTS.

Yes, I'm wimping out...

Last edited by A-I; 03-09-2012 at 12:01 AM.
A-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #29
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
I didn't like the brazilian voice and did not make a backup, and the male voice, because shares properties, does not work properly too. Thanks for uploading that tts's, ixtab.

Last edited by Antoinekamel; 03-28-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #30
Safazeck
Safazeck began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG 2.5.8
is there any way to change voice to portuguese on KINDLE DX GRAPHITE 2.5.8 ?
Safazeck is offline   Reply With Quote