Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > BBeB/LRF Books (offline)

Notices

Old 05-27-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Ballard, W.T.: Dealing Out Death, 27 May 2008

ADDED: Version 2 is actually a BookDesigner version, with hot links to the chapters. This version has two different pieces of artwork added.

The other version was uploaded earlier and has been available for about 3 months. That version was assembled using calibre, also a very fine program.

Take your pick.

This title was released under a Creative Commons License, with additional acknowledgement placed at the end of the book. Book was acquired from Munseys, BUT REFORMATED BY ME TO MY SPECIFICATIONS.

This is my FIRST BOOK formatted by me using calibre.

There is no TOC - someone needs to HOLD MY HAND and tell me how to do this. When I had only numbers for the chapter headings, there was no new page break in the text. When I added the word "Chapter" before a number, then suddenly I have page breaks. I also changed the font. I have NO IDEA why I now have page breaks, but at least I have page breaks.

I'm not a programmer....so, if someone wants to help me and if this person can communicate to me in fully developled sentences - using the English language - then I'll listen to your helpful suggestions.

I like the way the type and the spacing between words looks in calibre, and I like this look somewhat better than what I can do with BookDesinger. I like the ease of BookDesinger; but then again, I've assembled almost 300 books using that program.

W.T. Ballard was a great pulp writer, writing both mysteries and westerns. If you like the tough school of hardboiled detective fiction, then you should take a look at this.

In the meantime, if I do get the help I need on producing a TOC, and in understanding how to control chapter page breaks (new pages), then I'm going to continue to experiment with calibre.

I hope you enjoy this fun mystery.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The simplest way to manually create a TOC is just add a section like

Code:
<ul>
<li><a href="#chapter1">Chapter One</a></li>
<li><a href="#chapter2">Chapter Two</a></li>
</ul>
Near the top of the HTML file where you want the TOC to appear. You also have to identify the actual chapter titles in the text like this

Code:
<h2 id="chapter1">Chapter One</h2>
You can of course use any text not necessarily Chapter One

Note that you can manually force a page break before any HTML element by adding style="page-break-before: always" to the HTML tag

Code:
<p style="page-break-before: always">Some paragraph...</p>
So to consolidate, your HTML file should look like this:

Code:
<h1>Book Title</h1>
<h2>Table of Contents</h2>

<ul>
<li><a href="#chapter1">Chapter One</a></li>
<li><a href="#chapter2">Chapter Two</a></li>
</ul>

<h2 style="page-break-before: always" id="chapter1">Chapter One</h2>

<h2 style="page-break-before: always" id="chapter2">Chapter Two</h2>
There is an example here http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/downloads/html-demo.zip
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. Much appreciated for the help on calibre. I'm going to study all that you've written. I also downloaded the file you posted.

One thing I forgot to mention is that my assemblage of this title - and subsequent addition of the word "chapter" to the chapter numbers that eventually created my chapter page breaks - all this was done in Word's RTF.

I don't know how that changes the help you've offered.

Don
Old 05-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're working on an RTF file as your source?
Old 05-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You're working on an RTF file as your source?
Yes. I just double-checked. I copied the file as an HTML file and then pasted it into Word (2003) to be saved as an RTF file. At that point, I played around with calibre and this RTF file. (Usually, using BookDesinger, I always try to use an HTML file. I can't remember my rationale for using an RTF.)

Don
Old 05-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You'll have much more control if you use HTML, but if you want to use RTF and still have a TOC the next release of calibre (in a few days) will have the ability to automatically generate the TOC from detected chapters (go to Chapter detection in the conversion dialog and enable "add chapters to table of contents"). So enabling this option should be all you need to do.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You'll have much more control if you use HTML, but if you want to use RTF and still have a TOC the next release of calibre (in a few days) will have the ability to automatically generate the TOC from detected chapters (go to Chapter detection in the conversion dialog and enable "add chapters to table of contents"). So enabling this option should be all you need to do.
Ok, I'll do that.

I just checked what version I'm using of calibre and it's 0.4.56 (with the latest version I see being 0.4.62)

What's in the Chapter Detection at this moment, by default, is this: chapter|book|appendix

Anyway, I'll download that new version you mention, the one available in a few days from now.

Thanks again.

Don
Old 06-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Note that you can manually force a page break before any HTML element by adding style="page-break-before: always" to the HTML tag

Code:
kovidgoyal, Did you fix this bug? I reported this issue on thread

<P> page break problems
This is where adding the
Code:
causes a page break on every <P> not just the <p style="page-break-before: always">Some paragraph...</p> tag

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Can you open a ticket please, I'll lose track otherwise
Old 08-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Two versions are available for download:

Version 2: A BookDesigner assemblage with two pieces of cover art. Hotlinks are available to the chapters.

The first version: Assembled using calibre, an excellent program and database.

I hope you enjoy them both.

Don