Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
LynnDC
LynnDC began at the beginning.

Device: none
Already have iPad and smartphone, just want a back up for sunlight and my purse

I'm reading mostly on my iPad. I find it easy to look at and love not needing to find a proper light source. But I don't want to always carry it with me. It gets heavy in my purse and I always stress about it being stolen if I leave it in the car.

Plus I like to sit outside and the glare is a pain.

So I want a back up reader. I do have an android smartphone but I don't want to use it significantly.

Lastly, I like the touch screen because I like to swipe to turn pages.

Oh, and I do lots of library books.

So, I think I am looking at - what? nook touch, sony, kobo touch
Any others? As just a back up reader should I maybe just go for price?
LynnDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
All of the readers you mentioned are good choices. They all read books. I have the Sony 350 & it goes everywhere with me (it is 5" screen). But the new Nook & Kobo aren't all that big. Sony is coming out with a new 6" reader this month according to their web site. So you may want to take a look at that. And the price is more in line with the Kobo & Nook this time. And the new Sony will have direct access to libraries, access to the web, plus other benefits.

Of course depending on where you live does influence which e-reader is best for you.

I have 3 readers & Sony is my favorite. But that is a matter of personal preference. I'm looking forward to trying the new Sony's.

But if all you want is just a basic reader as back up then the cheapest & most available to you might be the way to go.

I know I haven't been a lot of help because in the end it is all personal preference. All readers have their good points & bad points.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
All of the readers you mentioned are good choices. They all read books. I have the Sony 350 & it goes everywhere with me (it is 5" screen). But the new Nook & Kobo aren't all that big. Sony is coming out with a new 6" reader this month according to their web site. So you may want to take a look at that. And the price is more in line with the Kobo & Nook this time. And the new Sony will have direct access to libraries, access to the web, plus other benefits.

Of course depending on where you live does influence which e-reader is best for you.

I have 3 readers & Sony is my favorite. But that is a matter of personal preference. I'm looking forward to trying the new Sony's.

But if all you want is just a basic reader as back up then the cheapest & most available to you might be the way to go.

I know I haven't been a lot of help because in the end it is all personal preference. All readers have their good points & bad points.

not sure what you mean by "not all that big" both the nook touch and the kobo touch are six inch screens
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See E-book Reader Matrix for the details of the Nook and Kobo touch options and the not yet released Sony PRS-T1. The latter is lighter and can directly download from your lending library via WiFi, but it has not yet been seriously reviewed.

As Pomtroll mentioned, the Sony PRS-350 is a smaller basic reader (no touch screen, but very good quality hardware) and you can get a good price now if you can find it in a local store.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Story HD is another possibility, and so is Kindle if you don't mind waiting for Amazon to make good on its promise to support library borrowing sometime this year.

BTW, my wife has said the same thing about the iPad and her purses -- not a good fit.

Last edited by hughes; 09-07-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: [Oh, missed the touch screen preference -- scratch the Kindle then.]
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
LynnDC

Thanks for the Matrix. I love comparisons like that.

Now you all have me thinking:
I've always had 6 inch readers, but if I already have the iPad, then a 5 might really be nice for the purse. I like the solid feel of the Sony 350 and 650 and am worried about the new Sonys because of 1) possible increased glare and 2) the stylus being separate 3) a cheapy plastic feeling

As for the downloading directly from the library, side loading is no biggie at all and I'd probably still do it that way.

**Something else I just thought of. I like how notes sync to the Reader Library with the Sony. Since I read more on the iPad, it would be a way to cross reference my notes without being restricted to just the device.

I'm thinking I'm going to look around for an old sony 350. But the thing is, now that there is a gap until the new ones come out, people are asking crazy prices for the 350 and 650.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
not sure what you mean by "not all that big" both the nook touch and the kobo touch are six inch screens
I have seen the new Nook Simple Touch & it would easily fit into my purse (I don't have a large purse). The Kindle 3 is a much tighter fit & feels heavier. That is what I meant by that statement. She wants something easy to carry & I assumed she meant in her purse.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
LynnDC

Yeah, I mean something for the purse so that I'm not constantly deciding whether it's worth it to carry it around. I keep finding myself with pockets of time that would be perfect to read for a few minutes. And every time, I've left the ipad at home.

Right now I'm on a mission to read and write more, whatever it takes.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
LynnDC

Oh, and here's another reason to read on something else. Every freakin' time I get on the ipad to read, a kids begs to play a game on it. There's something to be said for something that is just a book.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
The Sony PRS-350 is nice and small, glare-free, great outdoors, and would be great in your purse.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
I have seen the new Nook Simple Touch & it would easily fit into my purse (I don't have a large purse). The Kindle 3 is a much tighter fit & feels heavier. That is what I meant by that statement. She wants something easy to carry & I assumed she meant in her purse.
ahhh gotcha
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
There's something to be said about the kindle/iPad combination. Since the iPad has a kindle app you could seamlessly switch devices and have your books, pages and notes in sync on each.

Although that advantage might not apply to books you load from other stores, so if amazon isn't your usual store, it's not such a compelling feature
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
LesRS
Enthusiast
LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Lenovo A1 Tablet
I am leaning toward the Nook Simple Touch because I want to read in bed, but I also want to read PDFs as well. The $139.00 price point is more affordable to me than the upcoming $250.00 Amazon Kindle Tablet. It was $100 less, maybe.
LesRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
LynnDC

Yeah, I would like that combo with the kindle, that the books would always be sync'd. But 1) I do library books if at all possible and 2) Amazon freaks me out, the way they keep track of what I highlight.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #15
LynnDC

Ok, I have cheap solution. My daughter had a sony 350 that she got in Nov. The screen broke without it having been dropped or subjected to pressure.

I had read that sony doesn't cover the screen damage. But I just called Sony and said I thought it gave out too easily for how new it was and for taking good care of it.

Now for $30 they will send a replacement. I'm sure it'll be a refurb, but that's better than nothing for the price.

I think I'll really like the 350 for purse purposes. It's crazy light.