Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
mateo
Enthusiast
mateo began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Zire71
Can you buy a mag/newspaper single issue?

do you have to purchase the subscription or could you, say, just buy the latest issue of Forbes or Washington Post. If the answer is yes, how much for a single issue.
mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Yes you can buy a single issue. Haven't checked the cost of magazines, but the going rate for newspapers seems to be 75 cents an issue. A bargain for the Sunday NYT.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Or you could "sample" the mag/newspaper.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Yes you can buy a single issue. Haven't checked the cost of magazines, but the going rate for newspapers seems to be 75 cents an issue. A bargain for the Sunday NYT.

Jim
Do you get everything that's in the printed version? All the supplements, etc?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You get all the sections, Harry, but not everything that's in the printed version. I get the Book Review mailed to me and I know I'm not getting everything in the Vista version that's in the other. And a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that they had an article "In the Magazine" on-line that I skipped because I expected to be able to read it on the Kindle only the find out that it wasn't there and I had to do a search on-line to find the article.

But it's head and shoulders above our local Sunday paper which is just a vehicle for ads, and beats driving 10 miles round trip to buy the Times at a book store and pay $3.50 or so.

Jim
Old 01-23-2008, 02:41 PM   #6
Strether
Guru

I just got last Sunday's Book Review in the mail and I still have that edition on the Kindle, so checked them off to see what I'm missing: The front-page review, Letters to the Editor, Hardcover and Paperback Best Seller lists, and, of course, the ads. Otherwise have everything. Don't know how representative this is of the other sections. Not too shabby for 75 cents. Yearly cost of the Book Review section mailed to you is $65.00, going up in July when my annual contract renews. Doubtful that I'll do that if the Kindle edition doesn't deteriorate.

Jim
Old 06-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Strether
Guru

I note that the NYT has revamped their Sunday edition, at least, so they must be selling enough Kindled copies that they feel it's worth their while.

My major complaint with the old formatting was that you'd get links in a particular section, but they gave you no information as to what the link was about, so you ended up having to read at least the first part of everything. On the op-ed page, for example, you'd see "op-ed contributor" without knowing who the op-ed contributor was and what he or she was discussing.

But last Sunday I noticed that they gave you a short synopsis of what the article/review/op-ed piece was about. A big plus, I thought.

Jim