Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-26-2021, 08:59 AM   #46
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8poke2 View Post
So it's not enabled in every modes(?)
Boox Note is not a mode - it is an old 10,3 Inch Android 6 EInk Tablet with 4 core CPU.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:43 AM   #47
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
I have no problem now after this thrad with speed of processor, but with missing Regal refresh mode from comment #38 - 5th comments back (at 23.06.21 03:13).
I think default can be maybe only buffer for getting data fast from proc/GPU, made GPU free for new data and this buffer will send it to display with slow speed. Or some more logic that can send pixels to reload and for status change. It's some chip/ typical chip, that I can remove from old reader and put it down between PCB and display cable/stick in Poko 2 without problem with FW/HW? Without it I have only "2-4" cores reader.

Does exist JavaScript webpage/engine for scrolling/zooming etc. testing?
No you can't. The Poke 2 already supports Regal refresh anyways. It doesn't make as big as a difference as you're thinking. You can see Regal refresh by playing with the app optimization settings. You also can't measure the screen refresh in software because as far its concerned everything was rendered quickly you just couldn't see it.

This is tradeoff between eInk and LCD or OLED. You get a screen that looks like paper and works well in sunlight but it can't refresh very fast regardless of hardware. There is some tricks like A2 and X mode to speed it up but it comes at the cost of display quality. If you want a fast display buy a normal tablet.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2021, 01:08 PM   #48
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
You also can't measure the screen refresh in software because as far its concerned everything was rendered quickly you just couldn't see it.
Yes, you can measure it in software or hardware.
The little blobs only move under the influence of the waveforms.
It's all black magic and a bit like "musical chairs", but when the waveforms stop so does all movement.

Here's my measuring a page turn on a B&N Glow3 normal EPUB.
The first 160 mS is a combination of the reader software deciding what to do, then the screen driver deciding what to do.
The next 450 mS is all the voodoo of waveforms driving the display.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pageturn3.png
Views:	185
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	187884  
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:49 AM   #49
8poke2
8poke2 began at the beginning.

Device: Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
This is tradeoff between eInk and LCD or OLED. You get a screen that looks like paper and works well in sunlight but it can't refresh very fast regardless of hardware. There is some tricks like A2 and X mode to speed it up but it comes at the cost of display quality. If you want a fast display buy a normal tablet.
I chose eink reader for night reading. A2 is optimal for me. With X mode font inaccuracies are disruptive for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Here's my measuring a page turn on a B&N Glow3 normal EPUB.
The first 160 mS is a combination of the reader software deciding what to do, then the screen driver deciding what to do.
The next 450 mS is all the voodoo of waveforms driving the display.
NICE! I already know why you opened your reader! I think even a single-channel oscilloscope could measure it. ... Standart mic input and sound mixing application Audacity https://www.audacityteam.org/about/screenshots/
8poke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 11:26 AM   #50
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
I chose eink reader for night reading.
I mainly use EInk devices when it is bright and also when it is dark only with ambient light.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2021, 11:49 AM   #51
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I already know why you opened your reader!
Well, I actually try to avoid opening my Poke 3.
The next time I do I'll get some real measurements of update speed.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:22 PM   #52
8poke2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I mainly use EInk devices when it is bright and also when it is dark only with ambient light.
With ambient light at night is not comfortable for me. I have second reader with only white backlight. Yellow LEDs in Poke 2 are really pleasant.

Quote:
Well, I actually try to avoid opening my Poke 3.
The next time I do I'll get some real measurements of update speed.
I think it's very difficult for You. I'm sorry for You. Maybe after one Year i will probably do the same. But i think between Poke 2 and Poke 3 is no progress in displaying. If it were, they would be proud in comparission table at end of page https://www.boox.com/poke3/

Your library of utilities http://www.temblast.com/android.htm is valuable but You need SSL certificate for security of users and also for position in google search rank. At this time the are also free and most of hostings can add free SSL certificate by click in the menu. https://www.google.com/search?q=free...ate+for+domain

I was looking for where You connected the oscilloscope http://www.temblast.com/blogs/glow4/blog.htm#pinmux and no info. Why don't you use also Play Store for android utils? http://www.temblast.com/android.htm

I used NtxHwCfg for NTX config read and i found maybe this to display refresh related infos:
Quote:
10 PCB E60QH0 (51)
19 DisplayCtrl MX6SL+TPS65185 (7)
1a DisplayPanel 6" Bottom EPD (6)
Can be seen from this a refresh strategy? Screen capture from device using "adb shell screencap /sdcard/screen.png" is https://imgur.com/3Zf1Xvh but with Your http://www.temblast.com/adbgrab.htm is usable!
Old 06-27-2021, 06:24 PM   #53
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
You need SSL certificate for security of users ...
It's there. If you want https, just use it.
Quote:
I was looking for where you connected the oscilloscope
Just about any of the Eink data lines will do. With that you can measure the duration of the screen update itself but not how fast the page turn is from touch until done. You need some sort of hardware output to indicate the start. If the system console is working you can just put a Log.d in your reader app and scope the console.
Quote:
I used NtxHwCfg for NTX config read and i found maybe this to display refresh related infos:
You had a HwCfg out of an NTX device? Which? This won't work with Onyx.
The whole HwCfg idea was used before device trees. It might have been a good idea, but they ended up with unique u-boot and kernel for each model anyway.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:04 PM   #54
8poke2

Quote:
It's there. If you want https, just use it.
yes first time in long time i se web which dont have automatic redirect to https.

Quote:
You had a HwCfg out of an NTX device? Which? This won't work with Onyx.
The whole HwCfg idea was used before device trees. It might have been a good idea, but they ended up with unique u-boot and kernel for each model anyway.
My old reader is https://the-digital-reader.com/2016/...een-139-euros/ Just for this device with 1 core 1GHz processor with fast screen update I assumed that Poke 2 would be faster than is.

Tags
boox, ereader, poke 2, review