Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #35686
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
time to put her on a harness and go make kitty snow angels! I always try to take Strider and Arwen out when it snows, they LOVE it!
Nothing's sticking to the ground yet - when it does I'll see if she's brave enough to venture out!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #35687
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Must have been world-wide. We had snow flurries yesterday as well. Felicity sat in her tree watching it for hours, but had absolutely no desire to venture out. (She is a Thailand cat.) Fortunately, none stuck to the ground. I'm praying we get through this winter with zero accumulation. Riding motorcycles on a thin layer of snow is NOT pleasant.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #35688
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Must have been world-wide. We had snow flurries yesterday as well. Felicity sat in her tree watching it for hours, but had absolutely no desire to venture out. (She is a Thailand cat.) Fortunately, none stuck to the ground. I'm praying we get through this winter with zero accumulation. Riding motorcycles on a thin layer of snow is NOT pleasant.

Stitchawl
nothing here
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #35689
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
No snow ever stayed put on the ground - just pretty flakes in the air - then melted - so no kitty fun day!
Today - just ice left on the roads.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #35690
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Banging my head against the wall gently because I didn't have a spare 3TB drive on hand to immediately bit-level clone a client drive before it collapsed a mere couple of hours later. . . and thinking I should go to bed about now (00H16) ... and that it's perhaps a bit odd that I appear back on the board like this
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:57 AM   #35691
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've decided that I'm going to the Keukenhof (flower show) on my own this year. Before I went with my sister. I love her very much but not only do I need a day out by myself, she wants to keep going all day, hardly taking time to have lunch. I like to wander around, take it easy, maybe find a nice bench to relax (with my Kindle) for a little bit and then wander on again.

It's still four and a half weeks before they open and I still have to decide when I want to go; I don't want to go early because a lot of flowers aren't in bloom yet, too late and a lot are out of bloom and I also want to avoid very busy days.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:11 AM   #35692
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I've decided that I'm going to the Keukenhof (flower show) on my own this year. Before I went with my sister. I love her very much but not only do I need a day out by myself, she wants to keep going all day, hardly taking time to have lunch. I like to wander around, take it easy, maybe find a nice bench to relax (with my Kindle) for a little bit and then wander on again.

It's still four and a half weeks before they open and I still have to decide when I want to go; I don't want to go early because a lot of flowers aren't in bloom yet, too late and a lot are out of bloom and I also want to avoid very busy days.
That is such a nice thing to go to; all these flowers. They had an open-air performance of an orchestra the day I went. Two years ago I bought some lotus-bulbs at the Keukenhof, that were very complicated to plant (in a tub if I remember correctly) and didn't appear at all. I must have done something wrong, so I'll go this year and ask about it.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:28 AM   #35693
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I'm jealous! I remember going to Holland when I was a child, right in the middle of the flower festival season. Huge advertising billboards made completely from flower petals, fields of tulips everywhere I looked, in every color of the rainbow. And the smells... oh, the fragrance of tulips is still one of my favorites, and when I smell them elsewhere, the memory brings me right back to Mrs. Tinghoos's (sp?) Guest House, the place we stayed the first time I visited. God only knows how I can remember her name... You are soooo lucky to live in the area!

Stitchawl
Old 02-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #35694
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
That is such a nice thing to go to; all these flowers. They had an open-air performance of an orchestra the day I went. Two years ago I bought some lotus-bulbs at the Keukenhof, that were very complicated to plant (in a tub if I remember correctly) and didn't appear at all. I must have done something wrong, so I'll go this year and ask about it.
My sister and I always laugh at how people are so busy taking photos of the flower they fail to enjoy them when they are in the Keukenhof. We take pictures but also take time to enjoy the park.

Quote:
I'm jealous! I remember going to Holland when I was a child, right in the middle of the flower festival season. Huge advertising billboards made completely from flower petals, fields of tulips everywhere I looked, in every color of the rainbow. And the smells... oh, the fragrance of tulips is still one of my favorites, and when I smell them elsewhere, the memory brings me right back to Mrs. Tinghoos's (sp?) Guest House, the place we stayed the first time I visited. God only knows how I can remember her name... You are soooo lucky to live in the area!

Stitchawl
"Area" is relative. It's quite a train and bus trip for me, but probably for American standards it's in the area .

I just saw that they also offer one day photography courses. Not only for the (d)SLR cameras but also for compact cameras and smart phones. That might be fun to treat myself to.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #35695
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
I just saw that they also offer one day photography courses. Not only for the (d)SLR cameras but also for compact cameras and smart phones. That might be fun to treat myself to.
Take it! The camera used is not nearly as important as the compositional skills, and you can get these in the class if it's a good one. The camera just records the scene. It's your brain that 'sees' it and 'frames' it so that the viewer looks just where you want them to look (and ONLY where you want them to look!) when seeing your photos. That's the difference between boring photos and interesting ones. The viewer knows exactly where to look. Their eyes aren't wandering all over the page, on the way to the next one.

A good camera class might just be the difference between having photographs or just snapshots. Take the class!

These same compositional skills are used in ALL the arts, not just photography. They will carry over into your painting, sketching, sculpting, etc., etc., etc.!

Stitchawl
Old 02-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #35696
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Take it! The camera used is not nearly as important as the compositional skills, and you can get these in the class if it's a good one. The camera just records the scene. It's your brain that 'sees' it and 'frames' it so that the viewer looks just where you want them to look (and ONLY where you want them to look!) when seeing your photos. That's the difference between boring photos and interesting ones. The viewer knows exactly where to look. Their eyes aren't wandering all over the page, on the way to the next one.

A good camera class might just be the difference between having photographs or just snapshots. Take the class!

These same compositional skills are used in ALL the arts, not just photography. They will carry over into your painting, sketching, sculpting, etc., etc., etc.!

Stitchawl
I am going to do it, I told my father and he also wants to go (he's going to use my mother's compact camera) and tonight I'll ask my sister if she wants to come, too. So much for a day out on my own .

I'm now trying to think what I can do on my own, but can only come up with the things I usually do (Amsterdam, Rotterdam/The Hague).
Old 02-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #35697
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Change of holiday plans, again. My sister and I had planned on going to Brussels for a couple of day in May or June together. Yesterday I started thinking about where I wanted to go for my "abroad" holiday this year (August of September) and decided on five days in Copenhagen.

Today I told my sister this and she wanted to join me. So, now we're not going to Brussels but we are going to Copenhagen in September.

I still want a couple of days away on my own so I'm now checking out prices for 4 days Antwerpen in May or June.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #35698
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
I like how enthusiastic stitch is all the time
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:52 AM   #35699
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
I like how enthusiastic stitch is all the time
It's a choice I make, Wyndslash. In this modern world we don't get a lot of choices. All too often they are made by our bosses, our teachers, our politicians, our culture, or our parents.

But we DO get one choice that no one can take away from us; our attitude. So I choose to be enthusiastic. I choose to be optimistic. And I choose to be happy. And no one can take those away from me.

Stitchawl
Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #35700
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Basking in my perfect posting tally (6666). Will never post another...err...post...ever again.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?