Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

Device: touch
Question is the vox worth it

I currently use a touch but i also use the kobo app on my cheap Android tablet as i sometimes find it easier in the evenings to read from the tablet.

I like being able to open the kobo app and my book opens at the last page i read using the touch.

I have noticed that the app has not been keeping up to date with the bookmarks recently and there seems to be no way of forcing a sync in the app.

So i am wondering if getting the vox may be the answer. Will need to replace the Android eventually anyway.
d.culloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
I like the Vox. For the price in Canada there isn't much close other than the PlayBook16 on EOL sale wih the 3G PlayBook coming out soon. The reader in the Vox seems nice for me with highlighting, annotations and dictionary lookup which I miss in the PlayBook Kobo app. Pulse and Reading life work on the Vox too of course.

That said, syncing should update the bookmarks if your account is set up correctly with the right user and password on all devices.

Last edited by hpulley; 02-08-2012 at 07:18 AM.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

The playbook is at 169 in the UK with the vox selling at the same price.
I do have my accounts set up properly on the touch and tablet, so this may suggest the app is at fault. I would be intending to use the vox for reading so surfing etc is not a debate.

It sounds like as a reader it does its job even if it is not cheap.

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Do you have the desktop app? if so check if things are syncing correctly to that, should show that the touch/desktop sync with each other

Not used the Android Kobo app (unless it is the same as the app on the Vox), but I sync between Vox, iOS & Desktop without issues

I also use the Vox mainly for reading, for me it is fantastic, I use Kobo app for most things, but also have the Kindle app so I can download the many free books Amazon keep offering
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.culloch View Post
So i am wondering if getting the vox may be the answer. Will need to replace the Android eventually anyway.
Yes, if you want to combine what you have now, a Kobo eReader and a cheap Android tablet into one device, since that is basically what the Vox is.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
The Android and PlayBook Kobo apps are NOT as full featured as the one on the Vox. As a reader the Vox is much better IMO.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
d.culloch
Derek

Thanks for all your posts.
I have both devices and desktop set up properly and the touch and Android app sync to my libaray with no difficulties.
It does seem to be the app as it failed to update twice out of three tests i did today.
I think i will probably get a vox because of the features missing from the app. Quite like the sound of pulse and some of the vox books look like a good read.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
whoadammit
whoadammit began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I bought a vox for myself, my mom, brother, and daughter. We all love our vox's and haven't had any problems with any of the 4 we own...Like any new electronic, it took acouple days to get used to it and figure it all out, but we LOVE ours!!!
whoadammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoadammit View Post
I bought a vox for myself, my mom, brother, and daughter. We all love our vox's and haven't had any problems with any of the 4 we own...Like any new electronic, it took acouple days to get used to it and figure it all out, but we LOVE ours!!!
Similar story here. I bought a Vox for my girlfriend's birthday in November, and she bought one for me for Christmas. She did it in self-defence so I would stop asking to borrow hers!
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
batkinson001
Kobo App user
batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
I have been considering upgrading to a vox from my 3 month old touch however would getting a cheap tablet be better?
as it would allow other uses of the device rather than just reading...

My dad has a vox after he dropped his kobo wifi, and says he has to charge it every night since he reads alot (his main gripe is the damn thing keeps wanting him to sign up for facebook), I would prefer something like the touch's battery life if such a tablet exists...

Any suggestions for a good, yet cheaply priced, tablet?
batkinson001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

check out the blackberry playbook, that seems to be cheaply priced at the moment and gets quite good feedback

dont think you will find a tablet with a battery similar to the touch

what other uses have you in mind? the vox can download a lot of the android apps
Old 03-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
batkinson001
Kobo App user
batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
check out the blackberry playbook, that seems to be cheaply priced at the moment and gets quite good feedback

dont think you will find a tablet with a battery similar to the touch

what other uses have you in mind? the vox can download a lot of the android apps
I heard somewhere that the vox's marketplace was quite limited...

well for my samsung galaxy smartphone 3G+ i use the built in browser for surfing, i use powerAMP (paid) for music, several sports applications, as well as two authenticators (google and star wars)...
batkinson001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
paulsalter
Fanatic

the kobo app store is quite limited, but most apps can be found via google

poweramp I have just looked and that is available from their site to download

the only apps I have had issues with are google ones, but I think this is because the Vox doesn't support the proper android market, there are topics on here for making it compatible, as far as I know this turns it into a standard tablet

dont browse much on it, but I find the built in browser fine, just wish it didnt default to mobile sites

www.getjar.com is the built in app store (its an app that opens that web page), I also have the Amazon app store installed
Old 03-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #14
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by batkinson001 View Post
I heard somewhere that the vox's marketplace was quite limited...
True it is, but by rooting it as directed here ----> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...05&postcount=2

then putting the Google Market on it by using one of the following 2 methods:

Old more time consuming way ----> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=33]

or the new easy way ----> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169942

you'll find there's an endless number of apps that you can install.

Cheers
and good luck
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
With the latest March 2 update? NO!

Post March 2nd update, my Vox now SUCKS!

Now, each time I turn it on, I have Social (let's hug!) Media and book marketing...SHOVED IN MY FACE!

Had this been known, as I was considering a Vox, I NEVER would have bought it. As far as I am concerned, the Kobo Dev Team RUINED my Kobo (Vox) experience.

Enough now, that I am considering selling the Vox, and waiting for another 7 inch (I have one in mind...) pad to become available for purchase. Yeah...I am that mad as a Vox owner, over this ram/forced content update.

Shame on you, Kobo. Shame on you. This was not a feature update. This was a MARKETING update...on MY DIME

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 03-02-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote